Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3529544 times)

Jakkarra

Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1350 on: March 29, 2009, 07:41:52 am »

fouth...ded.

This is still the "future of the fortress" thread, right?

Im all for a little silly forum banter, but how far off topic do we need to go?

Love, jakkarra

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: March 29, 2009, 08:11:34 am »

Back on the topic of the topic then, does Toady working on the 40d* versions now mean that updates will be posted on the relevant thread or will Toady still update the dev log and answer our questions here?
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: March 29, 2009, 08:18:48 am »

Back on the topic of the topic then, does Toady working on the 40d* versions now mean that updates will be posted on the relevant thread or will Toady still update the dev log and answer our questions here?

Both.  If more 40d* versions come out, they'll be posted in that thread and the dev log.  Toady was only taking a couple days to work on 40d* stuff anyway. Now he's doing the month-end project (which is totally unrelated to any of this), and on the 1st he'll be back to main DF development (not 40d*).

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: March 30, 2009, 12:23:33 pm »

Does anyone know if Toady is planning on addressing the machine-gun (cross)bow-goblins in this release?
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: March 30, 2009, 01:29:38 pm »

Does anyone know if Toady is planning on addressing the machine-gun (cross)bow-goblins in this release?

There was some restructuring of how combat skills are used and trained, so it'll probably be a little different.  I don't think Toady mentioned aiming to fix it though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: March 30, 2009, 06:11:49 pm »

The Fix is likely to happen during the Combat arc, which is pretty far away even though Toady is no longer strictly following the Arc path.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: March 31, 2009, 10:35:28 am »

Toady, I know this is a known problem, but if you ever get bored working on the current dev list (heaven forbid!), could you maybe take a look at the FPS display issue in the Mac version (the one where the FPS is always FPS:0, no matter what the settings are)?  Pretty please?
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

tomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: March 31, 2009, 03:30:17 pm »

Toady, I know this is a known problem, but if you ever get bored working on the current dev list (heaven forbid!), could you maybe take a look at the FPS display issue in the Mac version (the one where the FPS is always FPS:0, no matter what the settings are)?  Pretty please?
(i'm not familiar with the issue)
but have you tried 40d and all 40d* versions?

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: March 31, 2009, 04:05:31 pm »

(i'm not familiar with the issue)
but have you tried 40d and all 40d* versions?

Yeah, for me the 40d9 (haven't tried 10 or 11) work great, and show the FPS. The link to them is stickied in this very boutique!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: March 31, 2009, 04:31:32 pm »

Hey I was wondering if anyone (besides Toady) could answer this:

With the new variable tissue healing rates, is the act of healing itself going to exist on a different timescale from immediate actions, or will it be constantly occurring? For instance, if two dwarfs are brawling, and one scratches their elbow, does the elbow immediately start healing then and there? Or does it wait until after the combat is over?

If it starts right away, then critters might have extreme rates of healing, either extremely fast (so that it happens even as you wound the critter) or extremely slow.
Not quite "regeneration", but something beyond the norm, as a stand-in for true regeneration. 

Also, from my understanding, there are secondary injuries planned (a broken rib might pierce a lung), do those include such a thing as inflammation? scabbing? the clotting of blood? I'm guessing infection is already somewhere in the works, and I think I read in-depth bruising is planned, but not for this version. Scarification I already know is out for now.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:35:38 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: March 31, 2009, 04:34:07 pm »

Also:

WIll there be asexual reproduction? You see, I am trying to mod in a male civ. However, as you can tell, they dont breed, because they are male.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: March 31, 2009, 04:37:09 pm »

Hey I was wondering if anyone (besides Toady) could answer this:

With the new variable tissue healing rates, is the act of healing itself going to exist on a different timescale from immediate actions, or will it be constantly occurring? For instance, if two dwarfs are brawling, and one scratches their elbow, does the elbow immediately start healing then and there? Or does it wait until after the combat is over?

Also, from my understanding, there are secondary injuries planned (a broken rib might pierce a lung), do those include such a thing as inflammation? scabbing? the clotting of blood? I'm guessing infection is already somewhere in the works.

This would give awesome battles between (nearly) immortals. Cutting eachother's sinews so the y both can't move. They angrily glare at eachother for decades until the grow back and resume the fight. Or heck, maybe that time gave them time to think about how useless fighting is. Then they have crumpets and tea.

Also, will the facial and other features of creatures be machine readable, as map features are now?
I can't wait for a utility that generates an image of the dwarf you have in your Fortress.
Then we can happily scream in disgust at the testdwarf with the sunken eyes and the many teeth.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: March 31, 2009, 04:52:52 pm »

Well, I suspect (my opinion, anyway) that things like tendons, organ removal/destruction, and like amputations, etc. would probably be something that fell under "true regeneration", rather than just extreme fast-healing. So cuts and bruises might vanish before your eyes, but remove the head, cut off the limbs, hamstring, etc. and you'll win.

Still nasty though, especially in a powerful enemy with high Damblock.
For they would be your masters.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: March 31, 2009, 05:12:17 pm »

Then we can happily scream in disgust at the testdwarf with the sunken eyes and the many teeth.
Don't!
It is not it's fault, it was created (and thus cursed!) by a cruel and twisted god.

Now go and offer tribute at the altar of the toady One and feel blessed when ye recieve your reward from the three toed brother.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1364 on: April 01, 2009, 06:19:24 am »

Quote from: Footkerchief
Apologies for delving even further off topic, but: would the notion of knowledge be tied in with events?  That seems like an even more compelling use of a knowledge system, with huge implications for military stuff, diplomacy, trade, and lots of small flavorful possibilities like meaningful conversation (link to old Suggestions thread), quests to acquire/convey information, etc.  Misinformation is an amazingly cool facet, but tracking it only as a property of a real fact wouldn't be enough to allow some of the more amusing types of misinformation like creative slander -- I'm envisioning something here like an adventurer spreading rumors in a town about the mayor's predilection for insert deviancy here, maybe with a Madlibs-ish interface for constructing a "fake event."

On the other hand, given the sheer potential number of events (compared to a small, fixed set of technologies), it seems likely that storing the knowledge of those events could get expensive even if it's done at the civ level.

Yeah, this gets to be one of those complicated nightmares, but I wanted to do some stuff with that.  There are a few things from the armok notes waiting to be power-goaled having to do with false legends and false maps, and at least some element of that should make it in.  It won't be able to track potential misinformation about every event, but if it just keeps track of really important lies and player lies (both heard and spoken), that should be enough.

Quote from: Ampersand
I'm wondering. If we created a race that somehow considered it's skin layer 'cosmetic' and would periodically skin itself, would another race that was subjugated by this one then begin skinning themselves with hilarious effect?

You'd need to explicitly include a tissue style unit for it to link up with the entity style definition, and that would be cruel to say the least.

Quote from: Greiger
Made me think, will it be possible to make a creature immune to certain diseses? 

For the poison effects that are currently in, you add in affected classes and then immune classes, and when other diseases go in I don't think it'll be handled differently, unless poisons have become more refined by that time.

Quote from: RavingManiac
Are the splints fastened with thread? Also, are splints a new type of object or improvised wooden logs?

I was considering what material other than the main base material might be used, but in the end I decided not to add one since that would be a bit picky compared to other items and splints might be very necessary.  Then I saw a badass ancient splint that just used flexed rods of the base material to keep things in place and it looked very dwarfy and I felt fine about it.

Quote from: Greiger
Dragons are definatly not immune to heat, their own firebreath seems to become their downfall.  Is this intended or is that going to be handled in the next version?

I hope so, but I guess I won't guarantee anything.

Quote from: Org

1: Will milking be updated? To where we can milk cows?

2: In the description paragraph, will there be the dwarves' ages?

3: Will dwarves eventually be able to ride mounts?

4: Will war dogs be able to be put on a patrol route?

5: Will there be an update to hunting?

1 Nope.
2 Probably, one way or another.  There's a note to that effect in what I have left to do.  Right now you can just see the amount of gray in their hair.
3 Eventually, probably, though it's almost as odd to me as them using poison.
4 By itself?  Probably not.
5 Beyond what Footkerchief mentioned, probably not, though it's not completely clear how the squad changes will impact hunting outside of equipment.

Quote from: Dasleah
Toady, have there been any further significant changes to the raw tags outside your preview? I understand that you'd not want to reveal too much about the poisons and whatnot, but are the way creatures constructed and tissues defined and used pretty much the same? I'd like to start converting a few mods over to the new version in preparation for the new version, so I'd just like to know how much last-minute tweaking I'd have to end up doing in order to get them working fast.

It's all very similar.  I might have changed the orders around in the body plans for adding tissues, but I think it's all pretty easy to fix.  In any case, I can refresh the posted data this weekish, I guess.

Quote from: Dame de la Licorne

I don't think that'll change until I get down to doing all of the combat stuff, in particular splitting speed up in many ways.

Quote from: SirHoneyBadger

If it starts right away, then critters might have extreme rates of healing, either extremely fast (so that it happens even as you wound the critter) or extremely slow.
Not quite "regeneration", but something beyond the norm, as a stand-in for true regeneration.

Also, from my understanding, there are secondary injuries planned (a broken rib might pierce a lung), do those include such a thing as inflammation? scabbing? the clotting of blood? I'm guessing infection is already somewhere in the works, and I think I read in-depth bruising is planned, but not for this version. Scarification I already know is out for now.

It starts right away.  You can make the rates pretty fast, almost like regeneration.  I remember writing about this, and I did the calculations there, but maybe it was just an email...  in any case, you could get away with healing heavy damage fully after an hour?  Or was it faster.  I think it was pretty fast, and that it wouldn't be very hard to make it faster or instantaneous as needed with a little change.

I think infection got purpled out in the list (hidden under venom)...  there's bruising, but I'm not sure what in-depth means.  Scars are in.  Scabs aren't in at this time.  Swelling only works with poison for now, though it's easily extendable since the swelling is a property of the wound.

Quote from: Org
WIll there be asexual reproduction?

The closest I'm going to get to that is the upcoming ant stuff, and I'm not sure how far that will go toward a general system.  Probably not very far this time around, since I'd have to make it all work out in world gen too and the calculations can get annoying if they go too far from the current model.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 1065