Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A way to change the different attributes of procedurally created beasts  (Read 854 times)

Frango Nicolbidok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Peasant
    • View Profile

For a while, I've been trying to find an easy way to change the attributes of beasts (like forgotten beasts), which are procedurally generated and therefore have no real easy way of altering, so I was thinking that we could have a way to change how they're generated when the world generates in the raws or something like that. Might just be me, but I think it'd be cool just to have the ability to change.
However, now I wanted some more challenge and embarked to evil biome.
"Terrifying screams come from above!"

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: A way to change the different attributes of procedurally created beasts
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 05:40:33 pm »

It would be nice, yes.  In general, anything that is hard coded would be better off in the raws somewhere if at all possible.  I have no doubt that Toady plans to allow this at some point, although it would probably be kind of tricky to allow modding of it.

In the meantime, I think you can kind of hack this by using uncompressed saves and modifying the values yourself after a FB is generated.  At least I've heard that people were able to snoop the raws of some procedural creatures this way.  Hardly a solution and very tedious, though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Frango Nicolbidok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Peasant
    • View Profile
Re: A way to change the different attributes of procedurally created beasts
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 05:48:47 pm »

In the meantime, I think you can kind of hack this by using uncompressed saves and modifying the values yourself after a FB is generated.  At least I've heard that people were able to snoop the raws of some procedural creatures this way.  Hardly a solution and very tedious, though.

I tried this (and tried multiple ways) :( Didn't work very well, it makes the save file corrupted and then crashes Dwarf Fortress.
However, now I wanted some more challenge and embarked to evil biome.
"Terrifying screams come from above!"