Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3529490 times)

Jeremy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3615 on: August 09, 2009, 08:04:05 am »

I don't know if this is final, but the female dwarves don't seem to have beards! Hopefully we will be able to fix that in the raws.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: August 09, 2009, 08:27:13 am »

It's already in, you just have to add the brackets for it to work.

Meanwhile, anyone else note the decrease in the number of items a dwarf likes? Easier to tailor their artifacts.

Also, I noticed a new material. Horse hoof. Looks like we're getting new kinds of refuse.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: August 09, 2009, 08:37:55 am »

Is it just me or do (almost?) all of those described dwarves sound kinda ugly?'
Someone should make portraits of some of these devlog dwarves by the way, I might have done so myself but I suck at faces.

I wonder how long it until someone makes an utility that renders how a dwarf looks after this release.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: August 09, 2009, 09:00:04 am »

Yeah, they are kind of ugly.

Will it be possible to give our dwarves make-overs?

That's likely too much control, but will dwarves change their hair style from time to time at least?

What about description updates in general? There are a few things I'd expect to see change (strength, fatness, etc) but what about aging? Balding, wrinkles, gray hair? All those fabulous things..

Or how about a graphic description of that eye, nose, eye that just got removed from your face?

Along a similar line (in that these all are based around dynamic descriptions),

Will dwarf's likes and dislikes be able to change over time? Humans, at least, tend to want what they can't have..  so maybe Urist McBoring's love of microline will be satiated once he has filled ever square inch of his bedroom with microline earrings. Maybe then he'll want orthoclase mugs or something..

..next version just keeps getting better and better for me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: August 09, 2009, 09:19:30 am »

Now Hairdressers will replace Fish Dissectors as the universally hated immigrants...

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: August 09, 2009, 09:22:12 am »

Huh, sorry to be a party breaker but... I don't find it really useful. The physical description paragraph, I mean (the "healing very fast" etc. sure are useful). Seriously, who is gonna read (and remember !) all the description paragraph of every dwarf ? When you have 120 dwarves, you can't already remember their name, letting alone the shape or size of their beard... it's a lot of details, sure, but useless details, with no influence on the gameplay whatsoever, and since there's still no graphic counterpart, no visibility.
In the end that'll just clutter the description screen.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #3621 on: August 09, 2009, 09:24:48 am »

Maybe Dwarves should have descriptions only for parts of them that don't fit the norm? And maybe make it less random, they seem like humans.
EDIT: The description window should probably filter the unneeded stuff into another window. Maybe have the main description only write out the stuff that's rare in your populace, and a "portrait" window with really detailed description.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 09:28:21 am by Fishersalwaysdie »
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: August 09, 2009, 09:26:44 am »

Huh, sorry to be a party breaker but... I don't find it really useful. The physical description paragraph, I mean (the "healing very fast" etc. sure are useful). Seriously, who is gonna read (and remember !) all the description paragraph of every dwarf ? When you have 120 dwarves, you can't already remember their name, letting alone the shape or size of their beard... it's a lot of details, sure, but useless details, with no influence on the gameplay whatsoever, and since there's still no graphic counterpart, no visibility.
In the end that'll just clutter the description screen.

This would be true if all the dwarves appeared at once, but luckily we get migrants  ;D
I tend to reassign at least 90% of my immigrants.
This allows me to have a creative craftsdwarf, fast healing military, long bearded masons, and braided woodcutters.

EDIT:
Why do they all like olivine and olivine?
How can you be frail AND rugged? (number3)
Both neatly combed and cyrly, crinkly hair (number4)
(Number5, 11, 14 and 15) actually like Olivine, olivine and olivine.
(Number9) is blatantly a brewer.
(Number12) likes "."
How can you have a tall, thin body layered with fat? (number14)

All in all this is wicked, there's just a few things that need ironing out.

Q for Toady: If we get to see transcriptions of battles/meetings, will we get to see these working?  Like Urist starts biting his nails when he gets bored etc etc.  It would be cool to see the meeting regress to a nail biting, finger clicking, tongue clucking mess.

EDIT2:  I'm sooo gonna kill the tall ears.  Suspiciously elfy to my mind.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:00:52 am by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: August 09, 2009, 09:29:25 am »

I wonder how long it until someone makes an utility that renders how a dwarf looks after this release.

Three months ago

I guess it doesn't count yet since it doesn't render the dwarves from the game, but it will get there eventually I am sure. That is if it hasn't been abandoned.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: August 09, 2009, 09:34:30 am »

Yep, "creative", "fast healing", "susceptible to disease" etc. are useful informations... but sorry, "round convex nose" or "very high cheekbones" are not.
Hm, maybe create an ASCII "picture" of the dwarf, based on the description ? It will help to visualize what the dwarf really look like, because right now, no one (except hardcore roleplayers) will remember the size of each dwarf's moustache or the space between their teeth.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: August 09, 2009, 09:36:26 am »

You could build up a picture of your Adventure mode dude, since you only get one, in addition to your team mates, as you only get a few.

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: August 09, 2009, 09:37:22 am »

Three months ago

I guess it doesn't count yet since it doesn't render the dwarves from the game, but it will get there eventually I am sure. That is if it hasn't been abandoned.

Not abandoned but I've had (way too) long hiatus because of other projects, nice sunny weather, awfully many great game sales by Steam and mostly because I've waited for more information about new features before making design decisions. I guess it's time to get this one going again.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: August 09, 2009, 09:45:40 am »

Three months ago

I know of that one, I even posted in the thread, I meant one that rendered all these new things.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: August 09, 2009, 09:54:05 am »

*hugs the ugly dwarves with delight*

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: August 09, 2009, 10:12:48 am »

Yep, "creative", "fast healing", "susceptible to disease" etc. are useful informations... but sorry, "round convex nose" or "very high cheekbones" are not.

Remember, you've got adventure mode to think about too - When the human mayor sends you off to kill a bandit and all anyone knows is that the bandit is a dwarf with a shaved head, low cheekbones, a round convex nose, a red braided beard, and one eye - this becomes vital.
Not that anything like this will be in the next release, but now the groundwork is in. From a coding standpoint it may have just been easier to do it now instead of later.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 1065