Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Recreational Drugs  (Read 31376 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Recreational Drugs
« on: January 22, 2009, 08:39:52 pm »

supaar OLD
Well, I must say that I myself would debate the inclusion of them, I just find it would be a horribly laughable experience to have the message:

Urist cancels haul item: Tripping Ballz

I would suggest that non-earth dugs be used, just to keep the dwarven universe dwarven.

Also, dwarves don't get drunk, but because of their different lung capacity/structure they should be affected moreso by inhaled substances.

I.E.
Certain tree's can have their roots stripped and crushed to create a potent hallucinogenic formula for your dwarves.

And all the basic give your alchemist a job, make your philosopher even more useless, distract your nobles, would be nice too.

Taking a similar substance to lsd, or eating some obscure wild mushrooms in Adventure mode could cause screen-warping affects, modify your combat chances, and turn everything rainbow.

Maybe lose social standing (if it gets put in) for becoming inebrated in public? Some cultures allow it/others forbid?

Elves would be tripping out 24/7, humans would occasionally smoke, and golbins/kobolds would brew potions and have crazed sex-parties on the eve of the siege.

Just to add flavor/laughable experiences to the game.

I am not promoting/attacking drug use, so don't argue about it.

:Edit:

I have decided to summarize the ideas presented in this surprisingly alive and kicking thread.

-Fantasy Substances

-No real world drugs
  (I would suppose that alcohol breaks this, but I figure finding a *blunt* underneath your haulers bed would be immersion breaking)

Sources-

-Area specific drugs
-Herbalism skill to harvest from flora
-Alchemist or Fish/Small animal dissector for animals
-Some plants contain chems for drug making
-Also animals (toads, insects)
-Other flora (roots, bark)
-Gases found in earth/created from found substance (ohgodjenkem)

Effects-

-Spiritual Uses (tribal ceremonies)
-Certain types do certain things;
    Opiates
    Stimulants
    Dissociatives
    Deleriants
    Others
-Causes different mood changes in users
-Happy/sad/scared (most likely requiring filled-out emotion)
-Different dwarfs are affected differently; It's a gamble to let your dwarfs have access
-Confusion/madness/death
-Overdose possible
-Different races tolerant/intolerant against certain types (Dwarfs = Alcohol tolerant for example)
-Hallucinations that actually change gameworld for the dwarf (HOLY FUCK IM TRIPPING BALLZ THERE ARE SKELETAL DEMONS EVERYWHERE)
-Above present in adventure mode; Extra fun.
-Social standings in society; Addiction causes standing to decrease/people to hate you
-Addiction leads to uselessness; possible recovery through treatment
(lol AA for dwarves  ::) )
-Basic brain injuries/infectious delirium can cause drug-like affects.

Uses:

-Traps
-Underground Diversity
-Alchemist has a use
-By feeding to nobles causes happy/sad/suicidal thoughts
-General population control
-Emergency anti-spiral effects (YAYZERZ EXTACSY I HAPPY ABOUT DEATH LOLOLOLOOL)
-Give to philosopher for better progress?

General (stuff from thread I'm too lazy to interpret)

-Mixing the stuff together would cause problems. . .Or awesomeness
-Fake, deadly drugs - Higher herbalist prevents misinformation
-Drug paraphernalia (pipes, hookahs, incense, potions)
-Tripping rooms (either for quite meditation or mind-blowing visuals cause by trippy statues)
-Medication (anesthesia)
-Drug politics-gangs, dealers, questionable legality
-Religion practices
-Hippies (ohwaitelves)
-Energy boost for soldiers
-Caffeine
-Drug warfare - addict enemy civilians

Let's discuss something new-

*SOMETHING NEW ITS LATE I HAVE NO IDEAS*

I'm too lazy to see if I've begun to repeat myself in this list, but there you go.

Any more ideas? 

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:27:06 am by Salmeuk »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recreational Drugs
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 08:41:49 pm »

What about licking Vermin and pets as a recreational drug?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 08:53:10 pm »

Kogan Hippieherder cancels haul stone: FREAKIN' OUT MAAAAN!

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 09:06:39 pm »

Stamping out drug use could be a new challenge, for the player motivated by Fraggleroot smokers (or whatever) getting less work done, becasue of all the smoke breaks and whatnot.

"Legendary McWeaponsmith cancels forge steel battle axe: Getting a Fix"

It might however, be to the savvy players advantage to keep the nobles doped up. Maybe they could be too high to worry about making more impossible demands.

Produce drugs, but in such a limited quantity that only the snootiest nobles can buy them?
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 09:12:00 pm »

Did people in medieval times EVEN HAVE recreational drugs, I thought they were always too busy getting ruled over by fancy guys in castles and contracting the plague.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 09:33:55 pm »

Did they have drugs he asks XD. Yes they had thought they were mostly plants like Datura, Brugmansia, fly agaric, Hemp, Anamirta cocculus, hojas de la pastora, Opium Poppys, almost any nightshade plant and so on.

Bufo marinus is maybe the most prominent drug-animal i know.

Drug use was in history not so common like today but it was common enought and got enought times not treated harder then being drunk. (there are enought exceptions thought on certain drugs)
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 09:43:32 pm »

Drugs should be a booze substitute, and a recreation like you said, hookah parties?

Only eight on one hookah, desired weeds, flavoring for the removable nozzles, and some food and drinks, there can be portable apparati for those dwarves in the need of a high, on site.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 09:44:38 pm »

Drugs should be a booze substitute, and a recreation like you said, hookah parties?

Only eight on one hookah, desired weeds, flavoring for the nozzle, and some food and drinks, there can be portable apparati for those dwarves in the need of a high, on site.

Alcohol is kinda of a biological need for Dwarves...

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 09:48:11 pm »

Only eight on one hookah, desired weeds, flavoring for the nozzle, and some food and drinks, there can be portable apparati for those dwarves in the need of a high, on site.

Alcohol is kinda of a biological need for Dwarves...
How about you fill the water bowl with a type of condensed mead?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:52:19 pm by Foa »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 09:56:38 pm »

Baron Nobleman McSnootypants has issued a mandate : 3/3 Bluntz
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 10:05:13 pm »

I'm all for this. And it looks like we may be getting neurotoxins in the next update, so licking toads is getting closer to reality.

One idea that struck me was having psychadelically active Toadmen in the game, with the Wrestling skill. I wonder if poison transmission through the skin will be happening and/or moddable?
For they would be your masters.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 10:19:29 pm »

from toadys update list:

• Venom raw definitions and structures
  • Inhaled poisons
  • Contact poisons
  • Injected poisons

So we can have injected drugs, licking toads, and even Katholic extreme inscenting.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 10:39:51 pm »

Your dwarves are stupid. As such, they might not KNOW that Black Death Mushrooms (which carry a deadly hemotoxin) are lethal, and are happy to munch on them should an herbalist bring one back, or cook it into a stack of 25 Dwarven Flour roast. You, as the player, would have to be on the lookout for these, and learn about it quickly, ere dwarves started dying left and right.

Apply the same principle to Freak-Out 'Shrooms and it becomes workable. You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 10:48:06 pm »

I feel like a kid in a candy store, if the candy made you high.

I hope traps get a revamp soon, because I so want to design fiendish death-machines and psychadelic insanity-inducing labyrinths, where one side makes you larger, and the other side makes you small.
For they would be your masters.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 10:45:46 am »

Baron Nobleman McSnootypants has issued a mandate : 3/3 Bluntz

That's actually a good system.  Drugs are easy to create, so making them and getting your nobles addicted is a good way to reduce impossible mandates but also reducing the efficiency of your fort...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14