Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3528872 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6375 on: November 06, 2009, 12:40:03 pm »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6376 on: November 06, 2009, 12:51:51 pm »

Another amazing update.

I must say, this has been a great week for watching dev_now.

I wonder - would a cyclops ever rule over the goblins (they apparently did a good job of squashing them flat), or do they not have the leadership capabilities needed? Would constant cyclops-squishing lead to goblin cults worshipping cyclops..es(i?), which could then be infiltrated by a pretender god?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 12:53:47 pm by AlStar »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: November 06, 2009, 01:20:27 pm »

You know, if adamantine is super hard and super sharp, it should be breaking a whole lot. Like, every time you parry something, the edge is crunched.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: November 06, 2009, 01:29:48 pm »

Holy crap, worldgen story is getting even more awesome in the next update with random megabeasts assuming the roles of gods and starting crazy expansion wars. The real reason to why I get so happy with this though is that I can possibly interact with all of that in adventurer mode, even if right now it doesn't get properly recorded in story and worldgen doesn't react to it.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: November 06, 2009, 01:42:33 pm »

You know, if adamantine is super hard and super sharp, it should be breaking a whole lot. Like, every time you parry something, the edge is crunched.

Not necessarily.  Only if it were very brittle would it be snapping all the time.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6380 on: November 06, 2009, 01:47:32 pm »

Aye, IRL diamonds are both really hard, and can be made into really sharp blades too that take a while to get worn.

Since adamantine is considered a metal, I think it'd also be even less brittle.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: November 06, 2009, 01:51:20 pm »

Diamonds ARE brittle, though. If you had a sword made out of a giant diamond, it would break extremely easily.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #6382 on: November 06, 2009, 02:07:06 pm »

The game should tell you little stories like these as it writes the world histories.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6383 on: November 06, 2009, 02:13:07 pm »

Diamonds ARE brittle, though. If you had a sword made out of a giant diamond, it would break extremely easily.
Not necessarily. Diamond (and most carbon-based materials) is a tricky thing. It has different shear resistance depending on the angle of the force, or so I recall. So you could make a sword out of diamond, you'd just have to either be real careful about not getting it hit from wrong angles, or make a few metallic armor-plates. It's similar to obsidian in that regard, except it's harder. And with a different crystal structure. The actual usefulness of such a sword is questionable though, however you cut it. It'd probably make a great ceremonial blade, or an executioner's tool.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: November 06, 2009, 02:24:18 pm »

Hey guys, I don't want to sound like a forum Nazi, but most of the last 60ish posts have been debating the as-yet non-existent physics of a magic game world.  Can it be somewhere else?  I want to talk about Eagle Knights, cyclopean thrushes from hell, and elven deicide.

So, how 'bout them demons?  Righteous stuff, but I wonder how far it goes.  Toady: Demons impersonating imaginary gods is cool and all, but will there be other, perhaps non-sinister, ways for demons to wind up ruling societies?  And while it's probably slated for much later, what kind of interaction is there between these physical demons and the gods civilizations come up with?  Presumably, those gods will eventually stop being so imaginary all the time.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6385 on: November 06, 2009, 02:49:26 pm »

In similar vein, I wonder if the elf ate that monster from the deeps.  And if it did, did it gain any special abilities from the consumption?  Will eating dragon, or demon, flesh at some point give special abilities?

Also, I would love to run into these demons and mad titans in adventure mode.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: November 06, 2009, 02:52:33 pm »

Ooh, I bet some of these titans will in fact BE those gods. Maybe some of the gods are titans that retreated or whatever into the deeps and live on only in myths, perhaps even living in the same region that the civ origionated in.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: November 06, 2009, 02:56:15 pm »

Oh yea, along adventurer mode skills, elves should gain the ability to canibalize in fortress and adventurer mode like they do in world history.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: November 06, 2009, 03:56:27 pm »

That update was hot hot hotness.  I guess the underground horrors can escape after all.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: November 06, 2009, 03:59:08 pm »

No, that was most likely one of the above-ground random titans. Toady's stated that the underground ones don't really do much of anything until you see them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 1065