Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3510222 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10155 on: January 10, 2010, 02:06:39 pm »

As for genning populations, I don't think populations should be sorted always according to their real world distributions.  Eg, it would be nice for continents to have different fauna, but they don't always have to have "North American" and "Austrailian" groups all together

It's a bit of a fallacy anyway, since in the recent geological past most large mammal groups could be found distributed over far larger areas of the globe then they are today. Admittedly Australian fauna has always* been isolated and unique, but back in the good ol' days, the fauna of America, Europe, Asia and Africa wasn't terribly distinct.

*well, usually.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10156 on: January 10, 2010, 02:42:44 pm »

Also it would be neat to see a wolf try to attack a porcupine, get driven off with a face full of needles, and you kill the wolf later and find the needles on the corpse.

I was thinking about something like this a bit ago ...

The game could do* with a pre-game (world-gen) match-up (or series of match-ups) between each creature that is likely to face each other, then they would all store a little bit of history of the fights, which would inform the AI of the beast in the world.

This would be the bit where a Magma Man learns that all he needs to do would be hold Dwarfs, Elfs and Humans by the face for long enough to boil the respective brain, and inevitably win. Rather than swinging randomly with some sort of improv magma-man kung-fu.

And also where the wolf learns that a porcupine is not a viable lunch.

Emergent behaviour, mod-compatible, but *I have no idea whether this is even remotely practical, from a programming point of view.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10157 on: January 10, 2010, 02:57:08 pm »

Maybe not a god, but an angel or demigod level of power is about right.
I get the impression that way back then it was difficult to explain to a person how being a god was anything more than having authority and a little magic.

Maybe they just got godlier as our expectations of gods grew.

Also it would be neat to see a wolf try to attack a porcupine, get driven off with a face full of needles, and you kill the wolf later and find the needles on the corpse.

I was thinking about something like this a bit ago ...

The game could do* with a pre-game (world-gen) match-up (or series of match-ups) between each creature that is likely to face each other, then they would all store a little bit of history of the fights, which would inform the AI of the beast in the world.

This would be the bit where a Magma Man learns that all he needs to do would be hold Dwarfs, Elfs and Humans by the face for long enough to boil the respective brain, and inevitably win. Rather than swinging randomly with some sort of improv magma-man kung-fu.

And also where the wolf learns that a porcupine is not a viable lunch.

Emergent behaviour, mod-compatible, but *I have no idea whether this is even remotely practical, from a programming point of view.
If it's not practical for world gen each time we might be able to run some other thing. It would store all that info in a text file somewhere and you'd only have to redo it when you added or removed entities. Otherwise the world would just skim through it each time for relationships.

So actually laying down all the code to make this stuff happen is the big task and only Toady knows what old hard code jungle he's going to have the machete through to do it.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10158 on: January 10, 2010, 03:17:14 pm »

I think a chainsaw would be more fitting for that sort of jungle. Or a hacksaw... since it's, you know, a code jungle...  >_>

Anyway.

You could have default behavioral patterns embedded into creatures. Because in real life, creatures have preferred methods of attack. Big cats ambush, chase, pounce, and bite your head (well, neck) off. A magma man would simply grab you and punch you until you boiled. Setting up default attack preferences would be rather straightforward, and combined with generated predator-victim relationships it'd produce some nice behavior.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10159 on: January 10, 2010, 03:25:00 pm »

steel battle axe is the dwarven way to do it

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10160 on: January 10, 2010, 03:28:28 pm »

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10161 on: January 10, 2010, 03:38:32 pm »

I think a chainsaw would be more fitting for that sort of jungle. Or a hacksaw... since it's, you know, a code jungle...  >_>

Anyway.

You could have default behavioral patterns embedded into creatures. Because in real life, creatures have preferred methods of attack. Big cats ambush, chase, pounce, and bite your head (well, neck) off. A magma man would simply grab you and punch you until you boiled. Setting up default attack preferences would be rather straightforward, and combined with generated predator-victim relationships it'd produce some nice behavior.

This makes me want to mod magma men to only give out firey doom hugs instead of punching. They're really nice people, they just don't know they're on fire.

As for more on topicness, a seperate ecology file from worldgen is a good idea. It'd be especially nice if it was tweakable to fix any glitches in it, but I doubt that will happen.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10162 on: January 10, 2010, 03:41:39 pm »

This makes me want to mod magma men to only give out firey doom hugs instead of punching. They're really nice people, they just don't know they're on fire.
Tentacle demons are only trying to give you high fives with their tentacles but they have terrible aim.  ::)

That being said, glad to see Toady's doing well again.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10163 on: January 10, 2010, 05:49:57 pm »

That would make sense, since dwarves don't realize they're on fire either. Hence the booze explosions and similar.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10164 on: January 10, 2010, 05:58:37 pm »

Booze doesn't explode. Booze never exploded.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10165 on: January 10, 2010, 06:00:50 pm »

Dragons just want to say hi, but everytime they breathe fire by accident.

Ironically, all they want to say is 'run away, every time I do this somebody catches on fire!'
Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #10166 on: January 10, 2010, 08:17:36 pm »

Batmen just want to kill villains, but somehow they are confused and...
I have no idea where that sentence would have gone if I hadn't abandoned it.

In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.
Much more efficient then tentacle demons.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10167 on: January 10, 2010, 10:17:23 pm »

I think I have found my very first sigquote, if you do not mind.

As far as on-topic goes... being able to define a creature's general tendencies would be rather nice.  Of course, there would have to be missing parts; i.e., wolves that live near cliffs would probably start to use said cliffs as a hunting tactic, driving a panicked prey animal off the cliffs to do the dirty work for them.  (Eagles will do the same to hunt prey too large for them to carry, which means giant eagles might drive elephants off cliffs...)  Seems like it would start to get complicated fast to include all the possible geological adaptations individual packs/specimens of animals might make to their hunting style depending on the natural formations they live near.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10168 on: January 10, 2010, 11:00:44 pm »

The game won't be complete until Man's oldest hunting tactic is modelled. They followed the animal until it fell over from exhaustion.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10169 on: January 10, 2010, 11:50:40 pm »

I wish it were possible to chop off ears, preferably from elven children, then make a necklace or some time of accessory with it. Multiple accessories. Then walk around with your bling.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 1065