Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3524762 times)

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3735 on: August 11, 2009, 02:07:02 pm »

And pools of oil on every surface. Even the walls.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: August 11, 2009, 03:34:04 pm »

Hm...

Can the descriptions be modded? That is, be able to change which body parts can vary and how. Especially for creatures with different anatomies, so you can describe someone's short, rounded mandibles and gnarly antlers.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: August 11, 2009, 05:39:46 pm »

Hm...

Can the descriptions be modded? That is, be able to change which body parts can vary and how. Especially for creatures with different anatomies, so you can describe someone's short, rounded mandibles and gnarly antlers.

Kriszikikrikszik is an antwoman from the Beevy Hive.
Her antenaes tend to go down when she is sad. She has the habit of cleaning here mandibles whenever she goes outside.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: August 11, 2009, 05:43:18 pm »

Hm...

No, that's not in yet. I remember it being mentioned back in the devlog quite some time back. All that stuff is hardcoded at the moment

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: August 11, 2009, 05:51:05 pm »

It doesn't matter how obscure or detailed a request is.  If it's not in the current build, it's not in yet.

I love dwarf fortress.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: August 11, 2009, 06:00:15 pm »

I have the question everyone has been waiting for...

What color will the healthcare profession dwarves/etc be?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: August 11, 2009, 06:08:09 pm »

You have to bold it.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: August 11, 2009, 06:10:18 pm »

I can't believe nobody asked that yet, heh. Maybe an alternating blue and red? That could get annoying, plus that flashing thing is normally associated with legendary status. I think red or blue would be appropriate.

Edit: Maybe orange? Pratically every color of the rainbow is used up, other than using various shades and mixtures of colors.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 06:24:33 pm by smjjames »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3743 on: August 11, 2009, 06:23:23 pm »

Quote from: G-Flex
I understood the "thin body layered with fat" comment, but I feel like "frame" would be a better word than "body" in cases like that, just to make it more clear.

I use frame in a lot of the similar situations, but I didn't want to use it all the time.  I don't know if there's a third word that works.

Quote from: Leafsnail
Actually, that's assuming that being fat will have a bad effect on your fitness.  Will it?  And will it possibly make dwarves want to eat more in future?

It makes them move slower right now.  There are health problems right now, and most actions (like walking) don't make the dwarves tired to begin with, so it couldn't make them more tired.  The exertion system should probably be slowly extended to more actions.

Quote from: wilsonns
will be implemented some "cosmetic workshops" like barber shops, and related skills or something like this?

There's nothing like that now, but it's a reasonable suggestion.

Quote from: wilsonns
and what exactly is the "squad control mode"?

It's like the current 'x' mode or whatever it is.  You can select squads and give them orders that override their scheduled orders.

Quote from: Deon
16th dwarf has TWO chins. One is flat and square, 2nd is very round

It doesn't know how to handle >=4 adjectives on a single part yet (it being the skull in this case, not just the chin).  You get it a lot with hair too.  It needs to be able to do multiple sentences or compound sentences when it has to report more than three things, eventually.

hair color not being displayed

I think the problem here is that when they have shaved heads, it doesn't display their hair color, even if they have beards.  I'll have to teach it more.  When they have head-hair, it always displays the hair color.  You can see this with the skin/eye color as well, which is always displayed.  It doesn't know how to evaluate the importance of it though, so it is tacked on the end if it couldn't find a way to work it in earlier.

In general, since some people missed it before, it already orders descriptions by their deviation from the norm in the creature raw file.  I think it would be too confusing to order them by deviation from the fortress's norm, since you'd have to also say what that norm is some place, whereas with a dwarf in general, you have a reasonable idea coming in what you think that is.

Quote from: G-Flex
Aside from the lack of hair color, I'm also having a bit of a hard time judging the shape of these dwarves' faces. We tend to think of people as having a certain sort of jaw structure: Someone might have a long face, or a round one, etc. I saw cheekbones and chins mentioned, so maybe what I'm thinking of is sort of an amalgamation of those, but I'm not sure.

Right now there are sort of odd phrases for the head that I think get at what you are talking about.  I think it calls the head tall and short, when it should probably be more like long and squat or something.  It also does the overall width of the head, I think.

Quote from: ManaUser
I would prefer that the "His X A is Y" format be dropped in favor of the simpler "His A is X and Y". I find it scans better, and it's also more flexible. For instance you could then merge "His nose is somewhat upturned and somewhat broad" to "His nose is somewhat upturned and broad" without changing the sentence structure.

I don't know.  I think it's good to use different formats.  I think it would be better to add more of them, really, to make the entire paragraph read better.  If we want scanning we should just have a list instead, which is something I'm not sure about overall, since I don't want the game to become too much like a spreadsheet.

Quote from: finesse
Are you still looking at a ladder/thing that can be built from above for this release? So long as animals can't climb them we can dump them in an animal pit only once, and butcher as they prosper. As it stands, even pet impassible doors are a big nono since they continually try to path past them and slow the FPS down to a crawl.
Quote from: Greiger
Probably not there yet, but is there any plans to make the rope/ladder system that allows dwarves to climb into a lower area only a temporary solution for getting down?  For example could it take damage every time a dwarf uses it or prevent hauling making the player have to replace the rope eventually with more permanent constructions?
Quote from: smjjames
I thought part of the point would be to prevent animals from climbing it. Primates and other animals capable of grasping a rope with hands could definetly be able to climb it, but realistically a horse wouldn't be able to.
Quote from: Aqizzar
I thought it was ropes and ladders because those are physically possible, while building a staircase downward into open space is not.  Which would hardly be the first law of physics DF breaks, but it would get the job done.

Yeah, it's a bit odd to build staircases from above, though it's unclear what will happen in the end.  If I do add ropes, all critters will probably be able to use them, because I don't have more control over path-finding.  Hopefully that will change at some point, but it's not as urgent a concern as being able to get down into open spaces, which will be a pressing matter for this release.

Hm...

No, that's not in yet. I remember it being mentioned back in the devlog quite some time back. All that stuff is hardcoded at the moment

It depends on what you want.  You can apply appearance modifiers to any part.  So you can do short, round mandibles.  However, the modifier types are hard-coded, so "gnarly" antlers wouldn't be possible.  The thing I think I mentioned in the dev log was related to this -- that you could have a "borgle", but you couldn't have a "borgly borgle".  There's just a lot of supporting text that would be needed to get custom modifiers into the descriptions.  I'll probably be adding more hard-coded types before I add custom ones, and the overall format of the paragraphs would need to be further settled before I expose it to the raws in that way, to avoid wasting a huge chunk of time on a dead format.

Quote from: Org

I imagine they could be like craftsdwarves or mechanics instead, but they are currently purple.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: August 11, 2009, 06:25:13 pm »

But what if I confused my doctor for my noble when trying out the magma...

No Im just kidding.   ;)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: August 11, 2009, 06:30:15 pm »

If I do add ropes, all critters will probably be able to use them, because I don't have more control over path-finding.
Do you have any controll over what types of terrain creatures find dangerous?
nb Can you determine 'rope-ladder' construction tiles as dangerous for creatures without prehensile appendages?
I'm assuming pathfinding is reset/blocked by hazardous terrain.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: August 11, 2009, 06:33:37 pm »

If I do add ropes, all critters will probably be able to use them, because I don't have more control over path-finding.
Do you have any controll over what types of terrain creatures find dangerous?
nb Can you determine 'rope-ladder' construction tiles as dangerous for creatures without prehensile appendages?
I'm assuming pathfinding is reset/blocked by hazardous terrain.

Sounds like that could work since camels bieng able to climb ropes is going to be harder to accept than most other things in DF.

I know, how about that a creature is required to have the grasp tag (implying hands) in order to use the rope? You need the can open doors tag in order to use doors, right? So I can see a similar tag bieng used in this way, although a pre-existing tag might work better.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 06:37:47 pm by smjjames »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: August 11, 2009, 06:34:57 pm »

The descriptions are sounding really interesting. Every time I see one of these walls of answers I keep thinking I should really figure out some more questions.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: August 11, 2009, 06:41:28 pm »

you'd still need two 'graspers' to get anywhere on the rope.
I could see cats climbing though. so maybe a check for being able to scale stuff should be added too, but then mountain goats should be able to scale sheer cliffs, but not ropes.

sigh.

I remain with my dwarven bucket lift suggestion, it could be set to activate only for certain types of creature, like pressureplates....
but I think pathfinding is blocked by such a mechanism.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: August 11, 2009, 07:29:58 pm »

Borgles need to be in the game. They could have borgles and be borgly.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 1065