Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3510131 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12705 on: February 17, 2010, 07:09:43 am »

Creatures in general will NOT become as strong (at high skill levels) in the next version, since there will actually be attribute caps, though.

So guys like Morul basically won't exist.

For now, lets bask in his glory.

Stay Drawfy my friends.
You know in your heart of hearts that the definition of "Dwarfy"  is changing, and that's why you can't bring yourself to say it unironically. :D
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12706 on: February 17, 2010, 07:24:58 am »

Creatures in general will NOT become as strong (at high skill levels) in the next version, since there will actually be attribute caps, though.

So guys like Morul basically won't exist.

That's a shame. I liked when a monster would kill a couple guys and I'd know I'd have to do something about it REAL SOON or else he'd get named and start piling on the stats to infinity.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12707 on: February 17, 2010, 07:49:15 am »

Except that doesn't happen either, because most creatures don't learn skills.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12708 on: February 17, 2010, 08:03:18 am »

Well adding [CAN_LEARN] is a fairly straightforward process. Meeting a Legendary Biter Wolf should be quite entertaining.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rystic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12709 on: February 17, 2010, 08:05:29 am »

Well adding [CAN_LEARN] is a fairly straightforward process. Meeting a Legendary Biter Wolf should be quite entertaining.

Legendary Nibbler Carp
A sturdy creature, fond of drink and industry.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12710 on: February 17, 2010, 08:10:42 am »

That's a shame. I liked when a monster would kill a couple guys and I'd know I'd have to do something about it REAL SOON or else he'd get named and start piling on the stats to infinity.

The dwarves in my current fort just named around half a dozen Cave Swallowmen all at once. I think a Goblin Ambush may have ran into them by accident.
Evil surroundings are fun (and probably FUN too but we're doing OK so far).
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12711 on: February 17, 2010, 09:48:37 am »

My guess is that GCS will become even more powerful than before.  Bumping them up to a underground king of beasts.  I mean think about it, tons of unimportant parts like before, but now new and improved with bone 'plate mail'.

Plus with all the new underground space they could very well be 10 x or more more common than they are now.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12712 on: February 17, 2010, 09:50:03 am »

My guess is that GCS will become even more powerful than before.  Bumping them up to a underground king of beasts.  I mean think about it, tons of unimportant parts like before, but now new and improved with bone 'plate mail'.

Plus with all the new underground space they could very well be 10 x or more more common than they are now.

More to the point, marksdwarves are getting nerfed in the next release. (as are  dwarf champions generally with the attribute cap, but still).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12713 on: February 17, 2010, 09:55:18 am »

The dwarves in my current fort just named around half a dozen Cave Swallowmen all at once. I think a Goblin Ambush may have ran into them by accident.

That's just because cave swallowmen can talk. Anything with [CAN_SPEAK] gets named after a while; that's probably why they were all named at once.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12714 on: February 17, 2010, 10:30:53 am »

Quote from: Toady One
People wrestling teeth
Wouldn't that more fall into the category of wrestling teeth people? (which, by the by, are possible next release.)
People-wrestling Teeth.

I'm gonna guess that means that Toady forgot to add a "too-small-to-wrestle" tag to teeth?

If so, said tag or consideration should be omitted for things like unicorn horns and boar tusks. Though I don't think the game acknowledges things like "the boar can't bite me if I am holding his tusks".

Hey guys, back from vacation! :)

Anyways, did anybody else think of a dwarf trying to wrestle a dragons tooth, while still attatched to a living, breathing, drooling dragon when they read the devlog there.

If it was a regular animal tooth, it would be all the more hilarious.

@G-Flex: I guess that explains why I never see troglodytes get names.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12715 on: February 17, 2010, 10:45:34 am »

Anyways, did anybody else think of a dwarf trying to wrestle a dragons tooth, while still attatched to a living, breathing, drooling dragon when they read the devlog there.

When I read that part of the devlog, my first thought was "Dwarven dentistry!"
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12716 on: February 17, 2010, 10:46:08 am »

Quote from: Devlog
I forgot to set the boiling point of the gas inside the body of a floating creature, so the poor thing died with the message "<name> has condensed." The former gas was in a puddle. You'll still be able to get this to happen if you lure them out of the caves onto a glacier.
This is so awesome. The phase change syntax is also nifty; when you see a message like "Urist Kogancatten has sublimated," you know something very very bad has happened.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12717 on: February 17, 2010, 10:55:09 am »

Quote from: Devlog
I forgot to set the boiling point of the gas inside the body of a floating creature, so the poor thing died with the message "<name> has condensed." The former gas was in a puddle. You'll still be able to get this to happen if you lure them out of the caves onto a glacier.
This is so awesome. The phase change syntax is also nifty; when you see a message like "Urist Kogancatten has sublimated," you know something very very FUN has happened.
Fixed
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12718 on: February 17, 2010, 11:11:11 am »

firefly brains

LOL!

The feature layers also weren't taking into account the local erosion elevation drops from rivers, so occasionally a stream bed would be floating in the sky above underground features and cave-ins would happen immediately, leaving little spikes of stream bed where the cavern's columns and walls had been.

Are you talking about brooks or streams here? Some people misname brooks as streams, so just wondering.

Anyways, I hope that isn't entirely fixed (except for the cave-in part) because having a stream or river or whatever drop many levels down into a cave would be cool.

Is the cavern system going to take into account the type of rock it goes through? Like for example they would be bigger/more extensive in limestone and similar rock but be smaller in erosion resistant rocks like granite for example? It might be something to consider for the future though since I'm not really sure how you would handle it programming wise.

Also, regarding the floating critter, can you say floating gas giant dwellers? :)

I wonder if we can create a will-o-the-wisp style creature which has a transparent skin, is made up of 95%+ gas bladder and the gas inside is luninous or burning or something.

Oh yea, considering most gases don't condense or turn to liquid at very, very, very low temperatures (unless we are talking about steam, mercury vapor or some other metal vapor), the glacier would have to be on Pluto or something. Of course though, it could be some completely made up compound.

Edit: Scratch that last paragraph, I realized that it could be steam (if the environment is hot enough) or some made up compound.

edit2: greened a semi-question, also i'm certainly rambling off today, heh.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:34:36 am by smjjames »

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12719 on: February 17, 2010, 11:54:51 am »

Cave crocs should be deadly of course, but killing 20 out of 40 beak dogs does not sound right somehow.  Anything big enough for a goblin to ride on it should have a huge beak about twice the size of my hand.  Even beaks on real-life raptors are extremely powerful, so imagine one about 5 times this size, on a creature the size of a St.Bernard or larger.
Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 1065