Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3504714 times)

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12795 on: February 18, 2010, 01:16:12 pm »

When I read the latest dev log, I had a massive "300" flashback. I can imagine the Dwarf looking at his splint in wonder. Before roaring "Splint? I need no splint! This. is. DWARF FORTRESS!"
I reckon the surgeon wasn't too thrilled to see his patient come back in for the same procedure though.

Gosh, the more I read these dev logs, the more my mind starts wandering. All those possibilities ... I really should start a community fortress.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12796 on: February 18, 2010, 01:17:01 pm »

Quote from: devlog
The latest dwarf, an idler, threw his splint on the ground immediately because it wasn't part of what he expected for his normal clothing and because he didn't think his arm was broken at all. He also threw his wound dressing on the ground. Fortunately he didn't pull out the sutures. That's all fixed.

There should be a chance for dwarves with certain personality traits to do this anyways - "What do you think I am, some sort of girly-man-dwarf? I'm much too Macho to need bandages or a splint for this injury - 'tis but a scratch."

It would even make sense, for Dwarves with very high Toughness, who might be able to perform just fine with a broken arm.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12797 on: February 18, 2010, 01:30:06 pm »

It seems to me this whole medical business is going to involve a lot more resource management and item aquisition than I am used to. I mean, I have never had silk in my forts because I've never needed silk in my forts (and I've never been ballsy enough to capture the GCS). I just wonder whether or not, with all the new stuff coming out, it'll become a lot more stressful trying to obtain and mantain a supply of everything you need to keep your fort running.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12798 on: February 18, 2010, 01:34:07 pm »

It seems to me this whole medical business is going to involve a lot more resource management and item aquisition than I am used to. I mean, I have never had silk in my forts because I've never needed silk in my forts (and I've never been ballsy enough to capture the GCS). I just wonder whether or not, with all the new stuff coming out, it'll become a lot more stressful trying to obtain and mantain a supply of everything you need to keep your fort running.

I've noticed that too (for example, gypsum apparently has a use now in making casts), but it sounds like it's set up so you can use lots of different substitutes -- different types of cloth thread, different types of splints, etc.  I think as long as you have some way of generating cloth you'll be fine.

The really tricky part is going to come when he starts implementing diseases and cures and we have to trade for Golden Salve or whatever. Which actually could get kinda neat but will be yeuurgh complicated.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12799 on: February 18, 2010, 01:38:46 pm »

I'm sure the more cunning minds here will manage to set up GCS silk farms that provide all the silk needed for bandages and such. With a staggering net gain of about three point seven percent, since the rest will be used up treating the workers of the farm.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12800 on: February 18, 2010, 01:41:18 pm »

Well sweitx the RNGs are fine but in Rpg systems you want as much as linear correlation as possible. For example if you have a Body-partsystem based on a 20 sided die for hits where 19 means the Neck and 20 the head it gets very unlikely to hit these parts if you dont have a good linear correlation. For stuff like ego-shooters etc. they are sufficient i asume.

The same goes for worldgen where you would get many "similar" worlds because your RNG is scrap. Another example would be the seeding of "genes" in the new version. I wonder if there are new options in the advanced worldgen dialog. I mean apart from the UG-stuff.

Also i think you mean "Linear Congruential Generator" and not LGC.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12801 on: February 18, 2010, 01:42:15 pm »

Quick question about the material state tag in his Gas <creature>:

Can the material state accept multiple values?  Or be left undefined if we don't care?

I'm just thinking of an Iron Golem, where it might be ok if it melted, but not ok if it boiled.
(how awesome would that be?  "pull the lever! pull the lever!" <sounds of magma gushing> "Oh crap...")

If you wanted to make a molten fat golem so you gave it an internal temperature, would it be able to freeze or evaporate?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12802 on: February 18, 2010, 01:55:19 pm »

I'm interested in this as well. If we don't specify a temperature but set the material state to one that exists in abnormal temperatures (frozen water, molten rock), will the creature's temperature change to accomodate, or will it just immediately phase change upon meeting the player?

Btw, in similar vein, will there be a way to set a creature's "default temperature" without making that temperature permanent? (or is homeotherm already doing that?)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12803 on: February 18, 2010, 03:56:10 pm »

I'm interested in this as well. If we don't specify a temperature but set the material state to one that exists in abnormal temperatures (frozen water, molten rock), will the creature's temperature change to accomodate, or will it just immediately phase change upon meeting the player?

Btw, in similar vein, will there be a way to set a creature's "default temperature" without making that temperature permanent? (or is homeotherm already doing that?)
I think it would immediately change phase at spawntime, since that seems to be what happened to the gas critter from the devlog.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12804 on: February 18, 2010, 04:03:21 pm »

Well sweitx the RNGs are fine but in Rpg systems you want as much as linear correlation as possible. For example if you have a Body-partsystem based on a 20 sided die for hits where 19 means the Neck and 20 the head it gets very unlikely to hit these parts if you dont have a good linear correlation. For stuff like ego-shooters etc. they are sufficient i asume.
I understand that for RPG purposes, having a RNG that can generate all possible value with relatively the same frequency is likely required.  I'm arguing that the simple LCG (thanks, I noticed that I used the wrong abbreviation) may-be "good enough" if used carefully (such as using only the upper bit range of the random number).  I'm aware the LCG has crappy number distribution in certain case.

The same goes for worldgen where you would get many "similar" worlds because your RNG is scrap. Another example would be the seeding of "genes" in the new version. I wonder if there are new options in the advanced worldgen dialog. I mean apart from the UG-stuff.
I agree.  World-gen should use a strong RNG with good pseudo-random output as it shouldn't be constrained by execution time (unless, of course, said time approach some really high value such as an hour per "try").

Also i think you mean "Linear Congruential Generator" and not LGC.
Yep, thanks for pointing that out.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12805 on: February 18, 2010, 04:06:01 pm »

WTF? Floating creatures filled with gas???
Don't worry, they have to have a [VEGETARIAN] tag...
They only eat Vegetarians?

So they eat Elves? Quick! We must learn to manipulate these creatures!
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12806 on: February 18, 2010, 04:33:30 pm »

While on the subject of webs.

Will it be possible to make poisonous or corrosive webbing?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12807 on: February 18, 2010, 04:56:52 pm »

I don't see why we couldn't make scalding webbing. Just use a custom web template with core temperatures jacked way up. Thats an interesting idea.

As far as corrosive/poison web idk.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12808 on: February 18, 2010, 04:58:46 pm »

I don't see why we couldn't make scalding webbing. Just use a custom web template with core temperatures jacked way up. Thats an interesting idea.

Maybe have the web have some kind of contact poison?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12809 on: February 18, 2010, 05:02:01 pm »

Maybe have the web have some kind of contact poison?

Oh yea duh! I think I would be able to make flaming webs. (temperatures high, with low ignite point) or even freezing web (extremely low temperatures)
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 1065