Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3529719 times)

Roxorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8130 on: December 07, 2009, 06:46:06 pm »

soon, yes soon. When is soon? In time for christmas? In time for my birthday?. I expect sometime in january.

It may be released after Christmas, but hey, it's not a grim hopeless wait like, say, waiting on George R.R. Martin to finish his fifth novel in between eating and watching football.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8131 on: December 07, 2009, 06:58:29 pm »

Toady, I have a question to do with something Im making, but Im unsure whether I email it or what?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8132 on: December 07, 2009, 07:00:48 pm »

Well, if you want to keep it a surprise for the forum you could email or PM it (of the two, email is probably a better bet), if you don't mind revealing what you're making, just ask like normal.

Although if its the Soap Tower thing, yea, email I guess.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 07:02:26 pm by smjjames »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8133 on: December 07, 2009, 07:04:26 pm »

Blabitty Bloopity

Nothing to see here
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 07:59:28 pm by Org »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8134 on: December 07, 2009, 07:06:03 pm »

Woe betide to any followers of gods who appear as a (fe)male Dwarf...
You'd think so, but
One potential way to easily (IMHO) put in dietary restrictions would be to look at a civ's pantheon. If any of the deities are "typically represented as XXXXXX", then you could have a dietary taboo for that animal. For instance, I've seen the occasional dwarven deity represented as a mountain goat. So, goats would be off the menu.

Or, goats might be the main dish. Cultures are funny like that. I think a civ-wide taboo would be a heck of a lot easier to code in than a civ-wide preference. Alternately, it could be tied to the specific religion of that deity, so only members who worship that deity observe the taboo. Kind of nice way to create sub-cultures within a civ.
Right. People eat human for religious purposes after all.
If turtle shells are now left at the fishery, does this mean that the prepared turtles that merchants bring are no longer a source of shell? Moods/mandates just got a little bit harder.
It also means no supercheap shells on embark for now...this bodes ill.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8135 on: December 07, 2009, 07:06:36 pm »

Well, its already on the Forum, so I guess it doesnt matter if I post it here or not.

Im making a Dwarf Fortress Card-ish Board game, and recently, I have been offered by another forum-goer, Moghopper, a chance to host this game on his website. However, he wanted to make sure this would be okay with you first.

If you're wondering about whether you should use the DF name for your card game project, I couldn't find anything that Toady himself has said on the matter, but it might get you frowned upon.  Anyway, if you want to get opinions from community members, ask for opinions in your thread.  If you want to get Toady's opinion, yes, just email him -- it's not a development-related question and you probably won't get a quick answer here.  It doesn't need to be discussed in this thread.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8136 on: December 07, 2009, 07:16:27 pm »

Well, its not a game as that guy was working on, and I wasn't selling it. Yeah, Ill email him.

Sorry,
Org.

Doomduckie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: December 07, 2009, 07:41:01 pm »

Because of my everincreasing love of how close we're getting, and an interest in updates, here are two ways of visualising the dwarf fortress completion as of today, which will probably be the last time I get the urge to do this again, given how close we are to done.

The images are somewhat large (the latter requires scrolling), but they are better than making them as small as the previous ones and giving anyone who attempts to read them astigmatism.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Box form- each row is a representation of a macro-item, such as the top one being 'wounds'. Each 24x24 'megapixel' is a single item on the development list, save the top and side row which are decorative (they encode meaning, but I doubt it's decipherable to anyone).

Alternatively:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bar form- the vertical aspect is now meaningless, pixels are duplicated to make it easier to see. The separated first pixel on the left is decorative and encodes meaning that does not matter. This display mode resembles a defrag meter. Each 6 pixels of width and 84 pixels of height (a rectangular bar) is now a development item. This one is less informative, but perhaps more intuitive.

In any case, the raw percents for 'pixels' are are:
172/195 100% completed (88.21%)
001/195 090% completed (00.51%)
013/195 000% completed (06.67%)
009/195 feature deferred (04.62%)

181.9/195.0 raw completion score (93.28%)

Disclaimer: All extrapolations are wildly inaccurate as they assume, for example, that testing the entire release and fixing the catmouth bug are equally significant items. This means that they are not reliable in the slightest at predicting the future and only exist because they amuse me.

All Extrapolations have been Extirpated. Instead I will merely note 3 things.
1) Graphs are pretty.
2) That's a lot of green. And red, which is good for completion too.
3) Completing squads gives 2 large unbroken flashes of green for the eyes, so it looks really done compared to just a week ago.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 12:27:50 am by Doomduckie »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: December 07, 2009, 07:51:39 pm »

Wheat did a decent enough job for Europeans but adding potatoes to their diet was useful for stabilizing their diet further. They've got wheat in northern China as well but I'm not familiar with the usual deficiencies in a rice based diet (or are there none?) They've got soy beans there though so maybe they've always been supplementing their diets with those.

i think the major problem with a rice only diet is the lack of vitamin A, wich can lead to blindness

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8139 on: December 07, 2009, 07:52:21 pm »

In other words, there is a very slim chance of a 2009 release. You still have to take into account the christmas shopping and the christmas holiday, so a release a few days before New Years seems even slimmer.

I would be surprised if it took as long as until February, but a January release is pretty definete.

Yhe rope ladder thing is going to be a sticking point as even Toady is not sure how the heck to do that.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8140 on: December 07, 2009, 07:56:35 pm »

Disclaimer: All extrapolations are wildly inaccurate as they assume, for example, that testing the entire release and fixing the catmouth bug are equally significant items. This means that they are not reliable in the slightest at predicting the future and only exist because they amuse me.
Thanks so much. However I'm sure we'll see tons more release date extrapolation regardless. You know what? I don't think I've done it yet. I'd better prepare to surprise everyone with yet another estimate for this in the coming weeks.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Doomduckie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8141 on: December 07, 2009, 08:00:17 pm »

I'm unsure if that's sarcasm. Mostly I just think graphs are pretty, but when you show people a graph and say "Hey look it's almost done" they'll just say back "How close is almost done" so I figured I'd make some guesses.

And yes, I didn't consider Christmas because, well, who am I to tell Toady how long his Christmas vacation should be? It's already pretty presumptuous making optimistic guesses, so I've since removed them, since, well, they're unachievable so it sounds a bit rude to 'predict', even if you tell people the prediction is inaccurate.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:02:07 pm by Doomduckie »

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8142 on: December 07, 2009, 08:02:29 pm »

JANUARY 6th!

:D
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8143 on: December 07, 2009, 08:02:51 pm »

The butchering sounds awesome Toady!

Ive always wanted Dragon Intestine Roasts!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: December 07, 2009, 08:20:39 pm »

Wheat did a decent enough job for Europeans but adding potatoes to their diet was useful for stabilizing their diet further. They've got wheat in northern China as well but I'm not familiar with the usual deficiencies in a rice based diet (or are there none?) They've got soy beans there though so maybe they've always been supplementing their diets with those.

i think the major problem with a rice only diet is the lack of vitamin A, wich can lead to blindness
beriberi a vitamin deficiency syndrome characterised by spasms and blindness due to loss of nerve function (IIRC). Actually this mainly applies to the luxurious polished rice, rice with husks do contain some vitamin.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:34:10 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 1065