Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3527037 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11655 on: January 31, 2010, 09:38:32 pm »

Yes, but children are creatures (and nonvermin at that) so it's fairly likely to get a different result from the booze-barrel-guzzling smelter.

TO THE MODDING FORUM
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11656 on: January 31, 2010, 10:25:06 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

JamPet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11657 on: January 31, 2010, 10:44:09 pm »

What indeed. Would the child survive?

Well, I melted a metal cage with a child in it once to find out what would happen and he came out of it just fine.  The two reactions aren't really comparable enough to say for sure what would happen, but I would assume that unless something is specifically mentioned in the reaction it will just be ignored.

You could make a reaction that vaporizes barrels and see if it accepts ones full of booze, I guess.

Melt a metal barrel full of rum and see if it explodes!

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11658 on: February 01, 2010, 12:06:13 am »

A CONTAINS_SAND tag on a reaction product would be pretty bizarre, since there's more than one type of sand.  We're getting something better anyway: "I've been working on plaster orthopedic casts and some more reaction options have come out of that, like the use of the kiln and dumping products in container "reagents" (like an empty bag)."

So a quartz-to-sand reaction or whatever should work fine.

Oh.  Yeah, that would make a lot more sense.  Thanks!

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11659 on: February 01, 2010, 04:19:19 am »

What I meant in regards to axes, is that they are more often used to "chop" than "slice". Therefore, their effective edge is much larger, and the attack gains more energy from the weapon's momentum than of its sidewards motion, as would be a sword's case, or the weight of the wielder in the spear's case.

the harder it is the more likely it is going to be able to retain a sharper edge, and thus it will retain chopping power better as it chops through stuff.  due to the exponential rate at which momentum is lost during a chop, something twice as sharp but half as heavy would be still be better at cutting through something (like a neck).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11660 on: February 01, 2010, 05:56:19 am »

So, in essence, an adamantine axe would still be worse than a sword - the mass difference is negligible, and the axe can't stab.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11661 on: February 01, 2010, 06:28:18 am »

So, in essence, an adamantine axe would still be worse than a sword - the mass difference is negligible, and the axe can't stab.

Actually, looking at the weapon raws, the battle axe is over twice as heavy as the short sword.  Also its chopping attack is 50% "bigger" than the sword's, and just as deep, which probably means a better chance of amputations.

Other weapon stuff... I'm guessing the current version's STICK_CHANCE is now controlled by penetration size, although I wouldn't be surprised if it also depends on what tissues the weapon encounters.

Also, the SHOOT_FORCE and SHOOT_MAXVEL properties are interesting.  It might be cool to play around with weapons with a relatively low MAXVEL that need heavy projectiles to get the most out of the shot -- I think slings would fall into this category, since lead was the favored material for sling bullets (Xenophon apparently said lead bullets went twice as far as stone ones).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11662 on: February 01, 2010, 09:38:41 am »

That's a shortsword, with weight 30 vs the axe's 80(actually volume, as noted by Toady). The longsword is closer to it, at 70. Still, in adamantine's case, having an axe twice as large is like having a weapon consisting of two blocks of styrofoam instead of one - the weight difference is too small. The larger contact area also means less penetrating force, so less useful against armor.

I'll take high-quality steel instead of adamantine for all my dwarves' normal weapons, thank you. Arrows and armor, on the other hand, are perfect for the metal, especially when I mod in superheavy arbalests with a greater maximum fire velocity.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:43:35 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11663 on: February 01, 2010, 09:46:11 am »

Latest news!
Quote from: devlog link=topic=http://bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html
They were laid to rest in pieces in their coffins. A sever bug caused those pieces to be somewhat ill-defined as "partial remains" instead of the specific parts. I'm testing the fix for that right now.

Here lies Urist... or at least his foot... we couldn't find the rest of him... not that we looked very far... I'm sure he's very happy with his grave.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11664 on: February 01, 2010, 09:58:03 am »

Also, the SHOOT_FORCE and SHOOT_MAXVEL properties are interesting.  It might be cool to play around with weapons with a relatively low MAXVEL that need heavy projectiles to get the most out of the shot -- I think slings would fall into this category, since lead was the favored material for sling bullets (Xenophon apparently said lead bullets went twice as far as stone ones).

SO what's the ideal metal for ballista arrow heads?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11665 on: February 01, 2010, 10:24:18 am »

SO what's the ideal metal for ballista arrow heads?

Well, considering the shafts are the size of a log, they would be devastating to flesh and blood even without an arrowhead. Either copper or iron would work well.

Anyways, the fact that we can order them to specifically kill a certain critter is definetly cool. Would also solve the issue of soldiers not attacking so called 'benign' stuff like giant bats and giant cave swallows.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:28:46 am by smjjames »

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11666 on: February 01, 2010, 10:57:04 am »

Ahh, Giant Cave Swallows.  I had a fort that was decimated by one of those; it got into the access tunnels to my power plant's diversion dam...it was chaos.  I think I solved it by flooding the lower half of the underground.

The suspense is killing me.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11667 on: February 01, 2010, 11:04:35 am »

Question:

Is it just in Dwarf Mode, or will AI in adventure mode grow attachments to their weapons, and maybe try to pick them back up when lost?

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11668 on: February 01, 2010, 11:21:40 am »

Does anyone know how the material changes will affect [SHARP] stones for making weapons?

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11669 on: February 01, 2010, 11:45:59 am »

What will come first, DF release or 1000 pages of this thread?
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 1065