Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 72

Author Topic: The Roguelike Development Megathread  (Read 239737 times)

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Roguelike Development Megathread
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 09:44:13 pm »

Arg, I must do this, if only to finally to learn how to make a roguelike. I guess I'll go with C++, classes will probably make my journey easier, but it's going to be the header files that I'm just slightly worried about.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 09:45:02 pm »

The Ascii Dungeon tutorial is incomplete! :'( The writing in that was awesome. I wish I could have read more. He made it interesting.

I guess it's time for me to download some source and begin deciphering. I've had classes in Ada for the past year, so it shouldn't be extremely difficult.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 09:54:39 pm »

Me and Keiseth have been working on a Roguelike for about 6 months now. It's been on and off in terms of actual work and progress (School does not agree with my coding schedule...) The rougelike will feature things never before seen in rougelikes and most RPG's. I'm very excited to see the results. We need an artist, if anyone is interested... No immediate work, hell, graphics are the last things I'm worried about.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 10:03:33 pm »

The Ascii Dungeon tutorial is incomplete! :'(

:'(
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 08:46:29 am »

For Libraries, theres also Haaf's Game Engine. No personal experience, but browsing it, it seems to look great. Also, Vactor linked me this EXCELLENT 2d XNA tutorial. The site also has other tutorials, great stuff.
http://www.riemers.net/eng/Tutorials/XNA/Csharp/series2d.php

Also, you never mentioned construct to me! Python based DirectX game developing utility with shaders and physics? Hell Yes!

You might want to put in some warnings also. Like SDL, graphically, is good for roguelike graphics, but anything more complex than a simple sprite will have issues due to lack of HW acceleration.
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 02:31:18 pm »

We're largely novices at a lot of aspects of game development.  So the 7 Day Roguelike challenge is kind of out for a lot of us.  Would anyone care if I made a thread for a One Month Roguelike Challenge, use whatever engine you want, but all the content, combat system, data, worldbuilding stuff has to be handmade yourself?

(I'm still trying to figure out if a DF-mode game with hex graphics counts as a roguelike...)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 02:42:06 pm »

Quote from: Wikipedia
The roguelike genre of computer games is characterized by randomization for replayability, permanent death, ASCII graphics, and turn-based movement.

I got a pre-made text-based game engine that can be used to create 'commerical games'. I can implement randomanization, permanent death, and turn-based movements. But ASCII graphics? No way, I can't make graphics at all, only text.

If somebody can help create ASCII graphics, then I can play in the one-month roguelike challenge. But I would prefer not having ASCII graphics at all.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 02:51:26 pm »

If you can make text, you can make ascii "graphics".

%E

Theres an elf eating a dwarf meat biscuit, made from finely minced dwarf meat and finely minced elf meat. Just need a font that has equally sized letters and have the display set properly.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 02:54:58 pm »

Just need a font that has equally sized letters and have the display set properly.
You don't have to worry about fixed-width fonts if you're running a game in the console. The console is measured in characters instead of pixels.

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 03:35:05 pm »

I just read through that C++ tutorial. It is indeed extremely useful, although it is too bad it is incomplete. However, for those who care to see it, this page explains most of the functions that C++ can do, aside from graphics, but said incomplete roguelike tutorial gives you all you need for that part. Hope it helps! I know it has helped me out ;)
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 03:50:35 pm »

Speaking as a professional C++ programmer, the Terror in ASCII Dungeon tutorial mentioned in the first post is really one of the best C++ tutorials I've seen, ever.  If you don't know C++, try it!  It's just sometimes a little hard to find the next link to the next part sometimes.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 06:35:14 pm »

I did run across a simple roguelike developed in Ruby, but it seems the programmer kind of gave up on it. The source code remains out there somewhere though, and it remains a fine proof of concept of what is possible in Ruby.

Yeah, I did a bit of Googling and found what I think you're talking about, and added it to the Ruby section. I haven't downloaded the source yet, so I'll do that later on and see if there's anything there worth using.

Quote from: Fualkner
Me and Keiseth have been working on a Roguelike for about 6 months now. It's been on and off in terms of actual work and progress (School does not agree with my coding schedule...) The rougelike will feature things never before seen in rougelikes and most RPG's. I'm very excited to see the results. We need an artist, if anyone is interested... No immediate work, hell, graphics are the last things I'm worried about.

Sounds interesting! I'm sure that someone on the forum will be able to help with the graphics, and if not, feel free to post up some teasers for the rest of us to ooh and aah about.

Quote from: Everyone
The Ascii Dungeon tutorial is incomplete!  :'(

I know, sucks, huh? But at least what's there is still very, very good. I believe the author still intends to finish it one day, but for now it's a great introduction to the basics and enough to wet your appetite. Remember to read all the replies to the tutorials, too, as often they'll throw up solutions to common problems you might encounter.

Quote from: Sowelu
We're largely novices at a lot of aspects of game development.  So the 7 Day Roguelike challenge is kind of out for a lot of us.  Would anyone care if I made a thread for a One Month Roguelike Challenge, use whatever engine you want, but all the content, combat system, data, worldbuilding stuff has to be handmade yourself?

Of course not! One of my secret goals for this thread is that it would motivate enough people (and provide them with enough skills) to participate in a Bay12Games Roguelike Competition of some sort. I'd say a month is the perfect amount of time to do something in - how is March or April for everyone?
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 07:01:18 pm »

I would be happt to participate in such an event.
I already have the framework for opengl colored tile rendering, and once starteed a roguelike with it...
Eh?
Eh!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 07:11:24 pm »

What luck! By March or April, my grasp of C++ may be enough to create a 7DRL in a month.

That's an attempt at humor. I'm hoping that if it does take me a month, it would be somewhat better than a 7DRL.

No chance on me giving up this time, unless I want to fail one of my required courses.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009, 07:42:01 pm »

You might want to put in some warnings also. Like SDL, graphically, is good for roguelike graphics, but anything more complex than a simple sprite will have issues due to lack of HW acceleration.

If SDL isn't supporting hardware accel on your box, nothing else will either - that has to be a graphics driver problem. I'm completely positive on this - I've written a 3d engine using SDL as a window/input management backend. Here's the code that it uses to setup the window with hardware acceleration:

Code: [Select]
        SDL_Surface *screen = &gd->localClient->sdl.surface;

// easy referencing variables
        t_clientprefs * cp = &localClient->prefs;
        int videoflags = SDL_ASYNCBLIT | SDL_OPENGL | SDL_OPENGLBLIT | SDL_HWSURFACE | SDL_HWACCEL | SDL_RESIZABLE;

screen = SDL_SetVideoMode(cp->r_dispWidth, cp->r_dispHeight, cp->r_dispBPP, videoflags);
        if ( screen == NULL )
        {
                fprintf(stderr, "Unable to set requested resolution: %s\n", SDL_GetError());
                exit(1);
        }

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 72