Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3525364 times)

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4155 on: August 27, 2009, 11:04:14 am »

Would have been even more awesome if there was enough melted lion fat to smother the dragon and cause suffocation.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: August 27, 2009, 11:10:50 am »

I had a dragon fight some lions, and after a little bit of dragonfire and close combat, I ended up with a dragon covered with the gramatically-in-progress "lion melted fat spatter".
Hm... dragon covered in gooey lion fat... sounds like a nice dish.
[/quote]
Deat! beat me to it.
hmmm...dragon in lionsause.

edit: wait a minute! How did the dragon get covered in lion gravy?
-Did the lion explode in gore (and fat and other tissuelayers)?
-Did the dragon eat the sizzling lion?
-Did the melting lion attack the dragon?
-Did the dragon and hot lion become lovers?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 01:03:53 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: August 27, 2009, 11:17:07 am »

Plus most of the wiki will likely need a complete wipe and redo.
fixed

I was referring to the modding section only as I was talking about the raws, but yea you're right, the wiki will pratically need to be gutted as the old rules for many things will no longer be valid, the raws for the creatures will be different, not to mention that the current squad system has been slayed and reincarnated as a different thing, plus the burrows and caverns, and I believe HFS, the UG pools, rivers, and both chasm types will either be completely gone (as with the HFS and the chasms) or in a new form (new HFS, I think the UG rivers are bieng changed and there is a chance a bottomless pit may appear in some form).

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: August 27, 2009, 11:18:05 am »

But sharp teeth like needle and such do make some sense (they're sharp, like arrow).

Incidentally, jaguars are apparently one of the few animals that uses a skull-puncturing bite to kill prey its own size.

Also yeah, grammar aside, that "lion melted fat" is a pretty amazing demonstration of a bunch of new combat mechanisms working in concert.  I wonder if the melting of a tissue layer (e.g. subcutaneous fat) causes subordinate layers (skin) to slough off as well.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: August 27, 2009, 11:22:59 am »

In other words, massive 3rd degree burns.

In some cases, the wounds might be pretty horrible to look at even with the descriptions. But hey, we all want the combat logs to be more visceral, right?

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: August 27, 2009, 11:34:59 am »

Plus most of the wiki will likely need a complete wipe and redo.
fixed

I was referring to the modding section only as I was talking about the raws, but yea you're right, the wiki will pratically need to be gutted as the old rules for many things will no longer be valid, the raws for the creatures will be different, not to mention that the current squad system has been slayed and reincarnated as a different thing, plus the burrows and caverns, and I believe HFS, the UG pools, rivers, and both chasm types will either be completely gone (as with the HFS and the chasms) or in a new form (new HFS, I think the UG rivers are bieng changed and there is a chance a bottomless pit may appear in some form).

Perhaps we should archive it like was done with the 2D one?

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: August 27, 2009, 12:05:56 pm »

In other words, massive 3rd degree burns.
Though 3rd degree are implied, this only provides proof of second.
Perhaps we should archive it like was done with the 2D one?
You mean just leave it there and stack all additional information atop it without any differentiating feature?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: August 27, 2009, 12:09:04 pm »

You mean just leave it there and stack all additional information atop it without any differentiating feature?

S/he meant "archive" in a stronger sense than just normal preservation of wiki article history.  Check the 2D archive: http://archive.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Main_Page

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: August 27, 2009, 12:44:11 pm »

I think more accurately Katie is the Groundhog did a peircing slashing Headbutt

Or rather, it sliced the lion in half with its face.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: August 27, 2009, 12:50:14 pm »

Maybe archiving the whole wiki is too much. There's a lot of things (skills, most items, workshops, layers, world generation, AG features, etc.) that won't change noticeably in the future version.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: August 27, 2009, 01:21:33 pm »

I think he made fish groundhogs too hardcore.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Senso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://lendemaindeveille.com
« Reply #4166 on: August 27, 2009, 01:24:53 pm »

Personally, I have no problems making an archive if that's what people require. BUT I am currently trying to see if I could hand out the wiki reins to someone else.
As you probable know, there has been a few problems lately, usually because I filled my space quota on the web host or because they broke PHP after changes or stuff like that.
I've been hosting the wiki since the beginning but I cannot put any more time into it. I am super busy at work, recently became a father and have other time-consuming projects.
If someone else wants to take over, I can provide with the DB dump and point the domain to your server. The small Google Ads banner at the bottom makes enough money to pay my hosting fees (about $15/month, sometimes more). The site consumes about 2GB/day of bandwidth.

I might forget to even come back to look at this thread so the best way is to send me an email (it's on the wiki), contact me on SA (same user name) or on HellMOO (I'm Dionysus).

Sorry for not being really active and all that. I'm not going to shut the wiki down if I don't find anybody but I really wish I could hand it over.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: August 27, 2009, 01:30:38 pm »

Maybe archiving the whole wiki is too much. There's a lot of things (skills, most items, workshops, layers, world generation, AG features, etc.) that won't change noticeably in the future version.

Yea, it's not as radical as the change from 2D which also changed DFs laws of physics a bit I think, not to mention tons of stuff.

As for layers, we'll need to separate it between tissue layers and rock layers (which should be called strata IMO).

As for most items not changing noticeably, I think you should take a look at the spoilered raws and change that. While some things won't be changed much, I have a feeling that we are all going to need a crash course in intro to metallurgy.

While the basic functions of workshops won't change, there are so many changes that everything is going to have to have something added or changed, or even nuked entirely.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: August 27, 2009, 01:59:38 pm »

I think the VAST majority of the changes will be marginal or behavioural (I.E. there are only going to be a few cases where the PLAYER needs to do something different, rather than just a massive change in the descriptions and behaviours of the actual actors.)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: August 27, 2009, 02:26:38 pm »

So you've been ignoring everything concerning the military/squads/training, burrows, the entire underground structure, (SPOILER) creatures, whatever the new HFS turns out to be, unending attacks from the underground, health care and damage, venom, differences in body types and potential between creatures, new attributes, the new semi-civilizations (antmen and such), etc.?

Those are just the things I could remember, anyway, as far as things go that would require not only a change in how the game plays out, but also a change in how the player must go about things.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 1065