Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3510596 times)

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12735 on: February 17, 2010, 01:49:41 pm »

"firefly brains".
The first thing that i thought of is Monthy pythons Life of Brian. Extract \/\/

"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar. Tuscany fried bats...."
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12736 on: February 17, 2010, 01:50:23 pm »

Well we go now breathweapons and a poison framework.

Also was the Gas-thingy filled with Butane? It would make sense to have a hydrocarbon in a creature und Butane would have the right the right boil/condensing point with -0.5 °C thought i am not sure if is lighter then air.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12737 on: February 17, 2010, 02:08:45 pm »

Looking at ESV, the top ten are:
Improved Hauling
Standing Production Orders
Workshop Material Selection
Improved Pathfinder
Improved Mechanics
Full Graphics Support
Job Priorities
Auto-mining
Guild Masters
Farming Improvements

Are any of those actually partially addressed already? (And thus deprecated moving "Adventure skills" into the top ten - woot!)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12738 on: February 17, 2010, 02:23:22 pm »

Improved Hauling
Improved Pathfinder
Improved Mechanics
Full Graphics Support
Job Priorities
Auto-mining
Guild Masters
Farming Improvements

Are any of those actually partially addressed already? (And thus deprecated moving "Adventure skills" into the top ten - woot!)

None of those are getting addressed by the upcoming release, but Adv. Skills will get worked on after this release even if it's not in the top 10:

After this release, the next series of shorter releases will be made up of, in no set order:
1) Improved sieges against your fortress
2) Adventurer skills/entity stuff, per the dev next stuff
3) Eternal suggestions voting stuff

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #12739 on: February 17, 2010, 03:06:23 pm »

Well we go now breathweapons and a poison framework.

Also was the Gas-thingy filled with Butane? It would make sense to have a hydrocarbon in a creature und Butane would have the right the right boil/condensing point with -0.5 °C thought i am not sure if is lighter then air.

Nope, butane is heavier than air.

Ironically, the only thing I remember from Chemistry classes is what our bunsen burners were fueled with.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12740 on: February 17, 2010, 03:10:31 pm »

With the addition of "souls", will it be possible for people to punch people in the soul? Or tear them out?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

seigenblues

• Bay Watcher
  • bamf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12741 on: February 17, 2010, 03:21:51 pm »

I also notice Footkerchief has been noticably quiet on whether or not he's one of the early testers :)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #12742 on: February 17, 2010, 03:30:41 pm »

Improved Hauling
Improved Pathfinder
Improved Mechanics
Full Graphics Support
Job Priorities
Auto-mining
Guild Masters
Farming Improvements

Perhaps indirectly, for instance: burrows will allow a crude, but more refined material selection than in the current.

Also, Footkerchief deserves an early build opportunity for forum wrestling of the highest degree.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12743 on: February 17, 2010, 03:33:25 pm »

It could be any of us.  I could even be one!

I wish I was one...

But it's probably the folks from the original DF release.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12744 on: February 17, 2010, 03:35:51 pm »

I always thought Footkerchief was one of the forum mods, he certailny seems to be filling that role.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

tombthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • oddly appropriate name
    • View Profile
« Reply #12745 on: February 17, 2010, 03:41:58 pm »

if i may engage in a bit of inductive reasoning...

1) Floating gaseous creatures
   a) ...from deep in the caves!
   b) capable of being lured outside.

2) the new raws have "soul" tags
    a) ... which currently serve as "containers" for the mental attributes.

3) poisons!  contaminants!

from 1, 2, and 3, i will make an inductive guess that a new type of FUN we will encounter is... MIND FLAYERS! :D

I don't know what game you are playing, but Ilithids are typically corporeal
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12746 on: February 17, 2010, 03:45:17 pm »

Best. Dev. Log. Ever.

The human village of The Settlement Of Gasping.

"Firefly brains! Fiiiiiiirefly brains! Come taste my wares! Firefly brains, get em while they're, um, cerebral! Ah, Mayor McHuman. Can I tempt you with a delicious, highly nutritious excised firefly brain?"

"No thank you, Shopkeeper McHuman. I had a complete breakfast, as today my plans are going ahead!"

"Would your plans involve all these crates marked 'giant mould spore', Mr Mayor?"

"Most perceptive, my friend! You see, I lie in mortal dread each night of tHaT wHiCh lIeS bElOw. We cannot build our houses on this tainted soil. We cannot! Which is why I plan to make The Settlement Of Gasping into a flying village, the first one of its kind. We will build floating roads for trade, and there are plenty of floating streams up there for fresh water."

"You know, I always wondered about those. But Mr Mayor, isn't it dangerous to be so high up? What if people stray from the floating roads at night, and fall to the ground?"

"Piffle. Our industrious firefly farms will provide all the light we need. Oh, that reminds me, I must put in an order for another box of millimetre-long cleavers when the dwarven caravan next comes round."

"Well, you've sold me. How do you plan to make our houses fly, sir?"

"We will be born aloft on bundles of giant mould spores, imported specially! Look here, my friend, upon these magnificent creatu ...oh, they've melted. Oh well."

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12747 on: February 17, 2010, 04:02:10 pm »

Whats all this early tester business, eh?  Aren't we all just beta testers?  Er, no, alpha testers?   ;D

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12748 on: February 17, 2010, 04:43:12 pm »

did you ever have a legendary dwarf become elite?  i don't i ever did and was just wondering what would happen.  i'd imagine that as an elite he wouldn't use his legendary skill anymore, but maybe toady made this a special case.

I don't understand. Do you mean a dwarf legendary in a civilian skill, like Masonry, or Woodcrafting? Once they become an elite soldier they can't be undrafted. I usually rotate legendary miners and woodcutters into the military, but only once they have a suitable successor.

Toady (or anyone who might know) will it be possible in the next version to add a building that takes a craft item as a building material, so that otherwise useless artifacts can be displayed in a custom display case, or on a plinth or similar? If so, will it work similar to a statue, or a particularly fine building? And is there a way to determine which level of Building Destroyer is required to topple them?
yeah, i've never had my legendary dwarves do enough military to become elite.  i figured they would just be like any other elite at that point and can't be undrafted, but never having done such i don't know if it is a special case.
If the clothing is silk, bolts not piercing through would actually be legit, though the bolt with silk wrapped around it should still pass into the body.  The biggest advantage is making the bolt easier to remove.  I believe the Huns used this to great advantage in their invasions of Europe, though a quick survey of the Internets failed to confirm this.
well silk does have a rather high tensile strength, in fact it is close to kevlar.  problem is that even kevlar would get pierced by bolts.  the speed at which it pierces dictates whether or not it would wrap around the bolt.  the lighter and less friction it has the faster it can do so, maybe if the bolt pierced armor first and didn't go in very deep.  there is another advantage of silk, in that like kevlar it won't leave bits of itself in the wound as readily as other cloth.  silk is also fairly inert to the body compared to other fabrics.

as far as huns facing crossbows, it is unlikely, as the huns faced gauls, and romans, both of which didn't use crossbows.  the ranged projectiles that they faced would be javelins, and short bows (not counting the balista style weapons).  the javelins have some decent penetrating power due to the weight, but the short bows could be stopped by enough layers of cloth (and thus the accounts you remember are probably from short bows).

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12749 on: February 17, 2010, 05:26:18 pm »

Dude, the Romans did have crossbow like weapons. It was called the Scorpio or something.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 1065