Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3510873 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11220 on: January 26, 2010, 07:13:23 am »

Quote from: Sean Mirrsen
Since the next version is nearing completion, can we get a preview of the new raws? We modders will kinda need them.
Quote from: Footkerchief
Off the top of my head, I'd like to see raws for:
    * updated material templates
    * updated tissue templates
    * a magma man
    * a venom syndrome with localized effects
    * a custom workshop
    * entity positions for dwarves or whoever
    * the two creature variations

The variations stuff should be kicking around the Ark thread now, and there's a custom workshop in this post.
I haven't touched this critter to verify, but:
[CE_BLISTERS:SEV:25:PROB:100:LOCALIZED:RESISTABLE:START:50:PEAK:1000:END:2000]
is a localized venom effect.
Magma man:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Metal template:
Lung tissue template:
Dwarf positions (hammerer item is currently busted and not in there, general had an issue and world-level military ones are basically meaningless, take them with a grain of salt, but this is basically it):

Quote from: Reese
will other civilizations ever eventually react to you building a fort within their geopolitical boundaries?  I'd like to think there will eventually be repercussions if a group of dwarfs just started digging in in the middle of human territories, especially if they are digging up all sorts of valuable minerals and gems that technically belong to the humans...
Quote from: The Minister
Will proximity to political boundaries affect rate of sieges?  For example, would a fort deep within Dwarven territory, far from a border, would lead to fewer sieges, but being right on the boundary with goblins (for example) would lead to frequent raids and sieges by goblins?

Once we have armies moving around on the map, and those are related to sieges, which is a predecessor to the "improved sieges" that comes up as a near development goal, this is going to happen to some extent.  More diplomacy related ramifications will be later.

Quote from: slink
How do the reactions work at the smelter?  Are they percentage probability or percentage completion?  Popular opinion had it that they are percentage completion but testing by a couple of us in the modding forum indicated that it was percentage probability with some weighting from unknown sources.  It was definitely not percentage completion weighted by same operator/same smelter.  We decided that only Tarn Adams could answer the question.  This is relevant in this thread because the new custom shops will undoubtedly be using the same sorts of reactions.  This is a hugely important feature in the new version, for some of us.

The way it works currently, which is open to additions of course, it to go through each product, and if it clears the chance (a single roll), it gives you all of the number.  It doesn't roll the chance for each individual one of a given product, and no invisible partial products are stored.  If you have odd numbers of reagents coming in (like lots of extra), you can get extra product, but the single chance must be cleared first.  So pretty much the clunkiest, most simple interpretation.

Quote from: smjjames
Just wondering out loud out of curiosity, any idea what breed of cat Scamps is or is he a 'mutt' or whatever you call a mixed breed cat?

Did Journey to the Center of the Earth (any of its incarnations in books and movies) inspire you for the underground stuff?

The manx seems involved.  Cats from his family are large, so something like a Maine Coon is also possible, since they also had some ear tufts I'd seen in pictures of those those.  But I don't have any specific information.

I'm sure later incarnations had a lot to do with stuff (I don't remember reading the original) -- as far as I know, everything with underground jungles in any western art of any kind sprang from that.  Of course, it could have taken that from something else I don't know about.

Quote from: Thndr
So potentially with all the underground work going on, kobolds will have towns/cities in caves now?

Nah, they've got their own untouched core item.

Quote from: Man In Zero G
Regarding underground plant growth - will we be getting soil z-levels naturaly occuring in the underground or will there be some other way plants are spreading? Also, new underground plants maybe?

Still mud.  There might be new underground plants.

Quote from: jokermatt999
Since this topic winds up going off topic for dozens of posts, perhaps we could have some better organization for questions about the next version. Instead of one megathread, what about creating a separate forum titled "Questions about upcoming features". Instead of one thread for questions, have multiple. Create a new topic for a question (or set of), and it'd be easier than wading through this monster. Add someone like Footkerchief as a moderator, and edit the title to "[Answered] <question goes here>" if a forum member can adequately answer it, and Toady could not have to worry about having several thousand posts to read. It also makes searching (and finding) previously answered questions much easier. However, it'd mean missing out on all this random discussion, assuming Toady reads it. Opinions?

I feel like sticking with this for this release.  After that, I'm not sure.  These megathreads might be a thing of the past, possibly.

Quote from: Zantan
When designing custom workshops, can you define the length of time required to complete a job?  How specific can you be when defining the materials required for building the shop?  Could you give us example raws for custom workshops?

No job durations yet.  The building materials are the same as in reactions.  Here's the soap maker's shop I'm currently using:

I don't remember if I tested this specific reaction or not.

Quote from: UseBees
are crowns wearable?

They should be in the current version.  They are "shaped", so they wouldn't be wearable with shaped helmets.

Quote from: Quatch
Will storing invisible sites cause places visited first in adventurer mode to be selectable as dwarf-mode fortress sites?

You could place your dwarf fortress on top of them, but if I did it right, they are all 1x1 and invisible in all ways.  I just needed to preserve the sites.  It's too much of a hack to be something for passing actual game information around, for now anyway.  I'm not sure how it'll evolve with adventurer sites/entities/etc.

Quote from: James.Denholm
Have you considered making modders be able to specify exclusions  of certain tags from the "general" caste for each caste?

It has come up on occasion, but it's not a totally quick thing to do, the way things work.

Quote from: Kaiser Reinhard
Toady, since now soldiers will become attached to their weapons, will tthey be willing to give up their, say, Copper War Hammer for an Iron one? Or a *Steel War Hammer*? Or maybe a masterful adamantine one?

Not if they are actually attached to it (should be reasonably rare), and not just familiar with it.  You can force them away from it if it doesn't match their uniform (I think, I can't find anything quickly contradicting that).  Attachment is a long process, so if you've got reasonable upgrades coming up, it won't happen until you stall, and then you are probably reasonably satisfied.

Quote from: Rafal99
After all of the material, body structure and combat changes will dwarves still try to kill zombies by infinitely twisting a stuck weapon into a wound, trying to make them bleed to death? (which simply cannot happen for zombies)

Probably.  I don't remember changing that.

Just out of curiosity, how did you fix the annoying cat bug?

I found a vermin hunter condition in there.  The 40d# one used the mouth tag, which would be very wrong for some critters.  Vermin hunter is an over-broad tag itself, but at least their hauls are always vermin hunting.  Unless you stick it on your guys, which does who knows what.

spoilered questions in here, haven't exactly been consistent about it myself though
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11221 on: January 26, 2010, 07:30:40 am »

Whoa, awesome. The first thing that came to mind when seeing that the Hammerer's role as executioner is now a token was how amusing it would be if it was given to mandate-making nobles. Urist McCount cancels idle: Making an example of soap maker.

Looks great, Toady! I'm even more excited about the update now.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11222 on: January 26, 2010, 08:30:07 am »

i'm giddy as a school-dwarf!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11223 on: January 26, 2010, 09:18:06 am »

Pretty cool stuff there :)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11224 on: January 26, 2010, 09:24:06 am »

DM jokes, you will be missed somewhat.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11225 on: January 26, 2010, 09:26:04 am »

What I've read here about what is to be expected of the new release is impressive. I'm definetly looking forward to seeing how this will turn out once it's released.

On the other end though, looking at the dev blog, I'm not surprised with what it said regarding d17 since I already heard the message Baughn that not everything was ready....

Looks like they got thier hands full since as I stated before...communication is key between the two of them in order to get 40d17 out and tested so that to get it implimented.

I'm guessing this process could take a little while since we have no confimation date. ^^;;; Perhaps he can get the hydras tested in the meantime.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

baby_peacock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11226 on: January 26, 2010, 09:27:17 am »

Quote from: JoshuaFH
Hey, you know how it's possible to engrave floors? Well, what if I don't LIKE whatever material the floor is? As it stands, I can place artificial floors down with other materials, but not artificial engravings ontop of the natural floors! Will this change in the future? I want my entire fortress to adhere to ONE color scheme!

can I engrave those constructed floors in the future?

I always thought of engraving lots of blocks as sort of weird, at least for a large engraving.  You'll probably be allowed to place larger engraved panels later.

I think engraved walls consisting of several blocks were pretty common historically, *especially* for large engravings. Here are some reference images from Angkor Wat:

Now these have naturally deteriorated over the years. I imagine the gaps between blocks were much less noticable when they were new.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #11227 on: January 26, 2010, 10:23:13 am »

Toady, in your posted Dwarven positions raw, "duchy" is spelled "duchyy".
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11228 on: January 26, 2010, 10:26:59 am »

Did Journey to the Center of the Earth (any of its incarnations in books and movies) inspire you for the underground stuff?
I'm sure later incarnations had a lot to do with stuff (I don't remember reading the original) -- as far as I know, everything with underground jungles in any western art of any kind sprang from that.  Of course, it could have taken that from something else I don't know about.
The long lead-in time for this release explained

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11229 on: January 26, 2010, 10:44:10 am »

I think Toady was refering to engraving already set blocks rather then using engraved blocks.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11230 on: January 26, 2010, 11:14:06 am »

I think Toady was refering to engraving already set blocks rather then using engraved blocks.
How's that significantly different?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

FatedTemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11231 on: January 26, 2010, 11:15:20 am »

I always thought of engraving lots of blocks as sort of weird, at least for a large engraving.  You'll probably be allowed to place larger engraved panels later.

I saw it the other way, people have been decorating constructed buildings for thousands of years. Just look at the pyramids or decorations such as a frieze, pediment or relief. There's no reason constructions can't be made of large blocks of stone which can then be worked with various decorations. Or maybe separating constructions into blocks and bricks though that would mean more management. Whatever happens it would be nice to see engrave-able constructions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11232 on: January 26, 2010, 11:17:26 am »

Yes but in what order?

Toady doesn't want this
Make Blocks, Set blocks, engrave blocks

He wants this
Make blocks, engrave blocks, set blocks

To make it easier to understand my confusing writing.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11233 on: January 26, 2010, 11:22:47 am »

Dwarf positions (...take them with a grain of salt...):

Are player powers of promotion hard-coded and not reflected in the raws?  I thought we were going to be able to appoint the baron, and I noticed the others we previously appointed (treasurer, manager, etc) are now appointed by the expedition leader/mayor...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11234 on: January 26, 2010, 11:25:55 am »

Nifty! I always like reading these.

And the example raws will be quite useful.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 1065