Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1061 1062 [1063] 1064 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3510291 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15930 on: March 31, 2010, 05:24:22 pm »

It would literally be the blood of Armok, of course.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15931 on: March 31, 2010, 05:27:43 pm »

Right now all the creatures that have leather derive it from the LEATHER_TEMPLATE material template, with no customization.

Oh, whoa, I'd forgotten about that file. Are those properties only for creatures? That is, if you fiddled with the properties of magma in there I'm guessing it'd only affect magma men etc., not all magma in the world.

For now they're pretty much only relevant for creatures and items, yeah.

On the subject of an organic fortresses, I imagine it would be relatively simple to make meat into a layer stone? Swap all tissues and stones, so that you must mine for food, and perhaps add veins of bone. (as a custom stone type, rather than the bones we currently have).

Item types are the hangup here, as usual.  Mining is hardcoded to produce items of type STONE (boulders), rather than MEAT.  You'd probably need a reaction to transform the meat-stones into edible meat.

Spiders Everywhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15932 on: March 31, 2010, 05:36:37 pm »

On the subject of an organic fortresses, I imagine it would be relatively simple to make meat into a layer stone? Swap all tissues and stones, so that you must mine for food, and perhaps add veins of bone. (as a custom stone type, rather than the bones we currently have).

Item types are the hangup here, as usual.  Mining is hardcoded to produce items of type STONE (boulders), rather than MEAT.  You'd probably need a reaction to transform the meat-stones into edible meat.

Grr you guys are on to my plans. I've been planning a mod where you play parasitic worms digging into a fleshy world for ages, I just need custom workshops and stuff to make it work.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #15933 on: March 31, 2010, 06:10:39 pm »

Toady, I know you're going to be spending the next few weeks after release mostly doing bug fixes and whatnot. But for those of us who mod, are you planning on spending some time answering modding questions? If so, what would be the best way for us to ask you questions?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15934 on: March 31, 2010, 06:28:32 pm »

ON THE TOPIC OF ORGANIC STONE

Is it possible to restrict certain stone types to certain layers of the underworld? Like say, you dig deep enough and then you start encountering hellish, organic landscapes?

I mean, it already works like that with adamantium, but I don't know if this behaviour is hardcoded or not...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:35:23 pm by Fault »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15935 on: March 31, 2010, 06:33:57 pm »

On a less horrific note, this would make Candyland Fortress actually work:  layers of chocolate and marzipan and marshmallow fluff and scattered gems rock candy and liquorish.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15936 on: March 31, 2010, 06:36:22 pm »

that might happen natrually when we eventually get sphere-alligned landscapes...

is there a food sphere?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #15937 on: March 31, 2010, 06:42:25 pm »

Just had a disturbing vision of dwarves mining into a giant Cylindraspis Stellar.
(eg Humongous Void Turtle)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:58:02 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #15938 on: March 31, 2010, 06:43:14 pm »

Are the bugs you're fixing causing save-breaking changes? If so, about how frequently?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Spiders Everywhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15939 on: March 31, 2010, 07:12:33 pm »

that might happen natrually when we eventually get sphere-alligned landscapes...

is there a food sphere?

There is indeed, it's associated with Agriculture and Fertility and in opposition to Blight.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Sphere

Actual edible landscape seems rather beyond current plans, but if everything makes it into the raws then all bets are off for mods.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15940 on: March 31, 2010, 07:18:12 pm »

a tester wouldn't throw out a prediction about release.

Unless the new version was so awesome it sent them INSANE.

Toady,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #15941 on: March 31, 2010, 07:36:27 pm »

The devlog suggests that deeper means more sophisticated (and corrupted) for underground entities,
not sure this means a random depth for a single entity or multiple entities at various depths. I figured the latter, but that might be wishful thinking.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15942 on: March 31, 2010, 07:40:11 pm »

a tester wouldn't throw out a prediction about release. and that was the third seal broken, of course the lamb already opened the second seal.

I wasn't really being serious and was messing around.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #15943 on: March 31, 2010, 07:44:05 pm »

a tester wouldn't throw out a prediction about release. and that was the third seal broken, of course the lamb already opened the second seal.

I wasn't really being serious and was messing around.

Isn't that how it always goes with seals?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15944 on: March 31, 2010, 07:46:43 pm »

On the topic of Organic landscapes mabye it could be possable to live inside a megabeast that would act as a sphere, like a magical beached whale 
Thank you based dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 1061 1062 [1063] 1064 1065