Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma flows/rivers  (Read 1648 times)

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Magma flows/rivers
« on: January 05, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

Will we ever see the return of magma flows/rivers? I miss them. Only deep in active volcanoes?

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma flows/rivers
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 05:09:00 pm »

Anything beyond all these magma vents all over the place would be nice...
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »

Seconded.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

veryinky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 12:48:00 am »

Considering how volcanically active the world is in the game, how about making underground lakes and rivers of magma using the volcanoes as the sources, radiating outwards. 15 square wide magma rivers down to 2 or 3 square magma streams. All at the lowest reachable elevation.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:38:05 pm by penguinofhonor »

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »

What really needs to be done before this happens is to allow magma to flow upwards under special conditions; that way a vent is able to feed the stream of lava several z-levels above without drying up.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 06:42:00 pm »

I'd say that magma can't flow upward through a 1-wide space, but anything larger it can. And that therefore vents would slowly refill back up to 7/7, but your channel to your forges won't overflow.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

Should the vents overflow as soon as you enter the area, much like the lakes boil away instantly in warmer climates? Dodging random lava flows would be an interesting way of paying for the convenience of surface lava...
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 06:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>Should the vents overflow as soon as you enter the area, much like the lakes boil away instantly in warmer climates? Dodging random lava flows would be an interesting way of paying for the convenience of surface lava...</STRONG>

Not as soon as you enter the area, but I seem to recall volcanic eruptions as random events were on the menu for future versions...

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.