Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3510330 times)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5865 on: October 20, 2009, 10:30:18 pm »

z2: Sky
z1: HFS

... WHAT HAVE WE DONE!??
That's not too bad.
z1: HFSky.

THE SKY IS ON FIRE

THE SKY IS ON FIRE

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: October 20, 2009, 11:55:11 pm »

The reason Toady is doing this now is that it goes along naturally with the underground stuff he is already doing.  As you dig deeper, you will encounter increasingly more dangerous stuff with the absolute worst HFS on the bottom level.  You can increase both difficulty and the number of underground features by increasing the number of z-levels.  He is probably also using this new feature a lot in his own testing.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: October 21, 2009, 04:33:42 am »

The vomit wambler: You (Toady) expressed concern about who ate and then vomited the food that comprised the vomit wambler. That's a question that could easily be answered by the sphere associated with it, and any deities that may have been involved in its creation. It might be fun to research the origins of these creatures (in adventure mode) before going up against them, and might even help you learn useful information about how to combat them, or where to discover artifacts that might aid you.

If the vomit wambler was associated with fertility and spring, you could easily grab any god or goddess that had that portfolio. Perhaps you hear a rumor about the creature, then start asking around. Eventually you find yourself in the temple of Ast Naefren the human goddess of motherhood and families, and the high priest tells you that the wambler is a creature of legend, supposedly created when Ast got morning sickness and ralphed in the oysters Rockefeller that her husband had prepared for her. She was so embarrassed about having ruined dinner that she buried it deep beneath the earth and pretended she had eaten it all up.

Well, that went to a silly place, but real mythology is often sillier. It'd be neat to have legends associated with the titans and forgotten beasts, especially when it becomes sort of like the story of Perseus.

And then a giant cave spider eats you.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: October 21, 2009, 04:57:55 am »

It doesn't need an explanation of where the vomit came from as an easy exercise of logical simantics really helps in this case.

If you saw a creature who had the same materials and consistancy as vomit was infront of you, Wouldn't you say he was a vomit monster even though he probably wasn't made from actual vomit? The creature isn't made out of true vomit but except for the quality of being vomited itself it shares all the similarities.

It reminds me of Breath of Fire's "Puss Monster", no one could create that much puss (they were quite large) but their being is more of an extrapolation of the similarities between their make-up.

Also it would be interesting if the vomit monsters would produce a smell that could cause enemies to become nausious.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: October 21, 2009, 05:03:42 am »

z2: Sky
z1: HFS

... WHAT HAVE WE DONE!??
That's not too bad.
z1: HFSky.

THE SKY IS ON FIRE

THE SKY IS ON FIRE
Imagine, walking along the plains, walking, walking, walking, then ahead, you see a gentle slope.  You gasp with fear, for behind that grass you can see deep metals... and then there are darker places where the ramps don't cover.  Those are fine.  It's the brightly lit spot that's getting brighter every second you have to worry about.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: October 21, 2009, 05:08:06 am »

Imagine, walking along the plains, walking, walking, walking, then ahead, you see a gentle slope.  You gasp with fear, for behind that grass you can see deep metals... and then there are darker places where the ramps don't cover.  Those are fine.  It's the brightly lit spot that's getting brighter every second you have to worry about.
Oooh...The Daystar WOULD be a problem at Zlevels = 1.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Ghazz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: October 21, 2009, 06:50:57 am »

Green list-items make me happy :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: October 21, 2009, 06:56:25 am »

Red list items make me sad  :'(

shiruba

• Bay Watcher
  • Eto eto... eto eto...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: October 21, 2009, 11:46:43 am »

Red list items make me sad  :'(

Other colored list items make me confused  ???
"ONORE DIKEIDO, THIS WORLD NO SEKAI SHALL BE YOUR DOOM DESU NE"

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: October 21, 2009, 12:24:39 pm »

So I am assuming that underground features can take place at those extra allocated Z-Levels, right?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: October 21, 2009, 12:26:45 pm »

So I am assuming that underground features can take place at those extra allocated Z-Levels, right?

Presumably it'll try to space out the underground "layers" among the available Z-levels.

Also, woot for green items.  Hopefully the mundane-looking "Update" items for Entity Positions go as fast as the ones for Sites did.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5876 on: October 21, 2009, 01:18:55 pm »

Process DwarfFort cancels task: Gone Insane.

By Armok... It's developed sentience!

If computers ever develop sentience, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Dwarf Fortress is the first one to make it.

No, I'm afraid it won't be dwarf fortress, it'll be spambots, or possibly a spam filter. They are more effective as they approach human sentience.

DF will be the program we install on a sentient computer to keep it too occupied to take over the world.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: October 21, 2009, 01:48:06 pm »

Also, woot for green items.  Hopefully the mundane-looking "Update" items for Entity Positions go as fast as the ones for Sites did.

That's what I'm figuring.  All of the "Update" type items are just making sure the game still works and will probably knock off quickly.  It's all the "Cosiders" and so forth under Squads that haven't been touched yet that worry me.  I'm expecting a lot of the feature expansion there will be cut out for later.

I'm perfectly fine with that.  Remember, Toady's dreaming of a Dwarf Christmas, which means that whole list should be red and green as soon as possible.  It'll look all Christmas-y that way.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: October 21, 2009, 02:33:54 pm »

That's what I'm figuring.  All of the "Update" type items are just making sure the game still works and will probably knock off quickly.  It's all the "Cosiders" and so forth under Squads that haven't been touched yet that worry me.  I'm expecting a lot of the feature expansion there will be cut out for later.

Yeah, I'm half expecting formations to get postponed.  While cool, they stand somewhat apart from the other squad changes.

I'm perfectly fine with that.  Remember, Toady's dreaming of a Dwarf Christmas, which means that whole list should be red and green as soon as possible.  It'll look all Christmas-y that way.

Haha.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: October 21, 2009, 03:03:53 pm »

I searched but I'm not sure whether this has been asked before. :/
Will it be possible to make a race where different castes have access to/use different equipment?

Basically I'm envisioning modding in a (non-playable) race to the game based on were-creatures. Since transformation isn't in, I could set up the creatures such that one cast is essentially human and the other are humanoid werebeasts, but they're considered the same species. For it to really work, though, I'd want the human-form caste to use weapons and armor and the animal-form caste to not use armor or weapons and attack by clawing/biting when you encounter them as enemies.

I still don't really fully understand castes. Will any of that be possible for this coming release?
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 1065