Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3510105 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10890 on: January 23, 2010, 09:20:04 am »

It's my birthday today, so, I'm quite happy to find a new post.

Also, Poems/raps are easy if you follow the 5/9/11/13 rule!

Read what I write, and count the sylables for each line, then make up any old poem about anything, using the same sylables.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10891 on: January 23, 2010, 10:10:36 am »

I wouldn't mind Toady skipping ladders, personally; it'd be MUCH easier to do them in a quick release during the bugfix waves.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10892 on: January 23, 2010, 11:31:30 am »

I wouldn't mind Toady skipping ladders, personally; it'd be MUCH easier to do them in a quick release during the bugfix waves.

You might when you cant take full advantage of all the wonderful underground stuff.

Anyway, it looks like the end is near with only one more item on the list before finalization.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10893 on: January 23, 2010, 11:34:48 am »

Can you build stairs down?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10894 on: January 23, 2010, 11:41:34 am »

You might when you cant take full advantage of all the wonderful underground stuff.

Anyway, it looks like the end is near with only one more item on the list before finalization.

Well, Toady realizes how important it is and people have said that they wouldn't mind if he used a sort of placeholder or hack to have it work because there is the pathing issue which would mean that anything can use it.

In that way, it could be thought of as more like an elevator system, which would explain why animals that couldn't possibly be able to use the ladders can use them.

@Neonivek: You can build a downstairs, but you can't build another stairway below that (aside from digging) with no access to it.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10895 on: January 23, 2010, 11:47:33 am »

Diablous has been ecstatic lately. An item has been greened out lately.

Yes! Another item greened out. One step closer to release. I can't wait the next version will be awesome!

Oh, and, don't really mind if Toady skips ladders. But, thats probably because I want the release ASAP.

Anybody else get an uncontrollable rage when they see he hasn't posted every day? I come on every day to view the DevBlog, and I get this odd feeling of puzzlement and murderous jealousy mixed into two when I see nothing new.

I feel a mixture of depression and like I was cheated out of something.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10896 on: January 23, 2010, 01:42:00 pm »

Can you build stairs down?

You can DIG down to make stairs of course, but you can't BUILD them onto an empty space from above.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10897 on: January 23, 2010, 01:49:47 pm »

Meaning that if you embark on a nanofort with a giant underground cavern three levels down, you're pretty much stuck.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10898 on: January 23, 2010, 01:58:58 pm »

Meaning that if you embark on a nanofort with a giant underground cavern three levels down, you're pretty much stuck.
That there sounds like the exact reason why rope ladders are needed. Since there are now suppose to be large underground caves and such.

But the big question is how can it be solved without having to reconstruct the whole pathfinder issue? Though if my memory serves correctly that pathfinder issue only revolves around if were going to limit only humanoid creatures to use the ladder correct? So if we allow animals to climb it, then it would mean less time needed to construct rope ladders right? Though in the end it's truly up to Toady...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 02:02:11 pm by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10899 on: January 23, 2010, 02:06:07 pm »

That there sounds like the exact reason why rope ladders are needed. Since there are now suppose to be large underground caves and such.

But the big question is how can it be solved without having to reconstruct the whole pathfinder issue? Though if my memory serves correctly that pathfinder issue only revolves around if were going to limit only humanoid creatures to use the ladder correct? So if we allow animals to climb it, then it would mean less time needed to construct rope ladders right?

Toady has said he is aware of the graspers and stuff and he is about to tackle the thing.

The pathing issue is the same with pets (and other non-humanoid creatures) and doors, so yea, the main issue is not so much as figuring out how to build it than making it work the way it should (and people want it to) work without resulting in massive lag.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10900 on: January 23, 2010, 02:10:24 pm »

You could, for example, make lifts instead of ladders. Meta-lifts, as it were, that only operate while someone operates them. This could be a temporary workaround for "animals climbing", since they'd actually be lifted, but it introduces problems of other sorts. Like, what if a horde of haulers decides to use the virtual lift? It'd function more like a teleport then, and that's beyond the circa-1400 era limit, if my memory serves me right. :)

Then, you could add the ladders as an experimental feature with lag, but then make them retractable. A retracted ladder won't generate lag, so retract it if you are keeping animals down there for some reason.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10901 on: January 23, 2010, 02:11:03 pm »

perhaps if ropes werent used in pathfinding calculations and dwarves wouldn't use them for normal movement, only if we specifically told them to use them...it would also enforce the rope's function as a temporary solution for exploring caves and such until you could build proper accesses

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10902 on: January 23, 2010, 02:24:20 pm »

That said, I see no reason not to treat it as the graphics sets we use now.  By default, Dwarf Fortress only comes with the minimum of what you need to run it, with support for graphical enhancements that you have to download separately.  All we really need is for the engine to support sounds for events and let people use whatever audio set they want or none at all as the case may be.
A friend of mine that loves this stuff stopped trying to play the game when I told him about graphics packs. I was waiting until he learned the controls some and for him to say that he had a hard time telling if a c was a condor or a crocodile or otherwise complain of eye strain. I actually simplified the process of installing it for him quite a bit but he thought it an enormous labor to install them.

He's planning to go to school to get a programming degree so I think he's a bit doomed but even so I count this as a huge failure at introducing someone to the game.

I have always envisioned Plump Helmets to be similar to the shape of Button Mushrooms, they are short (Around 4 Inches) and have a large 'helmet' looking head which curls inward to form a lip halfway down its thick stem. They are coloured the same as any normal mushroom, white, but with a tinge of cream and yellow...
That's my default mental image for any mushroom that doesn't have spots, isn't growing out of the side of a tree, or isn't an ascocarp.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10903 on: January 23, 2010, 02:26:16 pm »

As long as the Underground cannot become so vast as to make digging down to pockets impossible I guess holding back on ladders and ropes is viable.

Though allowing Stairs to be built straight down could also be a good placemat.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10904 on: January 23, 2010, 02:28:27 pm »

As long as the Underground cannot become so vast as to make digging down to pockets impossible I guess holding back on ladders and ropes is viable.

Though allowing Stairs to be built straight down could also be a good placemat.

huh?, lol You probably mean placement, I think.
Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729 ... 1065