Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3510306 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11805 on: February 03, 2010, 06:28:58 pm »

Weapon question:

Will magazine fed weapons like the Chinese repeating crossbow or the Roman repeating ballista be possible in this release?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11806 on: February 03, 2010, 06:30:54 pm »

Weapon question:

Will magazine fed weapons like the Chinese repeating crossbow or the Roman repeating ballista be possible in this release?

Nope.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11807 on: February 03, 2010, 06:33:44 pm »

Quote from: LumenPlacidum
Is the penetration size a measure of how far into the body the weapon can cut/pierce?  Like, how many layers and such?

And yeah, the penetration size controls how deep it can go, to avoid other strange things.

Following up on the above: Does penetration depth = (penetration size / contact area)?  If so, why does a morningstar (500/10) penetrate more deeply than a stab from a short sword (2000/50)?

Weapon raws for reference:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

well a weapon like a morning star would be swung all out with little control pass the initial swing, it is intended to do as much collateral damage as possible, meanwhile when you stab with a short sword anything more then 3 inches of the blade is just going to get you killed, so you would have more control and less power.

i haven't used a morning star but i have a flanged mace and short sword so that's what im going by with that :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 06:36:02 pm by Diakron »
Back to Mafia with me!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11808 on: February 03, 2010, 06:50:41 pm »

Depends on whether we're talking flail or not, doesn't it? not another terminology issue
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11809 on: February 03, 2010, 06:58:23 pm »

Depends on whether we're talking flail or not, doesn't it? not another terminology issue

hmm no mentions of flails
Back to Mafia with me!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11810 on: February 03, 2010, 07:03:02 pm »

"Morningstar" is variously (mis?)used to be "spiked mace" or "spiked flail". I don't know which is intended.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11811 on: February 03, 2010, 07:06:16 pm »

They can both be confused with each other though.

Anyways, tunneling through a giant pillar only to find yourself surrounded by a giant lake sounds cool.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11813 on: February 03, 2010, 08:14:21 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=47532.msg1011460#msg1011460Moved.

I think we need a FAQ on terms like "Morningstar" "Flail" "Mace" and other blunt weapons.

I figure that penetration depth (and damage) will be based on tissue resistance to the damage type, and the amount of damage. A mace (blunt) should penetrate a rigid tissue fairly well, but be stopped by a deformable one. A sword (sharp) should penetrate and cut a soft tissue. A hammer (impact) should damage and penetrate a weak (as opposed to tough) tissue.

And let's not forget the damage the tissue can do to the sword. I want to see obsidian swords break frequently!

EDIT: MISPOST
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11814 on: February 03, 2010, 09:03:29 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=47532.msg1011460#msg1011460Moved.

Rad.

I figure that penetration depth (and damage) will be based on tissue resistance to the damage type, and the amount of damage.

Oh yes, it definitely will.  I'm pretty sure the "penetration size" in the weapon raws is used to determine the maximum depth, so you can't stab past the hilt etc.

And let's not forget the damage the tissue can do to the sword. I want to see obsidian swords break frequently!

I want to as well, but that item got delayed.  It's unclear whether the delayed items will have priority after the release.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:05:52 pm by Footkerchief »

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11815 on: February 03, 2010, 09:23:25 pm »

I figure that penetration depth (and damage) will be based on tissue resistance to the damage type, and the amount of damage.

Oh yes, it definitely will.  I'm pretty sure the "penetration size" in the weapon raws is used to determine the maximum depth, so you can't stab past the hilt etc.

So a pike's crosspiece would significantly reduce the penetration size. Although I'd expect you could bury your own hand if there wasn't a hilt. Does this mean simple wooden spears would have an a penetration size limited by the spear's length + the length of your arm?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

seigenblues

• Bay Watcher
  • bamf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11816 on: February 03, 2010, 10:23:55 pm »

can we, uh, please not get off topic about penetration depth.  Please?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11817 on: February 03, 2010, 10:26:08 pm »

I don't know... honestly it is like the site has been sucked dry of all creativity and imagination lately.

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11818 on: February 03, 2010, 11:08:36 pm »

I don't know... honestly it is like the site has been sucked dry of all creativity and imagination lately.

The long release cycle is getting... longer. It is penetratingly painful.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11819 on: February 03, 2010, 11:13:07 pm »

Oh no, please no SCA member weapon debates.  Go back to theoretical physics if you must, but not this.  *sob*
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 1065