Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3528028 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4170 on: August 27, 2009, 02:37:49 pm »

Personally, I have no problems making an archive if that's what people require. BUT I am currently trying to see if I could hand out the wiki reins to someone else.
As you probable know, there has been a few problems lately, usually because I filled my space quota on the web host or because they broke PHP after changes or stuff like that.
I've been hosting the wiki since the beginning but I cannot put any more time into it. I am super busy at work, recently became a father and have other time-consuming projects.
If someone else wants to take over, I can provide with the DB dump and point the domain to your server. The small Google Ads banner at the bottom makes enough money to pay my hosting fees (about $15/month, sometimes more). The site consumes about 2GB/day of bandwidth.

I might forget to even come back to look at this thread so the best way is to send me an email (it's on the wiki), contact me on SA (same user name) or on HellMOO (I'm Dionysus).

Sorry for not being really active and all that. I'm not going to shut the wiki down if I don't find anybody but I really wish I could hand it over.

Congrats to ya for bieng a new father.

Anyways, should we put it to a vote whether to essentially rebuild the wiki from the ground up if there are so many changes? Most of the basic stuff are unchanged... but still.

@G-Flex: I haven't really heard anything about some of the animal men bieng given the status of primitive civilization with perhaps basic toolmaking and possibly trade. Still, their lifespans are going to have to be bumped IMO.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: August 27, 2009, 02:39:21 pm »

So you've been ignoring everything concerning the military/squads/training, burrows, the entire underground structure, (SPOILER) creatures, whatever the new HFS turns out to be, unending attacks from the underground, health care and damage, venom, differences in body types and potential between creatures, new attributes, the new semi-civilizations (antmen and such), etc.?

Those are just the things I could remember, anyway, as far as things go that would require not only a change in how the game plays out, but also a change in how the player must go about things.

I'll save you the long argument, and just say that I don't see any of those things changing how the player actually sets up his fort or plays the game.  (With the exception of squads).

I think things will be significantly more interesting, but the setup and play will remain largely the same.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: August 27, 2009, 02:49:11 pm »

I have no idea how it couldn't. Of COURSE you have to change the way you play the game if you're getting consistently attacked from completely new vectors, and if there are new professions and items to deal with.

And how can you set up your fortress the same when the layout of the underground is so different?

Sure, none of these really change much of anything fundamental, but they're certainly consequential to how people play.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: August 27, 2009, 03:00:15 pm »

Well, of course there's a lot of things to add / edit, but there's also a lot of thing that stay mostly inchanged.

For instance, if you take the "Gameplay elements" of the DF wiki main page :

Activity zones : Except for burrows, the whole fishing or meeting areas won't change at all I guess.
Farming : Won't change. The plants raws will change a bit probably, but that's a minor issue.
Building : Won't change much, also.
Combat : Of course, almost the whole category will need to be rewritten.
Creatures : Except from the raws, most creature will keep their current behavior, I guess. Will need some testing probably.
Designations : Like activity zone, there won't be a lot of change except for Burrows.
Military : Same as combat, the new squads will need a total revamping of the page.
Nobles : Will probably need some updates.
Rooms : Again, there will be burrow-related updates. Also, hospitals.
Skills : New skills, skill rusting and the other skill/attributes changes will need to be added.
Stockpiles : I don't think there will be a lot of change on that side.
Workshops : There might be new buildings, but I doubt it. Minor changes in some building operation (smelters / smith workshop are the more likely) may happens.
Economics : Hm, the trade process won't change much, but items production and value may change quite a bit.
Mining : The whole cavern and burrow things will probably have to be mentioned.
Location : While the above ground won't change, the underground will have to be updated.
Fun : To update, indeed.

In addition, I guess we'll need to add pages for each new features, change pages like "fortress design", inflate the "venom" or "health care" pages (or turn them into categories), and also something for the new descriptions.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: August 27, 2009, 03:06:24 pm »

Lion melted fat spatter. That sounds about right.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: August 27, 2009, 03:45:15 pm »

"Melted Lion Fat Splatter" sound better to me
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: August 27, 2009, 03:55:52 pm »

Splatter of Melted Lion Fat
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: August 27, 2009, 04:01:25 pm »

SO if we are using the arena thing, and take over a dragon or equivalent of one, can we use dragon fire/whatever?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: August 27, 2009, 04:03:14 pm »

SO if we are using the arena thing, and take over a dragon or equivalent of one, can we use dragon fire/whatever?

I don't think Toady assigned it yet. (Dragon fire that is)

So my vote is no

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: August 27, 2009, 04:03:58 pm »

I don't think Toady assigned it yet. (Dragon fire that is)

So my vote is no
:I

Oh vell.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: August 27, 2009, 04:07:42 pm »

^^^ Can't find any quotes but I'm pretty sure Neonivek is right that special attacks (dragonfire, suck blood, fireball) will still be AI only.  That might go for the new spitballs and gas clouds too.

Has combat debugging gotten you fed up enough with the wrestling interface to change it to a two-step system (select attacking part, select targeted part)?

tomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: August 27, 2009, 04:12:44 pm »

How about making a snapshot and duplicating all the content?

so that there would be three versions: the 2D one, the old 3D one and a new 3D one (the last and second would be identical ATM, but the last one missing the soon-to-be updates)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: August 27, 2009, 04:20:51 pm »

You can always play one of the creatures who really don't need special attacks.

Or just mod in a nice Fire weapon. like Firebreath and give it to the dragon.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: August 27, 2009, 04:22:18 pm »

You can always play one of the creatures who really don't need special attacks.

Or just mod in a nice Fire weapon. like Firebreath and give it to the dragon.
Not as fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: August 27, 2009, 04:24:32 pm »

You could sneak over to Toady's house and threaten him with a box of cookies saying "If you don't add a special attack button, Ill eat all these cookies and won't share any of them"
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 1065