Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3523687 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6810 on: November 15, 2009, 05:23:03 pm »

Have you determined the cause of the "dwarves run around naked" bug from the dev log 2 days ago?

"11/14/2009: [...] and they keep their clothes on now."

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: November 15, 2009, 05:24:10 pm »

Have you determined the cause of the "dwarves run around naked" bug from the dev log 2 days ago?
He said it was fixed, so he probably did. Why, were you hoping to recreate it?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: November 15, 2009, 05:30:48 pm »

It's sorta funny. I wanna know why it happened. I tend to get a good laugh out of the silly mistakes caused by the code being too large to keep organized in your head.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: November 15, 2009, 05:36:14 pm »

It's sorta funny. I wanna know why it happened. I tend to get a good laugh out of the silly mistakes caused by the code being too large to keep organized in your head.

It's a bug with amusing results.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a bug that had an actual funny cause.  The closest you get to humor is stuff like "Oh I just spent the past two hours overlooking a redeclared variable, haha, time to kill myself" etc.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6814 on: November 15, 2009, 05:47:29 pm »

Whatever.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: November 15, 2009, 05:48:57 pm »

It's a bug with amusing results.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a bug that had an actual funny cause.  The closest you get to humor is stuff like "Oh I just spent the past two hours overlooking a redeclared variable, haha, time to kill myself" etc.

Or the usual "Oh, I forgot a semicolon. *shoots self*".
Or the two I've probably wasted the most time on. Forgetting to call a function or forgetting to, you know, assign the function's return value to anything.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: November 15, 2009, 06:14:46 pm »

Or the usual "Oh, I forgot a semicolon. *shoots self*".
Or the two I've probably wasted the most time on. Forgetting to call a function or forgetting to, you know, assign the function's return value to anything.
I used to mix up the directions of X and Y I was using until I started making a comment to myself about which way they're supposed to go. That lead to a whole lot of funny little errors... Sometimes so confusingly worked into the code it forced me to abandon the project. :(
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: November 15, 2009, 06:20:18 pm »

Hmm I guess I should come up with a question. I have unlimited to be truthful.

The problem I sometimes have is that my questions boarder on suggestions or criticism. Ill ignore this and just make some questions to an extent.

So my Three Questions

In mythology there are often creatures who give birth to similar or random creatures (Greeks had the Mother of all monsters). What are your thoughts of (Semi)Megabeasts and powers who give birth or generate lesser creatures or even vermin?

You seem to have a hard time putting your head around "Extinctified" Cultures judging by posts and Fortress talk. Did you think about it some more since the last talk?
-JIC: By Extinctified Cultures I am mostly refering to cultures that seem almost to exist only to die out before the end of World Generation usually to leave ruins.

Third Question in spoiler

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I mostly Regret putting down the "Pre-history" suggestion because now I think it actually is sort of a great suggestion, if a bit hard to include.

I guess Megabeasts who give birth to lesser beings could be done with the Caste system (Except for the "Random creature" aspect).

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: November 15, 2009, 07:15:50 pm »

Quote from: Neonivek
I have unlimited to be truthful.
??? ???

Well, deinonychi are closer in size at least.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: November 15, 2009, 07:17:47 pm »

Well I meant I have unlimited questions. Which I temper with patience... sort of...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: November 15, 2009, 07:26:31 pm »

Pedantry alert: I don't think "deinonychus" pluralizes like that.  Many Greek-derived words can look like Latin when Anglicized.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: November 15, 2009, 07:43:56 pm »

I liked it back when there were basically just 4 raptors (with a couple of variations on velociraptor).
There was a nicer progression of size. All this Megaraptor and Achillobatar business messed things up. I think they should retcon them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: November 15, 2009, 07:45:09 pm »

The problem is that "Raptor" actually refers to features.

Your not going to start naming Spiders anything that doesn't end with "Spider"

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6823 on: November 15, 2009, 08:08:22 pm »

Pedantry alert: I don't think "deinonychus" pluralizes like that.  Many Greek-derived words can look like Latin when Anglicized.
If I wanted to be a hard-core pedant I would have a working knowledge of classical languages. Lacking that, "deinonychuses" sounds wrong, so I went with the next best. should it be deinonychodes, like octopodes?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: November 15, 2009, 08:15:48 pm »

You guys are experts.

Is there a term for claws when they are made of bone?

I know most animal claws arn't.
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 1065