Author Topic: libDF  (Read 2246 times)

Zoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
libDF
« on: January 22, 2009, 04:22:34 am »

Toady,

Please just release libdwarffortress-1.0
Just get it over with once and for all and you never have to worry about graphics again.

All we need is a nice "df.h"
Let us get at all the map data with clarity and ease, and give us an a nice interface for modifications to the running map, and callbacks for the UI events.
Properly abstract away your graphics code so that we have a model view controller relationship with the library.
Let us program the Graphical frontend and draw it with any system we deem fit -- ascii, sprites, vector gfx, 3d, voxels, ... on whichever platforms or libraries we want, ogre3d, or ncurses, or cairo.
Let us program the UI menuing system in whichever way we want -- traditional sidebars and the Qt toolkit, or with custom radial pie menus, or with nested tree view menus.

You've seen the efforts people are putting in to render DF in 3d, and this kind of work should be a joy for them, not a hack job.

- Zoal

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: libDF
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 04:28:20 am »

How do you think this thread is going to end?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:57:18 pm by Footkerchief »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 05:11:48 am »

You've seen the efforts people are putting in to render DF in 3d, and this kind of work should be a joy for them, not a hack job.

To be fair if they modified the BC game to render in 3D then I don't see why it wouldn't be incorporated in the excellent work on the current graphical overall that is being done. This is far more likely than getting a libdf
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 05:43:30 am »

Toady,

Please just release libdwarffortress-1.0
Just get it over with once and for all and you never have to worry about graphics again.

All we need is a nice "df.h"
Let us get at all the map data with clarity and ease, and give us an a nice interface for modifications to the running map, and callbacks for the UI events.
Properly abstract away your graphics code so that we have a model view controller relationship with the library.
Let us program the Graphical frontend and draw it with any system we deem fit -- ascii, sprites, vector gfx, 3d, voxels, ... on whichever platforms or libraries we want, ogre3d, or ncurses, or cairo.
Let us program the UI menuing system in whichever way we want -- traditional sidebars and the Qt toolkit, or with custom radial pie menus, or with nested tree view menus.

- Zoal

I curious, do people actually think that attempts like this will be taken seriously in any way? Do they stop and actually thing about things like this? Does the simple, single thought of "Hey, this must be a popular request, maybe I should do a search to see if Toady has made his views on the subject clear before?"

And, as always, as is obligatory in threads like this:
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 12:52:18 pm »

The fail is strong in this one.  Yeah, look at the other threads linked in here...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 02:15:00 pm »

How do you think this thread is going to end?

poorly ;)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 02:27:46 pm »

Zoal is probably aware of the other threads and has started a graphics thread before.  I'm locking this.  I don't mind the discussion, although we've had it a few times, but clearly this isn't shaping up to be a discussion.  I would appreciate it if the people responding to threads like this would be more polite.  A simple reply (see Footkerchief's) would be enough.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!