Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3510863 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6030 on: October 24, 2009, 09:05:00 pm »

The attack raws where it uses all of one type of body bit connected to a larger body bit are intriguing. I imagine quite a few monstrosities can be created with that function if it's used a bit more creatively than just fingernail/biting attacks.

Keep in mind that all of those bits still have to strike in the same location.  I think.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: October 25, 2009, 05:50:31 pm »

BODY_SIZE is <year:day:size>.  Size is formerly arbitrary, now it is cubic centimeters I think.  I used weight <-> water <-> volume for most of the animals, since volumes are harder to find.
I had noticed while doing some changes for a creature of mine in a copy  of the newly-posted dwarf raws that adult dwarf size is now 60000.

ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC says what size to use for the body part in the attack calculations, as a percentage of the part's total size.  It's all sort of iffy since everything is blobby (ie sizes are used in 1/2/3 dimensional calcs), so I either use 100 for things like punches/kicks and 1-10 for things like toothy bites.

ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC says how deep the attack can penetrate versus body part size in the same way.
Part of me wonders whether those tags allow higher percentages than 100 for extra-vicious attacks... but since relative sizes can be adjusted, such an option wouldn't make much sense for creatures anyway. Maybe for weapons, depending on how they work now.

It'd take a bit of time to distill it down, so for now I'll just throw a raw at you.  It's still preliminary in a few ways, mostly just the fingernails, but I haven't done my last-minute check on it before the release.

A belated "Whoa!" here, though I already dove into the raw.

The one I'm currently not entirely sure about is APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE. If the earlier screenshots hold, it doesn't seem to govern where in the in-game description that trait appears. If it isn't, maybe it's to determine how important the dwarves themselves consider that trait?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: October 25, 2009, 06:41:02 pm »

BODY_SIZE is <year:day:size>.  Size is formerly arbitrary, now it is cubic centimeters I think.  I used weight <-> water <-> volume for most of the animals, since volumes are harder to find.
I had noticed while doing some changes for a creature of mine in a copy  of the newly-posted dwarf raws that adult dwarf size is now 60000.

60000 cc of water is equal to about 60 kg, or about 132 lbs.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: October 25, 2009, 07:17:09 pm »

Thats about right for a stocky 4 foot tall human. Although heavyset and more muscular dwarves probably weigh somewhat more.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: October 25, 2009, 07:27:06 pm »

That weight is for water, though. Dwarves probably are denser.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6035 on: October 25, 2009, 08:09:34 pm »

Well the human body is about 75% water, I imagine Dwarves are similar too, except with alcohol.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: October 25, 2009, 08:12:30 pm »

Alcohol is actually less dense than water.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: October 25, 2009, 08:15:42 pm »

Erm, yea well I was going on the whole alcohol dependancy thing.... < <

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6038 on: October 25, 2009, 08:16:48 pm »

It would be one way to explain why Dwarves get slower then they are deprived as alcohol

Though I still prefer the "Alcohol is a lubricant for their joints" idea.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: October 25, 2009, 08:58:23 pm »

I assumed that all dwarves have an internal alcohol sack which their bodies run off of. When there is no immediate source with which to replenish it, their bodies' reflex is to conserve it.

If a dwarf's sack gets near empty, their body goes into panic mode and tears through other dwarves, looking for alcohol sacks with which they can replenish their own.

It's a dwarf eat dwarf world out there.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6040 on: October 25, 2009, 09:47:47 pm »

Hang on. If cubic centimeters are entering DF for creature size, and it's related to weight, how does this translate to the rest of the game? Working backward from creature weights in-game, would it be possible to gauge the RL weight of objects measured in Dwarfpounds?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #6041 on: October 25, 2009, 10:30:44 pm »

Would that be so terrible? I mean, everything has densities and such, and it is aiming for realism.

More work for anyone doing a mod, to be sure, but I suspect it will be worth it.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: October 26, 2009, 12:14:13 am »

Would that be so terrible? I mean, everything has densities and such, and it is aiming for realism.

More work for anyone doing a mod, to be sure, but I suspect it will be worth it.

Well, realism IS good, and it'd make it easier to incorporate things if Toady were to default to a real-world metric standard; it'd make the material values for metals and things easier to draw data for, rather than guessing.

I'm just wondering if the cubic centimeters thing is going to be the start of that, or if it's just a rubrick by which to create the new size scale.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6043 on: October 26, 2009, 01:25:26 am »

Hang on. If cubic centimeters are entering DF for creature size, and it's related to weight, how does this translate to the rest of the game? Working backward from creature weights in-game, would it be possible to gauge the RL weight of objects measured in Dwarfpounds?

It's just the first cute, innocent-looking little worm poking its head out of the can.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: October 26, 2009, 03:56:40 am »

It's reassuring to know that someone is currently working on modding the raws before the new version is even released. Toady has done his job well in creating a devoted community.
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 1065