Yes :'(
- 201 (86.6%)
Nope! ;D
- 15 (6.5%)
What's HFS? :o
- 16 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 232

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Did you spoil HFS for yourself?  (Read 4576 times)

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Did you spoil HFS for yourself?
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 07:15:09 pm »

I'm currently lol'ing at the poll results  :P

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 07:28:47 pm »

Count me in on the "spoiled myself" tally.  It turns out I'd already known what HFS was from discussions on /tg/, but what prompted me to push past the "spoiler alert" in the DF wiki was someone mentioning the "Too Deep" game-ending effect. The last thing I wanted at the time was to end up losing a fort to a mysterious unknown game mechanic (I thought it meant something like "If you dig 100 spaces into the mountain, on the 101st space you instantly lose").
Derp.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 09:29:56 pm »

Dude, this is Dwarf Fortress. Losing is fun.

You know... There is a reason WHY "Losing is fun" is a joke...

Can  people stop quoting it if they will use it as the justification for everything?

It is a justification for everything. If we hadn't adopted this attitude I'm sure many of us would have gone mad. Losing is fun and we can thank armok for that.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 09:43:08 pm »

I wish I had spoiled it.  My first HFS was hit by overreaction to the rumors, and pummeling it with giant stone fists carved from the living earth above.

I wanted to play with the demons, but they was smoshed.

Though... considering I've never had a military greater than miners with some wrestling training anda single woodcutter with axe skills, and a bone crossbow with whatever bolts came in the first caravan, it was probably a good thing I didn't.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 09:44:02 pm »

If we hadn't adopted this attitude I'm sure many of us would have gone mad.

Ahh I have solved the mystery! people who have adopted "Losing is fun" have gone mad!

That is why they need to constantly mention it. Otherwise their world starts crashing in around them and they start delving deeper into madness.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 10:01:21 pm »

I'm not sure I could get any deeper. I've hit rock bottom.

I need a pick or something.

Archaeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Predator Angrinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 10:11:58 pm »

In future versions, I wouldn't actually mind HFS, or a sort of "spin off" of HFS to become prominent in the gameplay.

I mean, there's no real danger when digging around except for the rare "You found a cave/ Pit :D GCS NOW DIE!!"

So coming across pockets of say HFS would be nice...nothing an equipped fort couldn't handle...just saying...

CapnMikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 10:34:19 pm »

Sort of!  I read the spoiler, but was still shocked by the...scenery, and the speed with which it was all over.  I actually did stumble upon it randomly in the 3D version...with a Two Dwarf "challenge" I was doing (Hermit just seems mean :P).  Not sure whether that makes me really lucky or unlucky, but it's for sure hilariously improbable XD

PS - Hi!

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2009, 11:07:56 pm »

I wonder how many more people have spoiled this for themselves by reading this thread.....  ;D

I only just got back into DF from the 2D version, so I have no idea how it works these days. If it's anything like the 2D it's reason enough to avoid adamantine unless you want the challenge anyway.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 11:15:59 pm »

If we hadn't adopted this attitude I'm sure many of us would have gone mad.

Ahh I have solved the mystery! people who have adopted "Losing is fun" have gone mad!

That is why they need to constantly mention it. Otherwise their world starts crashing in around them and they start delving deeper into madness.

Why so serious? =)

To answer the question, I spoiled it for myself. I wanted to know what this "Hidden Fun Stuff" that I was hearing about was. I don't think spoiling it really detracted from the gameplay too much for me, if at all.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2009, 01:07:26 am »

Hello!

Speaking of the site finder, there is another aspect to this:

If you don't have such things revealed on embark screen and also don't use the finder, knowing about the existance of HFS can actually enhance the thrill of the game (especially if you are afraid of the HFS): Every time you start to dig in a location where it would technically be possible to find HFS, you will have to think about whether it is there or not. And the deeper you go, the greater the fear can become, until there is the deadly certainty ...

Anyhow, knowing about the possible existence of a feature does not prevent it from being a surprise. I just remembered a "nice" incident in one of my first 3D fortresses: I had been exploring bridges and 3D constructions especially for fortress defenses, but there was a design flaw concerning my front entrance defenses. So, I started digging around there (one level below surface) - and lost a miner as he fell into the chasm he had discovered right under my main main entrance (^_^;;

Knowing that there are chasms is one thing. Having one suddenly show up directly under your main entrance is a completely different matter. I have to admit that I lost interest in the fortress because of the loss of the miner and the difficulty of overcoming this situation, but it was interesting because of the shape it took.

Deathworks

I discovered a chasm like that once to. I dropped my wagon through the dining hall. Good times.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2009, 01:20:04 am »

I actually had no idea what the HFS was till I breached it... I forget exactly how I managed that but hey, 100,000,000,000 dwarves with 100,000,000,000 picks eventually strike adamantine someday.

Needless to say my dwarves were tentacle raped.

On the message board is an engraving of a dwarf and a tentacle demon, the tentacle demon is fondling the dwarf
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2009, 01:29:17 am »

Quote from: Masterful Engraving
&

What attention to detail! Marvelous!

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 03:04:48 am »

Is there a tag in the tentacle demon's raw that makes engravings say that? Because I can't find it.

Saurus33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2009, 03:17:11 am »

It just says, "performing a depraved act upon".

"This is an engraving of a tentacle demon and a dwarf. The demon is performing a depraved act upon the dwarf."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5