Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3527881 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6015 on: October 24, 2009, 07:35:11 am »

Exactly; Traction Fortresses.

Imagine an entire mountain on tank treads rumbling slowly towards you, teeming with Dorfs.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6016 on: October 24, 2009, 07:41:14 am »

Spoilered question:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: October 24, 2009, 08:13:47 am »

That is an extremely valid question Petru.

Although, he already gave us two examples, going to check if the answer is in there.

Edit: Theres nothing that immedeately pops out as the graphics thing. However, there is one thing that seems to indicate something, the [CREATURE TILE] tag, which maybe picks a random symbol to use.

As for custom graphics, it will probably do what other things already do, revert to the ASCII symbol.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:22:46 am by smjjames »

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: October 24, 2009, 08:47:14 am »

Is there a possibility you'll implement predefined automated tasks for dwarves?
More specifically, will the exploration team be able to explore unseen areas by themselves?

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6019 on: October 24, 2009, 09:21:52 am »

sorry to derail but neruz, what the hell is happening to you avatar?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6020 on: October 24, 2009, 10:42:16 am »

Thanks again Toady for answering another of my questions

Also... uhhh... "Unlike" should have been "Unlikely" I don't know you THAT well. :D I make some silly typos.

Also wow Jiri I was wondering about that myself... though I had a by far more simplistic idea in mind... namely I was going to split them up between good, neutral, and evil (In a limited sense of the word)

I probably should get to work on that features thread, but I want to make sure I have a rather sizable list first. I guess I could also do it as one of those "Megathreads".

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6021 on: October 24, 2009, 12:56:30 pm »

Since you pick out where you are from first, it'll probably be constrained by the entity/race settings, with options to break convention or something.

Does this mean that there will be within a single world different conventions of appearance specific not only to races, but to civilizations or regions?  For example, humans from a kingdom in the north side of the world might all have brilliant green eyes, while those from another kingdom on the other side of the world might be identified by their crooked noses and black hair.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: October 24, 2009, 04:08:42 pm »

I've made cave entrances a little better looking than the giant sinkhole things with stairs, but I'll still need actual cliffs before I can make neat entrances.  Right now I'm using fake cliff bulge things.

Oh thank god, those square pits and stairs were unspeakably awful.  Maybe I'll actually complete some Adventure Mode quests now instead of just rampaging through towns.

Specific contaminant syndromes have more information about their wounds (such as a poison on a blade) so it can control local effects more sensibly, but I don't think contaminants themselves know about that.

Yeah, I guess the syndromes would need that info in case the blade crossed a body part boundary.  Or are the local effects done on the tissue level?  I don't think we've seen raws for localized poisons yet -- the syndromes in the creature spoiler all looked systemic.

Also, woot for new dwarf raws.  I liked the pus and enlarged liver.  But damn, it's going to take modders a while to grasp how much power we have now.  There is an insane amount going on there.

Does this mean that there will be within a single world different conventions of appearance specific not only to races, but to civilizations or regions?  For example, humans from a kingdom in the north side of the world might all have brilliant green eyes, while those from another kingdom on the other side of the world might be identified by their crooked noses and black hair.

This isn't an answer so much as an elaboration on the question, but there'll be two different aspects of appearance -- appearance modifiers, which are genetic, and tissue styles, which are tracked at the civilization level.  Appearance modifiers might get localized depending on how worldgen genetics are tracked (in particular, whether it allows genetic drift), and it's not clear whether tissue styles will vary between, say, two dwarven civilizations (the dev log does make it sound like they were "lifted into an entity instance," but that doesn't necessarily imply variance).

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: October 24, 2009, 05:24:39 pm »

You know, I was thinking about how elves will only be able to get down to 3 grime, and it occurred to me that this would likely lead to frequent bathing, thus encouraging the old trope of some adventurer stumbling in on an elf girl bathing in a forest pool.
This lead to another thought though:
Will creatures actually get naked to bathe? If so, how frequently will they remember to put their clothes back on?
Also, do they dry themselves?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6024 on: October 24, 2009, 05:30:12 pm »

it's going to take modders a while to grasp how much power we have now.  There is an insane amount going on there

Maybe it will finally motivate people to make a Creature Creator.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6025 on: October 24, 2009, 06:11:18 pm »

Aye, the new raws are far more complex. It'd be very convenient if someone could come up with some small creature raw creator program.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #6026 on: October 24, 2009, 07:48:58 pm »

Raws are crazy.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6027 on: October 24, 2009, 07:56:42 pm »

You know, I was thinking about how elves will only be able to get down to 3 grime, and it occurred to me that this would likely lead to frequent bathing, thus encouraging the old trope of some adventurer stumbling in on an elf girl bathing in a forest pool.
This lead to another thought though:
Will creatures actually get naked to bathe? If so, how frequently will they remember to put their clothes back on?
Also, do they dry themselves?

Well, Elves could always use a soap plant to get themselves fully clean.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6028 on: October 24, 2009, 08:55:54 pm »

I tend to learn things quite quickly (hell, figuring out how to play DF only took me two or three days), so I'll probably be helping out with updating the modding section of the wiki quite a bit.

The attack raws where it uses all of one type of body bit connected to a larger body bit are intriguing. I imagine quite a few monstrosities can be created with that function if it's used a bit more creatively than just fingernail/biting attacks.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6029 on: October 24, 2009, 09:03:12 pm »

Sword arms and war tentacles, anyone?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 1065