Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Depth by darkening  (Read 13336 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Depth by darkening
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 07:51:52 pm »

With the darkening, I think you could do it if you made the first layer below be significantly more dark than every other iteration (ie. 40% darker, then only 15% darker for every other layer rather than just 15% for all of them).

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 05:01:23 pm »

Another advantage might be to make it possible to designate trees for cutting on a hillside more easily.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 05:43:49 pm »

Any tests with this right now should use lots of weirdly-colored and diverse tiles, in order to examine how, say, depth-by-darkening or depth-by-fog would interact with having hillsides made out of eighty different materials, trees, etc.

Also, just throwing an idea out there, not sure if it would work: Throwing an actual textured effect layer on top of the lower levels, instead of just a simple darken/blend. I have no idea if this would work out well, but it would definitely provide enough distinction between levels. Even some kind of slightly animated fog or something, although DF isn't really much into animation at all at the moment.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 10:00:05 pm »

Another advantage might be to make it possible to designate trees for cutting on a hillside more easily.
I don't really like the idea, but this is a valid concern.

Wouldn't it be better to make trees really tall and selectable from any level?

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 12:15:41 am »

I think a more grid approach would work best.

ex.       FNM    (current level)        #NM  (next level below where # is black)
           NCH                                 NCH
           VCX                                  VCX

#NM   (two levels below)   #NM  (third level below ect.)
           NC#                                 NC#
           VCX                                  #CX

These blacked out tiles could be either whole tiles or single pixels. The single pixels would work great but not if you like using a 6x6 tileset. In this case you'd probably want the whole tile approach. This way creates it's own visual effect on the eyes by dithering (alternate two colors to produce a third). You could use black for lower levels and white for higher levels (vice verse if your eyes are wired different then mine). Of course the tile/pixel and colors for lower/higher levels could be init options.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 01:15:54 am »

With the darkening, I think you could do it if you made the first layer below be significantly more dark than every other iteration (ie. 40% darker, then only 15% darker for every other layer rather than just 15% for all of them).
This sounds good. I want to see a mockup of this. ACE91's darkening mockup looks brilliant, but I want to see how it would work with multiple colors and I think that making the current level significantly brighter than the next one down would help a lot.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 01:17:28 am »

This sounds good. I want to see a mockup of this. ACE91's darkening mockup looks brilliant, but I want to see how it would work with multiple colors and I think that making the current level significantly brighter than the next one down would help a lot.

I'd do one, but grabbing the bitmaps and cutting out the unwanted part is a b*tch.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 01:38:50 am »

I'd do one, but grabbing the bitmaps and cutting out the unwanted part is a b*tch.

It really is.  I was going to do one in Gimp by turning all the sky-colored areas into a transparent alpha layer, which is easy, but ironically the game's current approximation of a depth effect messes it up -- you can't turn the black background into an alpha layer, because pretty much everything has a black background.

If there was a way to make the "dot" tile the game uses for Z-minus-1 tiles into a solid block of a fixed color...

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 05:42:07 am »

ACE91's examples are fantastic. DO WANT :)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 07:00:13 am »

I like this idea, so I did a little GIMP magic and created examples for both the depth-by-darkening effect, and the depth-by-fog effect that a previous poster mentioned. I use a fairly large tileset, so the images are pretty big.

Depth by darkening:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Depth by fog:

Nice, thanks for making those.

The darkened one looks really good -- I'd definitely use that.

Agreed.  :)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 07:16:00 am »

I don't really like the idea, but this is a valid concern.

Wouldn't it be better to make trees really tall and selectable from any level?

I'm looking forward to non-bonsai trees, too. Selecting at any level would work as well, as soon as that is implemented. Especially since one wants to cut down mature trees, not saplings.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 11:58:47 am »

I'm looking forward to non-bonsai trees, too. Selecting at any level would work as well, as soon as that is implemented. Especially since one wants to cut down mature trees, not saplings.

Last I checked you can't designate a sapling for cutting.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2009, 12:09:57 pm »

As a figure of speech, of course. Real trees at dwarf height aren't much more than saplings, unless they're bonsais.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2009, 12:44:31 pm »

I like this idea, so I did a little GIMP magic and created examples for both the depth-by-darkening effect, and the depth-by-fog effect that a previous poster mentioned. I use a fairly large tileset, so the images are pretty big.

Depth by darkening:

Depth by fog:

Nice, thanks for making those.

The darkened one looks really good -- I'd definitely use that.

The fogged one looks weird, but mostly because it looks like the hillside is covered with smoke -- I think the fog is too light gray.

The reason the fog looks weird is because ACE91 selected an unfortunate landscape to showcase. Against black background atmospheric fogging would create increasingly gray zones, but it would look much more natural against a green landscape.

When viewing from above you wouldn't visibly get blue-tinted fog because it takes much longer distances of atmospheric refraction to achieve that effect. Though it would probably look prettier with a gentle blueness to the fog colour.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 03:31:32 am »

Bump because I thought of an alternative method -- blur.  Rather than fog or darken tiles on lower z-levels (or in addition to doing so), you could add a slight blur effect, kind of like a poor man's depth-of-field.  This would certainly help the top level stand out.  I think it could look pretty cool.

Obviously performance would be a concern, but I found this Gamasutra article on fast blurring algorithms for games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4