Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3527325 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2325 on: June 03, 2009, 09:27:51 pm »

This is indeed an awesome update. It'll make champions actually worth of their name, since, y'know, having 70 champions kinda dull's the title's value off.

Maybe in the future army arc the champion could lead armies along with the baron, or even become a true commander him/herself.

General Urist Pointynudge The Pillar of Woe has been happy lately, he raided an elven settlement lately.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: June 03, 2009, 09:29:41 pm »

Despite how long it's taking, this next release should prove to be a phenomenal one.  Long walks up mountains being taken one step at a time and all that.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: June 03, 2009, 10:19:23 pm »

Since the recent activity in this thread has been griping about how long this dev cycle has been, let me throw my straw on the camel's back that is Toady One's sanity.

Personally, I generally think that everything is awesome.  Unfortunately, I then look at the game as it currently is and feel sad that I can't have any of the ultra-awesomeness that is coming in the future.  I know it is there!  Toady said so.  But it isn't for me yet.   :'(  So I am looking at the 6 month wait I expect until the next version with sorrow.  If it comes sooner I will be incredibly happy.

Either way, Toady rocks the world.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Someguyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: June 03, 2009, 11:30:34 pm »

• Possibility for unending attacks

Oh snap. I would love to see a fortress fend off an unending attack for a couple of years.

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: June 04, 2009, 01:05:27 am »

I read this update, and the last few pages in this post, and I got a plot-bunny (cave-kitty?), about 'engraving' my champion dwarf.  And imagining that he'd lost part of his skull, so the engraver was engraving his brain.  A just-drafted peasantdwarf engraver.  Muhahahahaha.
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: June 04, 2009, 01:41:25 am »

I personally can't wait for the Magic Arc to be added if the spells in this are anything like Armok it'll be great fun.
The simple delights of teleporting someones heart out of their body and then beating them to death with it.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: June 04, 2009, 03:05:31 am »

It makes me sad whenever the "cosmetic" features are disparaged as "useless".

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: June 04, 2009, 03:55:50 am »

I personally don't think cosmetic features are exactly useless but they should at least be left until last, as they are the features that have the least effect on the game as a whole.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: June 04, 2009, 04:05:53 am »

Even if they only take one day to add?

Phen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: June 04, 2009, 05:56:28 am »

I like cosmetic features a great deal - I think it adds more flavour.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: June 04, 2009, 06:11:12 am »

Now simply multiply this by the number of cosmetic features and that's a hell of a lot of time spent adding things which only have a very limited impact on the game.
I'm not saying they shouldn't be added at all... Just not yet!

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: June 04, 2009, 06:19:36 am »

OMG OMG, He has started on SQUADS.. im so excited!

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: June 04, 2009, 07:05:53 am »

The thing about the squad update is that I personally don't like traps - I just don't like using them.  So I like to have my fortress entrance guarded by speardwarves in heavy armour, like so...
Code: [Select]
║╔═╗ ╔═╗║
╠╝X╚═╝X╚╣
┼.......┼
┼.......┼
╠╗X╔═╗X╔╣
║╚═╝ ╚═╝║
║       ║
║╔═╗ ╔═╗║
╠╝X╚═╝X╚╣
┼.......┼
┼.......┼
╠╗X╔═╗X╔╣
║╚═╝ ╚═╝║
In the current version, I have to create 8 squads for the above setup, and if I want to rotate them I need 16 squads and every few seasons I have to spend about 5 minutes in the military screen.  And if a guard is killed, it takes ages working out where they were stationed and what there rota was.

From what I'm reading of the new version, a single "Gate Guards" squad will just need to be given the 8 locations once, and then 20 or so dwarves assigned to it would automatically rotate themselves on or off duty/training.  That's just so many layers of awesome.  Toady, will squads be completely seperate from their members, e.g. will my "Gate Guards" squad still exist even if it is completely wiped out?
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: June 04, 2009, 07:53:30 am »

Now simply multiply this by the number of cosmetic features and that's a hell of a lot of time spent adding things which only have a very limited impact on the game.
I'm not saying they shouldn't be added at all... Just not yet!

Like what?

All I can really think of is color patterns on creatures.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2339 on: June 04, 2009, 08:03:10 am »

Will the sleeping-barracks and sparring-barracks be separated with the squad update?
(Also, would it be nicer for Toady if we highlighted the exact questions we want to ask?)

Yeah, that's right.  You can also have them store their equipment in a separate area, which came up somewhere though I'm not sure how often it'll be used.  How they handle training vs. regular weapons and if they can swap out the weapons on training racks and regular racks and so on is still sort of up in the air.

I read all of the posts here, but I don't answer them all immediately, so bolding questions would be helpful -- I'd still have to check through the rest of the posts to make sure I didn't miss anything, but at least I would know that a post with a bolded question doesn't have other questions that weren't bolded (or I'd assume that to be the case, anyway).

Q: Is there something planned on making it possible for each soldier to carry more then a single weapon (with limitations of course), as in, giving a dwarf a crossbow for long range combat and switch to a short sword in close combat?

It's certainly reasonable, though I don't have anything like that planned for this release.  I'll have to think of how difficult it might be.

Toady, will squads be completely seperate from their members, e.g. will my "Gate Guards" squad still exist even if it is completely wiped out?

Yeah, you should only need to define that gate squad once during your game, though on a reclaim you'd probably have to define it again (I can probably keep station points and patrol routes between games, which would be part of it).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 1065