Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3510202 times)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11235 on: January 26, 2010, 11:37:46 am »

That workshop file is making me giddy.

*is giddy*
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #11236 on: January 26, 2010, 12:49:47 pm »

One thing about the workshop that puzzled me is that for a given dimension of 3 x 3, the symbols and colors along one axis are defined 0 - 3, and along the other are defined 1 - 3.  This could be an error or a special feature having to do with animation, or something else completely.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11237 on: January 26, 2010, 01:03:56 pm »

One thing about the workshop that puzzled me is that for a given dimension of 3 x 3, the symbols and colors along one axis are defined 0 - 3, and along the other are defined 1 - 3.  This could be an error or a special feature having to do with animation, or something else completely.
85% on the 0-3 index being the multiple stages of construction.

Would make the maps readable, as they're in 3x3 blocks right now.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #11238 on: January 26, 2010, 01:10:20 pm »

In the monarch entry...

[SPOUSE_MALE:king consort:kings consort]
[SPOUSE_FEMALE:queen consort:queens consort]

Those singulars/plurals seem pretty strange to me. Shouldn't that be more like
[SPOUSE_MALE:kings consort:kings consorts]
[SPOUSE_FEMALE:queens consort:queens consorts]
?

(Edit: That is, assuming apostrophes in raws are no-nos, I'm fuzzy on the specifics there. Else king's/queen's?)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 01:14:28 pm by Halconnen »

goffrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11239 on: January 26, 2010, 01:17:59 pm »

In the monarch entry...

?

(Edit: That is, assuming apostrophes in raws are no-nos, I'm fuzzy on the specifics there. Else king's/queen's?)

Nope.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11240 on: January 26, 2010, 01:20:46 pm »

Dwarf positions (...take them with a grain of salt...):

Again, with the above quote in mind, I didn't see the Advisor...is he out?  Do the raws also indicate that we will now house the diplomat and liason if we get the king, or are those just for current civ level stuff right now?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11241 on: January 26, 2010, 01:22:16 pm »

Damn if oi count right my average in Questions-answered-by-toady is going down  :-[ . I need to find some new, relevant and serious (maybe even intelligent) questions. Anyway thank you for aswering toady.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11242 on: January 26, 2010, 01:33:42 pm »

In the monarch entry...

?

No, it's plural, not possessive.  In a monarchy,  you will have a king and a queen.  Historically, the king almost always is the ruler, but not always.  The ruling monarch is the King/Queen Regnant.  The monarch who is the monarch by virtue of marriage is the King/Queen Consort.

As for pluralization issues, Consort here is basically an adjective, as it is specifying what kind of King/Queen.  When you pluralize a term, it's only the noun that gets the "s".  Green Apple becomes Green Apples (as opposed to Greens Apples or Greens Apple).  By the same rule, One Notary Public, two Notaries Public.  One King Consort, two Kings Consort.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #11243 on: January 26, 2010, 01:35:21 pm »

The 0 - 3 axis is almost certainly how complete the building is, with 0 being unbuilt and 3 fully built. The 150 in those raws is the bucket, being moved around while the workshop is built.

Looking through the entity raws, it seems that an entity could conceivably have multiple rulers, a la Roman consuls, or maybe a larger council? I suspect that would currently have unintended consequences, though.

There doesn't seem to be any numbers on when a noble would come to a fortress, except possibly LAND_HOLDER. Only the appointed positions seem to have a tag for population requirements. Is it still hardcoded? Or part of the entity raws?

I know positions can be restricted to certain castes (but a vacancy might get filled during worldgen regardless). Would it be possible to create a general monarch caste that would be replaced by a restricted caste when such a caste can be filled? OK, clunky wording, so an example:
The dwarves have their normal kings and queens. I mod in Ancestral Dwarves, who are rare and unaging, and I want them, and only them, to be able to be emperors. The dwarves should have kings until an ancestral dwarf is capable of taking the emperor position. Would such a structure be currently possible?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11244 on: January 26, 2010, 01:41:57 pm »

What are the options for the RESPONSIBILITY tokens? Can we create positions that have specific labors assigned to them? For example, a Miner's Guildmaster who has room requirements and only the Mining skill allowed as a labor?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11245 on: January 26, 2010, 02:08:02 pm »

If you don't count the stuff you make with water, it's not exactly accessible or necessarily there, no, and certainly not safe to just pick away at when it is there.

I really like that quote, for some reason.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11246 on: January 26, 2010, 02:32:54 pm »

In the monarch entry...

?

No, it's plural, not possessive.  In a monarchy,  you will have a king and a queen.  Historically, the king almost always is the ruler, but not always.  The ruling monarch is the King/Queen Regnant.  The monarch who is the monarch by virtue of marriage is the King/Queen Consort.

As for pluralization issues, Consort here is basically an adjective, as it is specifying what kind of King/Queen.  When you pluralize a term, it's only the noun that gets the "s".  Green Apple becomes Green Apples (as opposed to Greens Apples or Greens Apple).  By the same rule, One Notary Public, two Notaries Public.  One King Consort, two Kings Consort.

I could have sworn the correct plural was actually "Princes Consort". After all, we Brits have Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip, not King Philip.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11247 on: January 26, 2010, 02:35:14 pm »

Are player powers of promotion hard-coded and not reflected in the raws?  I thought we were going to be able to appoint the baron, and I noticed the others we previously appointed (treasurer, manager, etc) are now appointed by the expedition leader/mayor...

Looking back at the dev log, it doesn't sound like you can appoint the baron exactly: "You can also pass up the barony entirely at the cost of forming trade agreements with the homeland ..."  So APPOINTED_BY isn't entirely what it looks like -- the player may still have a degree of control.

Looking through the entity raws, it seems that an entity could conceivably have multiple rulers, a la Roman consuls, or maybe a larger council? I suspect that would currently have unintended consequences, though.

"Ruler" is kind of ambiguous, which one did you mean?  All the ones I saw had NUMBER:1, not NUMBER:AS_NEEDED.

There doesn't seem to be any numbers on when a noble would come to a fortress, except possibly LAND_HOLDER. Only the appointed positions seem to have a tag for population requirements. Is it still hardcoded? Or part of the entity raws?

Yeah, LAND_HOLDER:# probably implies a population requirement.

I know positions can be restricted to certain castes (but a vacancy might get filled during worldgen regardless). Would it be possible to create a general monarch caste that would be replaced by a restricted caste when such a caste can be filled? OK, clunky wording, so an example:
The dwarves have their normal kings and queens. I mod in Ancestral Dwarves, who are rare and unaging, and I want them, and only them, to be able to be emperors. The dwarves should have kings until an ancestral dwarf is capable of taking the emperor position. Would such a structure be currently possible?

The only way I see to achieve this is with REPLACED_BY -- the regular monarch (normal castes only) gets replaced by the emperor (ancestral caste only).  As long as the positions have the same requirements (other than caste), I expect that the replacement will happen as soon as a suitable Ancestral Dwarf comes along.

What are the options for the RESPONSIBILITY tokens? Can we create positions that have specific labors assigned to them? For example, a Miner's Guildmaster who has room requirements and only the Mining skill allowed as a labor?

Responsibilities are distinct from labors, so if you could do this, it'd need another tag along the lines of PERMITTED_JOB.  I don't think it's possible.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 02:45:42 pm by Footkerchief »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11248 on: January 26, 2010, 02:37:08 pm »

Oh my god, living liquid basalt in an obsidian crust! Tasty :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11249 on: January 26, 2010, 02:41:25 pm »

I begin to wonder if Footkerchief has some sort of Q&A DB plus some Wolfram Alpha like script for the many questions here. Boy your answering speed is inhuman.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 1065