Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3529414 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8205 on: December 08, 2009, 03:09:35 pm »

dragon tooth crown

It doesn't get more badass than that, folks.
Dragon tooth sword. (nanites optional)
OK, seriously, what are you guys talking about? Greasel yields engine modifications, and I don't expect "dragon tooth sword" to yield meaningful results.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8206 on: December 08, 2009, 03:29:52 pm »

Maybe a Greasel is a greased weasel?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8207 on: December 08, 2009, 03:30:48 pm »

Maybe a Greasel is a greased weasel?

Why would you want to grease a weasel outside of yard sticking?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8208 on: December 08, 2009, 03:35:11 pm »

OK, seriously, what are you guys talking about? Greasel yields engine modifications, and I don't expect "dragon tooth sword" to yield meaningful results.

Deus Ex, a PC FPS/RPG released in 2000.  Excellent game but it hasn't aged particularly well.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8209 on: December 08, 2009, 03:37:17 pm »

dragon tooth crown

It doesn't get more badass than that, folks.
Dragon tooth sword. (nanites optional)

I vaunted orange!

Its deus ex the best RPGFPS ever made(whos going to play it now?)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8210 on: December 08, 2009, 03:39:51 pm »

I played its sequel a little. Liked its implant upgrades system. Actually having tradeoffs and whatnot: e'en with the somewhat-more-useful dark implants, it was still a tricky decision.

Anyway.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8211 on: December 08, 2009, 05:15:22 pm »

I played its sequel a little. Liked its implant upgrades system. Actually having tradeoffs and whatnot: e'en with the somewhat-more-useful dark implants, it was still a tricky decision.

Anyway.
The first one's similar, but the plot is supposed to be much better.(I haven't played the sequel yet, so I don't know)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8212 on: December 08, 2009, 07:13:48 pm »

I forgot. What were the new attributes going to be?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8213 on: December 08, 2009, 07:15:28 pm »

Tilesets

LordChess

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8214 on: December 08, 2009, 07:50:31 pm »

Dear Toady,
Will any of these nice changes in this next version have any effects on difficulty? As it stands now, it is quite easy to found your entire fort on one dabbling stonecrafter pumping out stonecrafts (trading these for requested food and drink with each caravan), and never ever come close to running out of food or drink. Failing this, one tiny farm of plump helmets is enough to feed limitless dwarves.

So, will food be a little harder to stabilize? Will dwarves perhaps be hungrier or something? I'm noticing loads of new food items from butchery, and that seems like it will only make food even more trivial.

If anyone else asked this before, cut me a break, this thread is 500 pages long.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8215 on: December 08, 2009, 07:54:44 pm »

Dear Toady,
Will any of these nice changes in this next version have any effects on difficulty? As it stands now, it is quite easy to found your entire fort on one dabbling stonecrafter pumping out stonecrafts (trading these for requested food and drink with each caravan), and never ever come close to running out of food or drink. Failing this, one tiny farm of plump helmets is enough to feed limitless dwarves.

So, will food be a little harder to stabilize? Will dwarves perhaps be hungrier or something? I'm noticing loads of new food items from butchery, and that seems like it will only make food even more trivial.

If anyone else asked this before, cut me a break, this thread is 500 pages long.

Alright to answer your questions

1) For the most part difficulty is unchanged. While more enemies will come after you from more sides then ever before, and while some megabeasts are even more dangerous... for the most part you can still use the "Box myself in" strategy to become immortal.

The time when the game will seriously start picking up in difficulty will be when Toady works on Sieges. So it will be after this release.

2) Food will be easier then ever to load up on. So in terms of food inflation the problem is worse.

3) In terms of trades, nothing has changed.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8216 on: December 08, 2009, 08:48:33 pm »

Yeah, boxing yourself in will still be an unbeatable strategy.  If you DON'T box yourself in or overuse traps, then yes, the new underground will pose an unceasing threat to your fortress.

You'll still be able to churn out stone crap and trade it for all the food you need, although your dwarves might not churn it out as fast anymore due to the revamped skill/attribute system.

Farming hasn't been touched yet.  However, "Farming Improvements" is #11 in Eternal Suggestion Voting (don't forget to vote, y'all) and will move up to #10 when the obsolete suggestions are removed.  Toady's priorities after this release (and the crucial bugfixing) are improved sieges, Adv. Mode, and the top 10 suggestions.  So it should get some attention in the near future.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8217 on: December 08, 2009, 08:58:47 pm »

What is:
Quote from: List of Remaining Items
Issue with Stout creatures vs Items
?

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8218 on: December 08, 2009, 09:01:08 pm »

What is:
Quote from: List of Remaining Items
Issue with Stout creatures vs Items
?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the code that prevents Dwarves (who have the stout tag) from using narrow clothing (as found on Goblins)? So I assume that this means that the system will have to work with the new body definitions.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8219 on: December 08, 2009, 09:06:35 pm »

So are meals going to be a little more comprehensive now? It would be neat to see different body parts make different kind of foods. IE

Elephant intestines-->prepared elephant intestines (butcher shop)

easy meal-->elephant chitterlings
fine meal-->elephant sausage
lavish meal-->elephant sausage stew

Obviously conflicts would come up given that you could make, say, a fine meal consisting of liver and intestines. What is it then, grilled liver, or sausage? The best way to handle that would be to give the first ingredient priority.

"This is an elephant sausage. It is made with elephant intestines and cat liver."

It just seems like with the advent of the tissue system, this would be a great way to spice up the food system (derp). You could even track how good a meal would be by paying attention to the amount of fat and connective tissue in an animal and tying that in to how it's cooked. Slow cooking+connective tissue=delicious, but makes for bad steaks and stuff.

Plants could even get a similar thing going, if you wanted to track sugar content and stuff. If we can nerd out about soil, why not nerd out about food?
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 1065