Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3528525 times)

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3450 on: August 04, 2009, 05:22:36 am »

Toady: Will the player be able to designate their own dwarves as targets?
Also, have you considered allowing the player to possibly be able to order the dwarves to only damage a target to a certain point, as in, to rough them up a little, but not kill them?

The main point of the other part is that I might not necessarily have to kill beardless dwarves, but simply damage them to a point where they will never be able to breed, but still be able to haul stone. Which, in some ways, is rather brutal, but in others, is quite efficient.

Toady said, somewhere, that your own dwarves will not be valid targets for kill orders.  Whether or not you can "just rough somebody up" I do not know.
That would be quite useful for getting rid of a catsplosion the easy way, neuter the cats so they cant breed, or since gentalia wont be in a release any time soon (read: ever) just having the somewhat useless fortress guard splatter them would save a lot of time and frames.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: August 04, 2009, 06:15:38 am »

How much will this release boost the version number, I wonder?

I'd also be interested whether there are ordered arcs to proceed to after the army, caravan, and diplomacy arc are done. Presentation?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 06:18:00 am by Patarak »

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: August 04, 2009, 07:01:41 am »

Damn, this is moving fast. Also folks, remember to reallocate your votes on the Eternal Suggestion Voting poll, as some have been implemented already and you might want to vote for something else.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: August 04, 2009, 07:21:26 am »

I can already see a release next month.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: August 04, 2009, 07:24:33 am »

The concept of gods being powered by worship shows up a lot in fantasy literature, but not at all in myth or legend (as far as I know).

Well, it's probably just a reversal of reality: The most powerful/prolific gods are worshiped the most, which would probably be the case in DF anyway in regards to megabeasts, the ones showing up the most get worshiped the most.

That's not a reversal at all. IRL, gods have no power whatever outside of their worshipers. Seeing as this is a fantasy game, one might expect to see gods who actually had powers. The idea is to maintain the same basic dynamic while making things more interesting.

Another appealing aspect of the worship-powered god model is that it explains why gods care if they are worshiped. Otherwise that's a little puzzling. Here you are some omnipotent being, why would you care what some puny human (or dwarf) thinks?

That said, this works best as a behind the scenes mechanic IMHO. Inhabitants of the world would most likely not understand that gods need their faith/worship for power.

It would be sensible when creatures choose their gods based on what they desire or fear: wealth, strength, bad luck for their enemies/competitors, peace, sunny weather, rain, etc. You would then get dynamics like the following: in general dwarves want wealth, worshipping the god of wealth. That god gains power and makes the dwarves wealthy. When they are wealthy, they wish to have the most wealth, so they start worshipping the god of envy and strife, to take down their competitors down a peg. That god then does his thing and of as a result conflict breaks out everywhere. So they start worshipping the god of peace, who dampens conflict, etc. It will keep itself going.

Otherwise, when dwarves worship powerful gods, and worship makes gods powerful, we'll be stuck with a monotheistic world very quickly.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: August 04, 2009, 07:28:35 am »

Yea it's moving fast.

Also, "Handle skill rusting", so I guess there will be a slow decay of certain skills over time?

As for the annoying cat bug, are you talking about the cat mouth bug? There is already a fix (more of a hack though I guess), so shouldn't that one technically be green?

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: August 04, 2009, 07:45:50 am »

Well, the bug doesn't seem to be occurring in the development versions - at least not in 40d13.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: August 04, 2009, 07:48:52 am »

No, it shouldn't be green, because the "fix" is just a workaround done by the player that technically results in cat mouths being able to be used as well as hands.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Reyyvo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: August 04, 2009, 08:06:46 am »

Please excuse the fact that this doesnt further the discussion but...
OMG the release is almost happening!
TOADY WE LOVE YOU!!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: August 04, 2009, 08:30:02 am »

yay metabolism, tissue thickness depending on physical stats, etc. I love this kind of detail! (more so than having n-types of wood)

Q Toady1:
You say some dwarves will store more energy as fat than others depending on their metabolism,
-Will the metabolism have a variable portion, that can be altered depending on activeness/sedentiarism, age(immature bodytypes are different, than mature ones, so I assume: yes) etc.
-Will there be a personality trait that makes some dwarves eat more than others? (in relation to their energy requirements)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: August 04, 2009, 09:18:44 am »

At some point soon the interaction between dwarvish diet, exercise, climate, and survivability is going to create some incredible emergent behavior.  Dwarfs in warm climates will be able to survive on booze, grains, mushrooms, and fresh fruits... but a dwarf in a cold or freezing biome is going to need to eat very fatty meats to stay alive, especially if he's outside a lot.

I'd love to see convective and conductive heat transfer (!) taken into account, even if you just calculate the steady-state temperature for each Z-level of each embark tile with a wind penalty for being outside.  That way, dwarves living more than five or six Z-levels down (or in an embark tile with a magma source) would be warm most of the time, but dwarves on guard duty on a tile with the "outside" flag would be exposed to wind and surface temperatures.  That way your craftsdwarves would end up eating a mostly-vegetarian diet because they would tend to be pampered and kept warm; meanwhile your warrior caste and woodcutters would eat lots of fatty meats to stay warm, and would end up becoming almost all muscle.  The smiths and smelters would probably eat leaner meats and lots of fruit to stay hydrated, but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

...at which point you need to start asking yourself which kind of physique a female dwarf is going to select for her mate!

In any case, it's clear that eventually all of the vegetables will need separate ratings for crispness and freshness, and the meats are going to need calories from protein and calories from fat. 
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: August 04, 2009, 09:35:01 am »

It would be sensible when creatures choose their gods based on what they desire or fear: wealth, strength, bad luck for their enemies/competitors, peace, sunny weather, rain, etc. You would then get dynamics like the following: in general dwarves want wealth, worshipping the god of wealth. That god gains power and makes the dwarves wealthy. When they are wealthy, they wish to have the most wealth, so they start worshipping the god of envy and strife, to take down their competitors down a peg. That god then does his thing and of as a result conflict breaks out everywhere. So they start worshipping the god of peace, who dampens conflict, etc. It will keep itself going.

Otherwise, when dwarves worship powerful gods, and worship makes gods powerful, we'll be stuck with a monotheistic world very quickly.

Have you posted that in one of the religion threads?  That's a good way of looking at it.  Genius

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: August 04, 2009, 10:16:06 am »

Oh, if only food would be made into RAWS...
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: August 04, 2009, 10:43:20 am »

Oh, if only food would be made into RAWS...

What, like the kitchen uncooking stuff?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: August 04, 2009, 11:10:08 am »

Speaking of this metabolism stuff, dwarves already seem to drink more often in hot climates than in cooler ones, whether the climate is a dry or a wet one seems to also play a role
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 1065