Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3510420 times)

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11670 on: February 01, 2010, 11:47:26 am »

I bet DF Release right before we hit 1000.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11671 on: February 01, 2010, 11:57:43 am »

What will come first, DF release or 1000 pages of this thread?

DF release. There's no way we'll be able to fill this with discussion so fast to get 220 more pages in under a month.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11672 on: February 01, 2010, 12:02:38 pm »

What will come first, DF release or 1000 pages of this thread?

DF release. There's no way we'll be able to fill this with discussion so fast to get 220 more pages in under a month.

WHAT

HAVE

YOU

DONE?

You have just issued a challenge.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11673 on: February 01, 2010, 12:20:39 pm »

I only see 467 pages. I am faithful to the old forums.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11674 on: February 01, 2010, 12:22:19 pm »

I'm still riding on the release coming around late February to Early March based on what I have estimated, but I'm still mainly concerned about 40d# stuff since we haven't heard about it in the first couple of days. Because I'm still waiting to hear of 40d17's release which will be the first step towards the final component for the 40d merge.

Cause well, like I said, we're going to need enough time to test that and pick out any small errors down the road. Course if there is a change of plans for this then maybe I should ask a question about it. But I'll save that for later.

Yeah I may be paranoid, but it's mainly because I want to make sure png support will be avaliable with the new version's release. (being a Mac user who lacks a decent MS paint program)

Asides from that though, hearing about Threetoe's bug finds is rather amusing. At least we can say that the remaining test can be slowing being fixed.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 12:23:52 pm by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11675 on: February 01, 2010, 12:38:37 pm »

Is it just in Dwarf Mode, or will AI in adventure mode grow attachments to their weapons, and maybe try to pick them back up when lost?

If you meant adventurers themselves:

Quote from: EvilTwin
Is it possible for my adventurer to become attached to an item? Would it be possible for, say, a rock, to get it's own mention in legends that way?

Adventurers don't form attachments, because I think that's getting inside your head too much...  well, it's sort of a can of worms topic that has come up before.  In any case, this should be mitigated at some point by having objects be nameable by you at any time, which is your way of saying you are attached to the object.  It'll start recording events for them then, but it would still be able to judge the ones that are actually important by looking at the events, so you shouldn't be able to game the system this way, just get the information that you want.  It's one of those things that didn't make it in this time.

If you meant Adv. Mode NPCs, then I don't know. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 12:41:18 pm by Footkerchief »

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11676 on: February 01, 2010, 02:00:12 pm »

So, in essence, an adamantine axe would still be worse than a sword - the mass difference is negligible, and the axe can't stab.

in real life most longswords were weighted towards the hilt, while the axes were weighted towards the head, this meant that if both weighed the same the axe would have more force in a swing.  a falcion though was designed with weight towards the head, which meant it performed very much like an axe, it also wasn't good at stabbing as well, however there was a weapon called a falcata, which performed like a falcion but was also good at stabbing as well.

in game a harder material should hold a sharper edge, and thus improve the penetration value (i would guess), thus with long swords being falcatas, i would say that adamantine axes would perform very similar to adamantine long swords, which if hardness is taken into account would make them better than steel ones.  just look at ceramic knives over cheap steel ones, the ceramic cuts much easier than the less sharp steel ones, and thus the weight difference is more than made up.

That's a shortsword, with weight 30 vs the axe's 80(actually volume, as noted by Toady). The longsword is closer to it, at 70. Still, in adamantine's case, having an axe twice as large is like having a weapon consisting of two blocks of styrofoam instead of one - the weight difference is too small. The larger contact area also means less penetrating force, so less useful against armor.

I'll take high-quality steel instead of adamantine for all my dwarves' normal weapons, thank you. Arrows and armor, on the other hand, are perfect for the metal, especially when I mod in superheavy arbalests with a greater maximum fire velocity.
suit yourself, steel hammers would be better, and steel is most likely much easier to get.

Also, the SHOOT_FORCE and SHOOT_MAXVEL properties are interesting.  It might be cool to play around with weapons with a relatively low MAXVEL that need heavy projectiles to get the most out of the shot -- I think slings would fall into this category, since lead was the favored material for sling bullets (Xenophon apparently said lead bullets went twice as far as stone ones).
SO what's the ideal metal for ballista arrow heads?
it's edged, so adamantine, unless hardness doesn't play into it.  even more so if the weight comes from the log used, fully steel or lead would increase range if that is in effect (i don't think it is though).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 02:04:21 pm by jamoecw »

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11677 on: February 01, 2010, 02:16:38 pm »

I bet DF Release right before we hit 1000.

I'd hope so for the sake of the people with the 50 posts/page setting...like myself

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11678 on: February 01, 2010, 03:07:32 pm »

I'm taking a bet on: The first post on the 1000th page WILL BE someone going "FUCK YES IT'S RELEASED".

For real now. I don't care what's coming first.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11679 on: February 01, 2010, 04:15:15 pm »

What exactly do the impact/shear yield/fracture/elasticity in the material raws do?

The impact stuff had to do with blunt stuff and the shear stuff had to do with cutting stuff (which makes sense), according to an old raw preview, but it didn't go into detail.

I missed this question yesterday, but here's a bunch of quotes that go into much more detail:

Spoiler: long (click to show/hide)

The other mechanical properties apparently come up in wrestling, but there haven't been many details about that:

Are you going to give us details about how all the numbers work in the raw files?

There are some details in the material template preview.

As a note, some of those "unused" ones have uses now -- all of the things like compressive/tensile/bending/torsion get used during wrestling, but that's about it I think.  They are around if we need them now though (not that it was easy to find any numbers, so most of the numbers are copies of ones I found for other materials or types of force...)

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11680 on: February 01, 2010, 05:23:52 pm »

The 'water washing off contaminants' crash bug seems to be a good indication that the whole contaminant system is pretty well modeled.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11681 on: February 01, 2010, 05:41:23 pm »

Goodness I still remember that Roguelike I played where your character could be plagued with constant depression.

There is such little indication of what in the world depressed you that it drives you, in real life, insane.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11682 on: February 01, 2010, 05:58:27 pm »

Such Bugs are the reason why programmers invented "try" and "catch" commands. Its defenitley better to have some of these arround in more complex programm parts that only get used once in a while. edit: Lets face it i have the tendency to loeave them out too.

Regarding spatters. A way to determine quickly how much spatters you have acumulated should be in the game. Like "You are very Filthy" in the description if you hit look on your self. Hehe i wait for the time when a massivly spatter-encrusted item is less worth then a clean one.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 06:04:11 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11683 on: February 01, 2010, 06:22:56 pm »

Hehe i wait for the time when a massivly spatter-encrusted item is less worth then a clean one.
Or better yet, worth more! Not with all contaminants, but what would you pay more for: a sword, or a sword covered in super-rare/expensive dragon's blood?(As BM said, dragons are living conglomerations of expensive magical components.)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11684 on: February 01, 2010, 06:32:40 pm »

Hehe i wait for the time when a massivly spatter-encrusted item is less worth then a clean one.
Or better yet, worth more! Not with all contaminants, but what would you pay more for: a sword, or a sword covered in super-rare/expensive dragon's blood?(As BM said, dragons are living conglomerations of expensive magical components.)

They'd have to prove that its dragon blood first, otherwise they could be scamming you.
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 1065