Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3510955 times)

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6345 on: November 06, 2009, 04:06:48 am »

Pterodactyls the size of small planes may have existed, but they were probably frail. I imagine a sword would make short work of a pterodactyl if you managed to hit it. They were tiny compared to their wing span, and as light as possible.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6346 on: November 06, 2009, 04:12:47 am »

If dragons had adamantine bones I think they'd manage to fly around fairly well while still being big and tough to kill. All boxes ticked.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6347 on: November 06, 2009, 04:19:46 am »

Adamantine bones won't do you much good if swords chop up everything down to the bone.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6348 on: November 06, 2009, 04:33:46 am »

So Wolverine is no tougher to kill due to his skeleton? Pre-emptive apology for using that as an argument.

Question for Toady: Have you considered having the level of bodily grime affect work? I'm specifically thinking about penalties associated with having a dirty chef. The chef might contaminate the food and thus affect its value/quality or even cause food poisoning. Or there could be a new bad thought along the lines of, "Was upset to see the food being prepared by a filthy cook."

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6349 on: November 06, 2009, 05:52:51 am »

I would just presume that dragons are able to use the world's innate magical field to counteract the physics.

The only dragon I've seen in game walked into my rats nest of a fortress and died in the flames of the conflagration he started in the dining hall.  Of course, nearly every dwarf was dead by then, but we consider it a tactical victory.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6350 on: November 06, 2009, 06:43:35 am »

Maybe if you made the atmosphere denser and/or added some floatation gas bags to the dragons. Although you would get to a point where you put enough gas bags in or on it that it is no longer a dragon, but some alien gas-bag creature.

Edit: I don't think the higher oxygen content was the reason why they got so big.....

Have you read Expedition by Wayne Douglas Barlowe? "Alien gas-bag creature" immediately makes me think of that. :)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6351 on: November 06, 2009, 06:50:31 am »

Maybe if you made the atmosphere denser and/or added some floatation gas bags to the dragons. Although you would get to a point where you put enough gas bags in or on it that it is no longer a dragon, but some alien gas-bag creature.

Edit: I don't think the higher oxygen content was the reason why they got so big.....

Have you read Expedition by Wayne Douglas Barlowe? "Alien gas-bag creature" immediately makes me think of that. :)

Yep, I have that book back at home.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6352 on: November 06, 2009, 08:11:48 am »

So Wolverine is no tougher to kill due to his skeleton?

It helps but it is mainly his super regenerative abilities which depending on the writer is either stupidly invincible or advantageously reasonable.

In fact, Hit someone with ultra light bones with a hammer and your effectively hitting all their organs. (Wolverine has much denser bones then DF Adamantine)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6353 on: November 06, 2009, 08:21:11 am »

Not to mention it allows his claws to cut through steel like it was paper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6354 on: November 06, 2009, 08:25:35 am »

Not to mention it allows his claws to cut through steel like it was paper.

Well not really no. His Claws are Hard and yes they often magically cut through objects.

You still would need quite a bit of force behind it in order to cut steel.

I mean otherwise he wouldn't be able to climb using his claws. (has has also sometimes been unable to cut through steel)

Adamantine in Dwarf Fortress however has an impossibly fine edge along with being incredably hard.

LostandConfused

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6355 on: November 06, 2009, 08:33:59 am »

Adamantine in Dwarf Fortress however has an impossibly fine edge along with being incredably hard.

Does that mean improperly stored adamantine blades slice into the ground to the handle?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6356 on: November 06, 2009, 08:35:41 am »

Franky it means that you could accidently split atoms in the air with your swings!

Though yes it does unless there is some sort of added wedge.

LostandConfused

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6357 on: November 06, 2009, 08:49:58 am »

Splitting atoms with the swing of your blade...
And for some reason I still hear about dwarves wielding them dying.
Maybe the blast needs to be implemented?

Offtopic alittle
I'm surprised I just noticed dwarves don't have [PREFSTRING:ability to hold liquor] they're alcoholics I've never seen one stumbling the hall of my fort unless insane or mangled.  Maybe it's implied...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6358 on: November 06, 2009, 08:54:15 am »

Because it isn't really something that Id identify with the Dwarves with.

I mean do people who are Lactose Intollerant go "Wow, those people sure can tollerate their lactose"

I don't mind the idea of accidently hitting yourself with your own weapon as long as it is somehow made non-annoying/stupid/noobtrap

LostandConfused

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6359 on: November 06, 2009, 09:15:33 am »

I mean do people who are Lactose Intollerant go "Wow, those people sure can tollerate their lactose"

I don't mind the idea of accidently hitting yourself with your own weapon as long as it is somehow made non-annoying/stupid/noobtrap

Haha ok, good point. 

About the adamantine I was thinking themonuclear explosion (realistic or magical).
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 1065