Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3528367 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6885 on: November 16, 2009, 08:09:35 pm »

they turned out to be close enough to real, basically

I don't know... Would you say Horses exist because a Donkey does?

It isn't what I'd call "Close enough" unless I forgot about the Gait, Skin, and behavior of VR in the movie.

They are quite a bit fundementally different even then. This whole "JP VR are Real" sounds like Sensationalism created to spark interest in the findings.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: November 16, 2009, 08:36:11 pm »

I forgot about the Gait, Skin, and behavior of VR in the movie.

Criticizing a movie for getting these characteristics wrong isn't really fair, when paleontologists are constantly coming up with new theories on those same characteristics.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6887 on: November 16, 2009, 08:38:17 pm »

I am not being criticle of the movie I am mostly saying that the differences between JP VR and RL VR are large enough that to say they are the same creature either intentionally or unintentionally is a bit of a stretch.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: November 16, 2009, 08:46:32 pm »

I am not being criticle of the movie I am mostly saying that the differences between JP VR and RL VR are large enough that to say they are the same creature either intentionally or unintentionally is a bit of a stretch.

There are differences between Woody Woodpecker and a real woodpecker too, but let's get back to the topic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6889 on: November 16, 2009, 08:48:33 pm »

That doesn't change anything Pernament Ink.

Yes back to the topic, which is?

Anyone else here a bit worried that certain randomised good creatures may look consistantly silly?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:50:46 pm by Neonivek »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: November 16, 2009, 08:50:31 pm »

Dwarf Fortress.

Toady, any chance we could see RAW examples of a Sword and Spear to go with the bludgeoning weapons?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:29:15 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: November 16, 2009, 09:34:34 pm »

Toady, any chance we could see RAW examples of a Sword and Spear to go with the bludgeoning weapons?

How 'bout a whip too (if not the whole weapon file)?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: November 16, 2009, 10:09:28 pm »

Heh, Good Old Goring weapons.

I suspect Whips will be dramatically different once we hit the combat arc.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: November 16, 2009, 10:33:49 pm »

I would be ecstatic just to be able to use them in fort mode
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: November 16, 2009, 11:27:57 pm »

Criticizing a movie for getting these characteristics wrong isn't really fair, when paleontologists are constantly coming up with new theories on those same characteristics.

Size isn't a big problem for me, sure velociraptors proper are a lot smaller than in the movie, but they have plenty of similar but larger relatives.  The main problem with the JP velociraptors, and one I can't really blame on the movie makers since they didn't have good evidence at the time, is that they are naked.  It's pretty well established now that most dinosaurs of that type were covered in feathers.  What a raptor may look like.  To bring things back on topic, it would be awesome if Dwarf Fortress were to enter the elite ranks of games with properly feathered therapod dinosaurs, although modding in feathers would probably be pretty easy. 

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: November 16, 2009, 11:51:01 pm »

Ehh, sorry if this has been asked already, but FWIW I've looked everwhere.

How is the new version, performance-wise? How will it compare to 40d and 40dx?

...I can run a 50 dwarf fortress at 60-75 fps, which is just perfect.

EDIT: Ungreened.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:11:03 pm by Amalgam »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: November 16, 2009, 11:58:35 pm »

Quote from: from the devlog
Training weapons are in now. As it stands, dwarves make them at the carpenter. Currently I've got wooden variants of the edged weapons that don't even try to have wooden edges, so they are anti-arterial and anti-eyepokey. You could add in wooden variants of the blunt ones if you like, but I was struck down by the odd-seemingness of that again at the last moment

Yea, I can see how wooden training variants of the blunt weapons would seem odd because a mace is an advanced club, and so a wooden mace is just an advanced wooden club, a wooden warhammer would be a wooden sledgehammer or mallet.

Bieng able to make wooden weapons is also like laughing in the face of the elves and saying 'Oh yea, we ALSO have wooden weapons and so we don't need yours. Ours are 100% Dwarf kosher, yours.... suck!."

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: November 17, 2009, 12:41:13 am »

Size isn't a big problem for me, sure velociraptors proper are a lot smaller than in the movie, but they have plenty of similar but larger relatives.  The main problem with the JP velociraptors, and one I can't really blame on the movie makers since they didn't have good evidence at the time, is that they are naked.  It's pretty well established now that most dinosaurs of that type were covered in feathers.  What a raptor may look like.  To bring things back on topic, it would be awesome if Dwarf Fortress were to enter the elite ranks of games with properly feathered therapod dinosaurs, although modding in feathers would probably be pretty easy. 

Luckily he doesn't have to deal with properly feathering them at the moment because proper feathers (and eggs) are a future development goal and not an immediate one.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: November 17, 2009, 02:26:05 am »

What's this? Training weapons that I don't have to jump through hoops to get and to assign (and unassign when the orcs come knocking?) Awesome.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: November 17, 2009, 04:02:23 am »

Heh, Good Old Goring weapons.

I suspect Whips will be dramatically different once we hit the combat arc.

Yeah, gore damage is weird.  I was playing Adventure Mode recently and noticing how it's basically the Veg-O-Matic of damage types.

I would be ecstatic just to be able to use them in fort mode

Wish granted: "Weapon types beyond the usual six are now supported by squads and other pieces of fortress mode. This'll mostly come up in mods, but you could also bump into a situation where you would really want to use the many scourges or bows/arrows that are around (if you find yourself under attack after a siege and short on weapons for whatever reason, say)."

How is the new version, performance-wise? How will it compare to 40d and 40dx?

Quote from: Kulantan
Given the materials changes and such how will the new version compare to the 40d series in terms of speed?

It's more the underground layers and so on that can potentially have effects, I think.  There's a slight speed loss from tissues when it actually has to monitor temperatures, but it mostly doesn't have to do that.  I haven't done a lot of huge fights, but the arena didn't have a huge lag from the new model as far as I've noticed.  There are a few lag issues that need to be resolved in world generation and during embark, but I should be able to handle them.
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 1065