Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 839 840 [841] 842 843 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3524377 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12600 on: February 15, 2010, 01:35:44 pm »

For context, any notion of a "generic skill" is essentially an implementation of skill synergy, which is a dev item:

# Req32, SKILL SYNERGY, (Future): Have some skills give bonuses to other skills.

There are a number of existing suggestions about it.  Also, the next version does contain some generic skills, e.g. "Fighter" and "Archer," although that will certainly get replaced/refined during the Combat Arc.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12601 on: February 15, 2010, 01:57:05 pm »

are you implying that this games doesn't exist?

I didn't imply that, you inferred it...incorrectly, of course.

...mixing vehicles and infantry in a fps...mixing planes into fps...

Enjoy!

Doesn't this happen in many many games though?

Timesplitters and Halo are two easy examples.
yeah the conversation predates those, but yeah it has been done for quite sometime, and is now commonplace, same thing with the rts mixed with board game style games (lords of the realm, and today the total war series).
Hey, I've been lurking this forum for the past few months, and with the upcoming release decided to finally make my presence known to ask the following question:

With the changes to the military, will it now be possible to undraft elite soldiers?

I like to run small frontier style forts where everyone receives some military training, to be able to defend themselves in an emergency, but I hate the fact that once they get good enough at fighting, they suddenly decide common work is beneath them.
did you ever have a legendary dwarf become elite?  i don't i ever did and was just wondering what would happen.  i'd imagine that as an elite he wouldn't use his legendary skill anymore, but maybe toady made this a special case.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12602 on: February 15, 2010, 03:00:01 pm »

did you ever have a legendary dwarf become elite?  i don't i ever did and was just wondering what would happen.  i'd imagine that as an elite he wouldn't use his legendary skill anymore, but maybe toady made this a special case.

I don't understand. Do you mean a dwarf legendary in a civilian skill, like Masonry, or Woodcrafting? Once they become an elite soldier they can't be undrafted. I usually rotate legendary miners and woodcutters into the military, but only once they have a suitable successor.

Toady (or anyone who might know) will it be possible in the next version to add a building that takes a craft item as a building material, so that otherwise useless artifacts can be displayed in a custom display case, or on a plinth or similar? If so, will it work similar to a statue, or a particularly fine building? And is there a way to determine which level of Building Destroyer is required to topple them?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12603 on: February 15, 2010, 03:10:08 pm »

I realized these are spoilers:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, in response to the "who is the player" conversation a while back; I believe that in Fortress mode you are the fortress. You can control your doors and influence the dwarves within you; they make you grow and keep you functioning. When there is no more dwarven fortress, you die. (On that subject, it would be nice if the word "fortress mode" was replaced with "city/castle mode", "forest/grove mode", or "tower mode" when you pick different civilizations. [This color code has DF in it.])
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 03:18:20 pm by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12604 on: February 15, 2010, 03:38:07 pm »

On the subject of skill synergy, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I used to play a MUD which had an excellent heirarchical skill system.

So, you would start off gaining, say, 1-5 levels in Fighting.  Once you had reached level 5, you could then train the sub-skills of fighting, which might be, say, sword fighting, shieldwork, wrestling, unarmed.  When you trained a level of sword fighting, your fighting level would go to (with 4 sub-skills) 5.25

When you had sword-fighting to level 5 (and thus fighting to 6.25) you might then split into longsword, short sword, two-handed and dual-sword disciplines.  Putting all your skill points into a dual-sword, then if you reached level 5 of dual-sword, you would be level 6.25 in sword, and level 6.5625 in fighting.

The relationships would be a bit more complicated outside of the strict heirarchy of that system, but the principle of sub-skills contributing to parent skills levels could work well. 
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12605 on: February 15, 2010, 03:53:25 pm »

SmileyMan, are you talking about Discworld MUD?
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12606 on: February 15, 2010, 04:02:17 pm »

Also, in response to the "who is the player" conversation a while back; I believe that in Fortress mode you are the fortress. You can control your doors and influence the dwarves within you; they make you grow and keep you functioning. When there is no more dwarven fortress, you die. (On that subject, it would be nice if the word "fortress mode" was replaced with "city/castle mode", "forest/grove mode", or "tower mode" when you pick different civilizations. [This color code has DF in it.])

Actually, Toady has an official stance as to who you as the player are. He says you embody the "official will" of the fortess.  You're the conglomeration of policies and decisions made by all the leaders of the fortress.  I can't find the first time he's mentioned this, but here's a quote where he refers to it:
Quote from: Dwarfu
Are player powers of promotion hard-coded and not reflected in the raws?  I thought we were going to be able to appoint the baron, and I noticed the others we previously appointed (treasurer, manager, etc) are now appointed by the expedition leader/mayor.

All appointments made by dwarves in your fortress are controlled by the player.  This is part of the slow move toward having every action performed by the player be an official action of some dwarf or another.  The land holder appointments from the civ also take input from the player.  I don't think it would react well to multiple land holder positions at a given level.  It's not really resilient there at this point.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12607 on: February 15, 2010, 04:37:44 pm »

Can we see a raw example of a material breath attack?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12608 on: February 15, 2010, 04:42:29 pm »

I think the raws for one of the new underground "feature creatures" had a poison breath attack.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12609 on: February 15, 2010, 04:53:56 pm »

SmileyMan, are you talking about Discworld MUD?

That was my first thought when reading his post, too  ;D

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12610 on: February 15, 2010, 05:23:03 pm »

Is this dealing with fire breath, cold breath, poison breath etc? In other words, are those in the game? Also, how would entities/invaders fare with attacks like this? (ie fire-breathing civs, civs that have cold damage, poison attacks and the like)

AnotherDwarvernDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12611 on: February 15, 2010, 05:27:43 pm »

;D Hey guys, finally decided to sign up cause I just had to join in on the fun, plus I had a question I've been wondering about for days:
How does item creation in arena mode work? Do you just select the items off a list, or is it some sort of step-by-step process?

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12612 on: February 15, 2010, 05:28:50 pm »

That was my first thought when reading his post, too  ;D

Discworld MUDders unite!
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12613 on: February 15, 2010, 05:55:15 pm »

I hate to be asking a lot of faq's, so I won't green this one out as I direct it to the community. Can these custom workshops be associated with custom skills as well, or will they be limited to the pre-existing skills of the game?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12614 on: February 15, 2010, 05:57:03 pm »

Is this dealing with fire breath, cold breath, poison breath etc? In other words, are those in the game? Also, how would entities/invaders fare with attacks like this? (ie fire-breathing civs, civs that have cold damage, poison attacks and the like)

Material breaths are new, and they have a few options that aren't very breath-like: "Today was material breath weapons. For now, there can be forward puffs of gas/vapor/dust of any material, as well as clouds surrounding and liquid/solid glob projectiles."  Dragon fire is still under a separate system.

Material breaths probably aren't used yet in worldgen combat, but if a race with breath attacks (or poison injections, etc.) sieges your fortress, they'll use their abilities.

;D Hey guys, finally decided to sign up cause I just had to join in on the fun, plus I had a question I've been wondering about for days:
How does item creation in arena mode work? Do you just select the items off a list, or is it some sort of step-by-step process?

It's a step-by-step process, as these screenshots illustrate.

I hate to be asking a lot of faq's, so I won't green this one out as I direct it to the community. Can these custom workshops be associated with custom skills as well, or will they be limited to the pre-existing skills of the game?

Limited to pre-existing skills.  There aren't any custom skills yet.
Pages: 1 ... 839 840 [841] 842 843 ... 1065