Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3527690 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6315 on: November 05, 2009, 04:28:57 pm »

Oh wow, I listened to the latest Dwarf Talk yesterday and there was that stuff about befriending a dragon and flying around on it and I was thinking, "Pfff, yeah, sure, that'll be the day" - a view reinforced by Toady adding that playing as a dragon adventurer was a post-version-one sort of thing...

and then this drops into our laps.

:o  :o  :o

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6316 on: November 05, 2009, 05:00:34 pm »

To be honest, I think several squads of footmen, trained jaguars and the Eagle Guard were a bit of a disproportionate response to seven dwarves with a wagon

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6317 on: November 05, 2009, 05:09:09 pm »

Eagle back is the only way to ride.

Eventually, in adventure mode, will a player be able to tire out a beast so it can be tamed and ridden?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6318 on: November 05, 2009, 05:10:50 pm »

I really dislike it when people do "Quote only" posts.

Honestly say something!

Haha, around here it's accidental 90% of the time, as it was above.

Yeah, that's what I get for clicking too fast.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6319 on: November 05, 2009, 05:15:06 pm »

To be honest, I think several squads of footmen, trained jaguars and the Eagle Guard were a bit of a disproportionate response to seven dwarves with a wagon
Well, he DID use a debug command, my guess is the king in person and the eagles wouldn't have come if it had been a more natural event. Then again this IS DF...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6320 on: November 05, 2009, 05:21:03 pm »

Well, he DID use a debug command, my guess is the king in person and the eagles wouldn't have come if it had been a more natural event. Then again this IS DF...

It sounded like he just toggled the hostile state and forced a siege to start.  The actual generation of the siegers was probably the same as it will be during normal gameplay.  After all, civ leaders can lead sieges even in the current version.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6321 on: November 05, 2009, 05:43:15 pm »

• Creature/mount prefs for leaders
It sounds so boring compared to the reality of Gandalf Gitek Twigracks.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6322 on: November 05, 2009, 06:12:30 pm »

Holy crap! Mounted giant eagles?! Thank you Toady!!!!

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6323 on: November 05, 2009, 06:23:14 pm »

YESSS.  YEEESSSSS.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

LostandConfused

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6324 on: November 05, 2009, 07:44:23 pm »

Ok I just registered because of the gunpowder thing I read.  That would create much fun.  Filling barrels for traps, or mining/demolition (probably many problems with building destruction), and best of all pitting the powder with buckets for trenches of explosives or a nice demise for captives in a pit.  No more drowning, melting, starving... crushing concussion.

On the other hand, just getting this next release in a month or 3 will be enough.
I'd be willing to wait one or two more for this rope ladder/downward stair construction bit.

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6325 on: November 05, 2009, 08:16:14 pm »

Riding giant Eagles....... Oh My god!!!!!

The whole mount prefstring for leaders did sound like a routine task, but the results.....

I'm going to say this before we get the release..

"This will get messy"

(posting under the influence of alchohol and hiccups may damage your post, don't follow my example)

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6326 on: November 05, 2009, 08:28:30 pm »

Whoa.

Whoa.

That's like something out of Lord Of The Rings, that is.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6327 on: November 05, 2009, 09:05:09 pm »

The whole mount prefstring for leaders did sound like a routine task, but the results.....

Sounds like much more than just changing the leaders' mount prefstrings. Assuming Toady's story of Warlord Getak travelling deep into the mountains and taming the giant eagles, then befriending the jaguars to the west, is actually straight out of legends. I hope we do actually get to see that sorta stuff in legends mode!

Finally, we should have elves with a bit of claw and tooth to their armies.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: November 05, 2009, 10:23:25 pm »

Yeah, and then there's the fact that all birds (and dragons, and harpies, and so on) act like hummingbirds in the DF universe.  A proper implementation of flying would be ungodly complicated, with long banking turns and the need to stay out of twisting tight spaces and so on.  Maybe not impossible though... you could maybe encourage them to fly swoopingly by adjusting path weights relative to the current path vector, inducing them to change direction as little as possible.  Definitely not a total solution though.  I should probably bring it up in yonder pathfinding thread.
Proper flight wouldn't be that hard to implement, for adventurers at least. All you'd need to do would be to have it store velocity instead of speed, with speed simply being the ability to change velocity, then have a certain "minimum flight velocity" required to stay in the air. Pathfinding for that would be a total bitch though. :-\
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6329 on: November 05, 2009, 10:55:36 pm »

I think having them move around in circles while idle would be a easier to implement. Due to the pathfinding system preferring a stragiht-line path towards the target, flying creatures don't need to make many sharp turns unless indoors, in which case they shouldn't be flying in the first place.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 1065