Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3529518 times)

Gauphastus

• Bay Watcher
  • y hello der
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3630 on: August 09, 2009, 10:26:47 am »

I don't know about them being ugly, but man, are they old.
I mean all of them.

Some of them also seem to like olivine twice. Or even three times.

But I suppose olivine is pretty fab.

EDIT: Oh, right.
Yeah, I think this stuff is great. I'd draw portraits of all of them but I'm lazy and lack confidence.
Mostly lazy though.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:30:58 am by Gauphastus »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: August 09, 2009, 10:33:31 am »

For starters I would like to say the new description pages you've been working on for the dwarves Toady look totally awesome...

However I do have one small, tiny, insignificant issue with the changes (I'm sure it'll be just me and feel free to totally ignore this). I'm not sure if it's just a trick of the eye but it seems from the previews that you have reduced the amount of things each dwarf likes. PLEASE leave (or pretty, pretty, pretty please allow an option in the RAWS) the amount of individual crap a dwarf can enjoy/love/prefer! I know it's just mindlessly small details but I think that this is such an epic feature I will miss it forever if it is cut back on or so...  :'(

PS - The new version of Dwarf Fortress is looking LEGENDARY. Much thanks from the entire community! Please keep up the good work. You are a modern day hero  :). Champion of my free time since (2007?).
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: August 09, 2009, 10:36:21 am »

*hugs the ugly dwarves with delight*
Curses, why didn't I think of this first?

For starters I would like to say the new description pages you've been working on for the dwarves Toady look totally awesome...

However I do have one small, tiny, insignificant issue with the changes (I'm sure it'll be just me and feel free to totally ignore this). I'm not sure if it's just a trick of the eye but it seems from the previews that you have reduced the amount of things each dwarf likes. PLEASE leave (or pretty, pretty, pretty please allow an option in the RAWS) the amount of individual crap a dwarf can enjoy/love/prefer! I know it's just mindlessly small details but I think that this is such an epic feature I will miss it forever if it is cut back on or so...  :'(

PS - The new version of Dwarf Fortress is looking LEGENDARY. Much thanks from the entire community! Please keep up the good work. You are a modern day hero  :) . Champion of my free time since (2007?).
Seconded.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: August 09, 2009, 10:52:25 am »

I think this is a quick worldgen because all of them were born in the last half of the first 100 years, so the worldgen probably stopped before 200.

They may be sort of ugly, but they are also old.

I kind of like number 12 (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/imgs/embark_desc12.png), she is the oldest of the bunch and sounds like a wise woman of sorts. Heck, her description could very well fit a tribal elder. The slow to tire part is contradictory to the very frail part. Almost sounds like she would be in a wheelchair or carried on a divan or something. I would make her a leader, even though she probably has problems walking.

I would really like to see descriptions of younger dwarves because all we are looking at is old people.

Oh yea, I noticed that most of them like horses, probably just the way the roll went. The thing with the olivine seems like a bug.

Also horse hooves= glue. So maybe it is a new material.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:54:01 am by smjjames »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: August 09, 2009, 10:54:47 am »

1:  Is there Bell Curve for these traits?  Do they bunch up near the center?  (or off center for races)

2:  Is there a mechanism for correlation between some traits?   It almost seems like some of the exhibited traits should all be tied back to a single underlying traits.  Nervousness and Bravery for instance, or braided beards and braided mustaches.  (not that alternatives wouldn't be possible, just less likely.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: August 09, 2009, 10:56:03 am »

I like number 4:  http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/imgs/embark_desc4.png

He sounds like some sort of comedy character. Incredibly weak but he never tires!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: August 09, 2009, 10:58:54 am »

@Granite: Maybe..... As i said, #12 sounds like a wise elder.

For some reason, the description reminds me of Mother Moiham from the Dune books.

Alan Bolte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: August 09, 2009, 10:59:54 am »

Those weak, tireless ones may not be able to do much lifting, but they can talk your ear off all day.
Yeah ma'am see the problem you have is you've got roof wolves. They're pretty common round here sometimes. The only thing I can do in this case is put a puma statue up there and hope it scares them off.
Whats that ma'am? You want me to shoot them?

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: August 09, 2009, 11:10:50 am »

Well... do remember that dwarves have a lifespan of 150-170 years. A 75 years old dwarf is the rough equivalent of a 40 years old human, so they aren't that old. But yes, they all have approximately the same age.

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: August 09, 2009, 12:16:33 pm »

I'm somewhat embarrassed to mention this, but I feel that it may be somewhat necessary to somewhat remove some of the somewhats, as they somewhat clutter up the appearance paragraph in a way that is somewhat annoying to those of us who somewhat dislike seeing the same word somewhat frequently.
I can somewhat see the purpose of all the qualifiers, but diversifying somewhat may help to breakup the repetition somewhat.

Somewhat sorry for making this somewhat sarcastic post. 

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: August 09, 2009, 01:39:27 pm »

Alright, I tried my hand at making a portrait of Dwarf #1; It's just a sketch I colored, nothing too fancy.
Unib Erushbisek:

Just realized I forgot to color his ears - whoops. I wasn't sure what color to make his hair, so I just opted for gray.
I also sketched out some of the others in pencil - I might upload them later to the more appropriate Fan art thread.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: August 09, 2009, 01:47:26 pm »

I'm somewhat embarrassed to mention this, but I feel that it may be somewhat necessary to somewhat remove some of the somewhats, as they somewhat clutter up the appearance paragraph in a way that is somewhat annoying to those of us who somewhat dislike seeing the same word somewhat frequently.
I can somewhat see the purpose of all the qualifiers, but diversifying somewhat may help to breakup the repetition somewhat.

Somewhat sorry for making this somewhat sarcastic post. 
I fond that post somewhat awesome and funny! ^_^

Alright, I tried my hand at making a portrait of Dwarf #1; It's just a sketch I colored, nothing too fancy.
Unib Erushbisek:

Just realized I forgot to color his ears - whoops. I wasn't sure what color to make his hair, so I just opted for gray.
I also sketched out some of the others in pencil - I might upload them later to the more appropriate Fan art thread.

Wow, really nice image! :D
Several of the features are hard to see in that lightning and angle thou, but it's no real problem, just something to think about in the future.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: August 09, 2009, 01:53:32 pm »

Thanks! But yeah, I really weasn't sure what to do about the "upturned nose" and the ears - If I make a habit of drawing these I might do some sort of half profile or something to show all of the features.
I'll probably spend some more time on them too, so they won't look so rushed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 02:10:21 pm by jarathor »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: August 09, 2009, 02:07:03 pm »

am I the only one who noticed that every dwarf in the examples like olivine a bit too much ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: August 09, 2009, 02:11:07 pm »

Great.  Now where are their thoughts going to fit?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 1065