Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 72

Author Topic: The Roguelike Development Megathread  (Read 238826 times)

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Roguelike Development Megathread
« Reply #1020 on: August 20, 2014, 10:14:59 am »

This still leaves lines that go across the whole map. Unlikely, but then again one hopes ones game is played very often, so that excuse doesn't really count.

Nice observation either way.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: August 20, 2014, 11:15:48 am »

Timberwolves is actually a really good idea, and something I could easily see myself using. The original idea was to use those haunted tree things from the S1 opener that Pinkie laughs at, but Timberwolves would definitely work.

Something I'm considering/have decided on is to have the difficulty level increase as the player goes deeper into the forest (because that works thematically, it matches expectations, it stops the forest from being one homogeneous blob, and it creates a super-straightforward early goal - go deeper). So I might use the haunted trees for the outer reaches, then the timberwolf idea for the inner portions. Hmm... Definitely something to think about.

The node-based maze is definitely something to consider, too. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

What you could also do is everytime you place a tree, check to see if it forms an L shape out of 3 trees. If it does then don't place the tree. and assuming you can move diagonally, that shouldn't block any paths

Code: (Check for these (T=tree)) [Select]
.T.
.TT

.TT
.T.

TT.
.T.

.T.
TT.

This one I'm not the biggest fan of. I'm worried that removing all those L shapes is going to limit what type of layouts can appear way too much - it's basically saying "I only want lines of trees in the x or y direction, possibly with spaces between them, and one line going in the x direction can never meet with a line going in the y direction".
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: August 22, 2014, 12:28:48 pm »

I decided to get started on a DF-like space empire game I've been dreaming about for a long time. I got something basic going as a Windows console app in Visual Studio C# and then decided to start using one of the roguelike graphics libraries (like libtcod, etc.). Then I hit a wall. The trouble is that Google is full of links to info and projects that are completely out of date (for example, libtcod abandoned C# years ago, but it was very difficult to find this information). What is the most current, 2014-era roguelike library for c# that I should be looking at? No projects that were abandoned in 2010, please! :D

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: August 22, 2014, 09:15:06 pm »

I don't actually use C#, so I don't have any idea how helpful this will be, but a quick google led me to the Rogue Basic page:

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=C_Sharp

Have you checked out the libraries it links to? Nothing else really stood out to me in a google search, and Rogue Basin is usually pretty good about these kinds of things.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: August 23, 2014, 04:48:50 am »

I decided to get started on a DF-like space empire game I've been dreaming about for a long time. I got something basic going as a Windows console app in Visual Studio C# and then decided to start using one of the roguelike graphics libraries (like libtcod, etc.). Then I hit a wall. The trouble is that Google is full of links to info and projects that are completely out of date (for example, libtcod abandoned C# years ago, but it was very difficult to find this information). What is the most current, 2014-era roguelike library for c# that I should be looking at? No projects that were abandoned in 2010, please! :D

Any reason why you must use C#? As always, I recommend python for this kinda thing, as there's a lot of current games using it (just look at the insanely amazing URR) and a lot of documentation for it. I doubt there will be many 2014-era RL libraries around for any language really though, they're not something that comes up often.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: August 24, 2014, 08:34:41 am »

I don't actually use C#, so I don't have any idea how helpful this will be, but a quick google led me to the Rogue Basic page:

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=C_Sharp

Have you checked out the libraries it links to? Nothing else really stood out to me in a google search, and Rogue Basin is usually pretty good about these kinds of things.

Thanks. Unfortunately, a lot of that information leads to dead ends.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: August 24, 2014, 06:11:53 pm »

I'm going to second python, its easy and fast to write in.  The big weakness of Python, which is that it runs much slower than other languages, is mostly irrelevant for RLs.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Symbiode

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms = bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: August 25, 2014, 03:11:33 pm »

I had the same issue when I started on a project to get libtcod working with C#, but I did get it working. I'll figure out what I found tonight and help get you started. I'm usually around on google chat at (my forum name @gmail.com) too, if we want to do something more real-time.

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: August 25, 2014, 05:15:38 pm »

I had the same issue when I started on a project to get libtcod working with C#, but I did get it working. I'll figure out what I found tonight and help get you started. I'm usually around on google chat at (my forum name @gmail.com) too, if we want to do something more real-time.

Thank you, but I ended up deciding to use XNA/Monogame. It seems pretty straightforward to leverage XNA to do the same things you would use libtcod for. I could be wrong but at least I'll find out.  :o

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: August 25, 2014, 07:21:16 pm »

I thought XNA was dead?
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1030 on: August 25, 2014, 07:50:47 pm »

The horse might be dead, but you can still beat it.

Anyway, I'm using Python+libtcod for my own project. Everything is super easy and fairly simple. It runs slowly, but that's because of my terribly unoptimised algorithms rather than the interpreter.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: August 26, 2014, 01:53:32 am »

http://www.monogame.net/ is the inofficial successor.

And btw....there is a cool ascii/curses library for monogame available, it has also windows, controls and that stuff: http://sadconsole.sadlogic.com/index.php/Screenshots
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: August 26, 2014, 09:26:22 am »

And btw....there is a cool ascii/curses library for monogame available, it has also windows, controls and that stuff: http://sadconsole.sadlogic.com/index.php/Screenshots

Very useful and that pretty much solves all my problems. Thanks! :)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: September 02, 2014, 03:15:59 pm »

Project management question: how does everyone manage their code versioning (and general development movement)?  I'm still at the very, very basic "just keep working on the same files and back them up every so often" stage, but I'm curious as to whether people have more developed (and more capable) methods of working.  Manual backups?  Scripted backups?  Git?  Other check-in/check-out setups?
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: September 02, 2014, 03:23:55 pm »

Project management question: how does everyone manage their code versioning (and general development movement)?  I'm still at the very, very basic "just keep working on the same files and back them up every so often" stage, but I'm curious as to whether people have more developed (and more capable) methods of working.  Manual backups?  Scripted backups?  Git?  Other check-in/check-out setups?

I use bitbucket (with a git backend). Same benefits as github, but the payment scheme works out differently - most notably, that private repositories are free (which I like - if solely for in-dev code), and that you need to pay once you pass 5 direct developers on the same repository (which is a non-issue if you plan to be the sole dev).
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 72