Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3529349 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8190 on: December 08, 2009, 11:35:24 am »

I could probably write a simple python program to extract/quote all lines in green from a certain date on if Toady wants. It would be much faster than just reading through the whole thread.

And miss all the interesting discussion (which at times gets vaguely on topic, but thats the norm for this thread as it shifts around from topic to topic)? I dunno, but yea if he wants to read the stuff he can.
Good point, nevermind.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8191 on: December 08, 2009, 11:48:47 am »

I could probably write a simple python program to extract/quote all lines in green from a certain date on if Toady wants. It would be much faster than just reading through the whole thread.

And miss all the interesting discussion (which at times gets vaguely on topic, but thats the norm for this thread as it shifts around from topic to topic)? I dunno, but yea if he wants to read the stuff he can.
Good point, nevermind.

Its still a viable idea though.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: December 08, 2009, 12:16:35 pm »

dragon tooth crown

It doesn't get more badass than that, folks.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: December 08, 2009, 12:41:55 pm »

Quote from: Mephansteras
Are we going to be able to make cloth quivers at some point? They show up often enough on migrants and raiders, but we still can't do that ourselves.

It looks like the code is confused there, since they are all supposed to be leather unless the civ can't handle it (elves).  There are places where it uses any clothing material though.  I'm not sure what the actual situation should be, without knowing more about quivers.

Poking around on the internet, it looks like quivers are traditionally made from leather, fur, horn, bark, wood, and heavy fabrics like canvas. So maybe a good compromise would be to let the craft workshop make them of wood or horn? Not sure when we'll get fur, but obviously the leatherworkers can still make leather quivers.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: December 08, 2009, 12:42:05 pm »

dragon tooth crown

It doesn't get more badass than that, folks.
Dragon tooth sword. (nanites optional)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: December 08, 2009, 12:42:31 pm »

Any plans for leather or cloth jumpsuits?  I know they don't fit in the time period but producing and keeping up with all the right fire imp leather gloves and left cave spider silk socks is a bit of a pain.

JoeyLemur

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't fear the lemur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: December 08, 2009, 12:46:21 pm »

Any chance to use skulls for other things, like decorating?  Embedded skulls in the wall... perfect for my dungeon master's bedroom.

I'm mostly just tired of having bin upon bin of totems...

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8197 on: December 08, 2009, 12:55:00 pm »

Perhaps totems should be displayable in conjunction with menacing spikes: stick a skull (or possibly a set number of skulls) on a menacing spike, and the result is treated as a statue.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: December 08, 2009, 12:57:07 pm »

Don't the dwarves have ethics against that? I could see the goblins doing it and we humans have done it in the past.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8199 on: December 08, 2009, 01:03:17 pm »

Don't the dwarves have ethics against that? I could see the goblins doing it and we humans have done it in the past.
Gah!  You're mostly right.  From the raws for Dwarves:
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:APPALLING]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:SHUN]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]
So maybe dwarvern spikes should be limited to hunting trophies, with a possible exception for megabeast skulls.  (It's worth noting that in practice, dwarves in Fortress Mode don't hesitate to make trophies, totems and such, from fallen sentient foes.  Dwarves in Fell and Macabre Moods will do the same to their own race, but they're beyond caring about what others define as "appalling."  So perhaps even making elf skull totems should be impossible.  But that would be a damn shame...)
Dark Fortresses, however, should have plentiful menacing spikes, decorated with whatever the entity considers acceptable for placing on a menacing spike.  (In the goblins' case, skulls of all shapes and sizes.)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:04:56 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8200 on: December 08, 2009, 01:19:52 pm »

Toady,
Since you're cleaning up the tanning issues, I was wondering if it would be possible to add an auto-clean fish option (as discussed here, and here), and/or an auto-render fat option as mentioned in the first link above and here?

Aside from being a suggestion, auto fish cleaning is also a Req item:

# Req439, FISHERY AUTOMATION, (Future): The fishery (and other workshops) should have automation features.

Any chance to use skulls for other things, like decorating?  Embedded skulls in the wall... perfect for my dungeon master's bedroom.

More uses are definitely coming eventually, but this release is more or less in feature freeze now (some planned features already got postponed to later releases, like communicable diseases and squad formations).  There are a couple dev items related to skulls:

# PowerGoal50, SKULL GAMES, (Future): Trolls stack skulls to see how high the piles can get, bowl with skulls and play catch with skulls.
# PowerGoal140, I JOINED THE TEAM WITH THE BEST UNIFORM, (Future): You put on your tunic and government-issue skull shoulder guards. Your commander raises his blade, signalling your unit to scream the imperial battle cry. Seeing your master's sword sweep forward, you charge with the rest of the soldiers.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 02:33:26 pm by Footkerchief »

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8201 on: December 08, 2009, 01:52:57 pm »

Skulls as cups. Nuff said.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8202 on: December 08, 2009, 01:55:47 pm »

There is a game people play in real life in modern times with human finger or possible knuckle bones.

At least that is the impression I got from the grave robbers.

You know what I am probably wrong.

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8203 on: December 08, 2009, 02:07:38 pm »

I'll just leave this here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary

http://www.kostnice.cz/

this picture, look at it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
now, imagine it's a plump helmet or some kind of cheese and you'll see what fortresses will look like once we're able to use skulls as decoration  ;D

(Strange thing is that the pic can only be found on the German wiki article, the english one doesn't have it. huh.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8204 on: December 08, 2009, 02:54:44 pm »

Gah!  You're mostly right.  From the raws for Dwarves:
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:APPALLING]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:SHUN]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]
So maybe dwarvern spikes should be limited to hunting trophies, with a possible exception for megabeast skulls.  (It's worth noting that in practice, dwarves in Fortress Mode don't hesitate to make trophies, totems and such, from fallen sentient foes.  Dwarves in Fell and Macabre Moods will do the same to their own race, but they're beyond caring about what others define as "appalling."  So perhaps even making elf skull totems should be impossible.  But that would be a damn shame...)
Dark Fortresses, however, should have plentiful menacing spikes, decorated with whatever the entity considers acceptable for placing on a menacing spike.  (In the goblins' case, skulls of all shapes and sizes.)

Yea, I looked at the raws myself, but didn't have time to further post on that. They would probably see it as barbaric or something, might not stop them from putting goblin heads on pikes. Its been done before in history as a form of intimidation or a warning.

@Footkerchief: Yea it pretty much is in a feature freeze since he is in the final stages of the  release and making sure that everything works. The rope ladder thing he may tackle after the release since that one is difficult and he will have to make sure that it doesn't make the pathing nuke the FPS.
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 1065