Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3523601 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12660 on: February 16, 2010, 02:40:23 pm »

I wonder how he chose the testers?  he said they were "old hands"

maybe he sorts everyone by their forum post count & picks the top 3 or something.  Talk about galvanizing community participation!

The hypothesised missing Adams brother between ToadyOne and ThreeToe, of course. Extrapolating from their names, this one would presumebly be "To-Two-ad"

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12661 on: February 16, 2010, 03:59:22 pm »

soooo...

crossbow bolts not able to penetrate clothing; I think I can safely say that the people who wanted ranged attacks to be nerfed are now satisfied... until Toady fixes it.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Todestool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12662 on: February 16, 2010, 04:28:05 pm »

If the clothing is silk, bolts not piercing through would actually be legit, though the bolt with silk wrapped around it should still pass into the body.  The biggest advantage is making the bolt easier to remove.  I believe the Huns used this to great advantage in their invasions of Europe, though a quick survey of the Internets failed to confirm this.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12663 on: February 16, 2010, 04:35:28 pm »

If the clothing is silk, bolts not piercing through would actually be legit, though the bolt with silk wrapped around it should still pass into the body.  The biggest advantage is making the bolt easier to remove.  I believe the Huns used this to great advantage in their invasions of Europe, though a quick survey of the Internets failed to confirm this.

That is something I wondered about in the first LoTR movie.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12664 on: February 16, 2010, 04:42:01 pm »

The hypothesised missing Adams brother between ToadyOne and ThreeToe, of course. Extrapolating from their names, this one would presumebly be "To-Two-ad"

Well, toads apparently have four toes on their front feet and five on their back feet, so the third brother presumably would be some sort of two-toe'd critter, so they can cover two, three, four, and five toe situations.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12665 on: February 16, 2010, 04:53:03 pm »

That is something I wondered about in the first LoTR movie.
Obviously mithril is so awesome that when subjected to point forces it instantly changes material properties, much like a non-newtonian fluid.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12666 on: February 16, 2010, 05:00:17 pm »

Spoiler: LotR (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12667 on: February 16, 2010, 05:09:32 pm »

Spoiler: LotR (click to show/hide)

Hehehe, Tolkien said breast...
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

toiski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12668 on: February 16, 2010, 05:34:48 pm »

Well, toads apparently have four toes on their front feet and five on their back feet, so the third brother presumably would be some sort of two-toe'd critter, so they can cover two, three, four, and five toe situations.

Two-toed... hmm... CamelToe? That would probably make her a sister, though.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12669 on: February 16, 2010, 05:37:11 pm »

The mithril shirt only had a certain amount of give in it, and it could not be torn or stretched.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12670 on: February 16, 2010, 05:59:20 pm »

A "certain amount"? It was a chain shirt. You could flatten it out if you want; in fact, that's how it was given to him.

In other words, it had enough give for him to get run over by a steamroller and completely flattened, without stretching or damaging the mithril itself in any way.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12671 on: February 16, 2010, 06:09:42 pm »

A "certain amount"? It was a chain shirt. You could flatten it out if you want; in fact, that's how it was given to him.

In other words, it had enough give for him to get run over by a steamroller and completely flattened, without stretching or damaging the mithril itself in any way.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12672 on: February 16, 2010, 06:15:25 pm »

Oh yeah.
Lotr movie was dumb. There was a slight mentioning of a cave troll in the book IIRC, but it was an orc cheiftain that actually wounded Frodo, before getting smashed by Anduril.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12673 on: February 16, 2010, 06:16:41 pm »

In the book, the shirt wasn't neatly folded. It was wrapped up, but not folded like a shirt.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12674 on: February 16, 2010, 06:20:45 pm »

Actually, if you consider that the shirt has a definite limit to its free movement - namely, the difference in circumference between it and whatever part of the body it's worn on - then you'll see that past a certain point it'll spread the force over a large part of the body. If the shirt is worn tight, with naught but a few centimeters of difference, the spear will only be able to freely push in those few centimeters (or maybe even half of those few) before the shirt presses on the body and dissipates the pressure over a wider area, resulting in a massive bruse but no skewering.

I guess I'm the rare kind of dungeon master that likes to explain things. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 1065