Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Depth by darkening  (Read 13323 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Depth by darkening
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 03:34:55 am »

I'm not sure how well blurring tiles at such low resolutions (8x8 - 16x16, usually?) would be.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 03:53:04 am »

I'm not sure how well blurring tiles at such low resolutions (8x8 - 16x16, usually?) would be.

You wouldn't be blurring individual tiles -- it would probably look fine, but I think it would entail a lot of unnecessary overhead.  Rather you'd run the blur on entire Z-slices at once, going from the highest Z-slice to the lowest so that you can continuously update an "occlusion grid" to avoid drawing tiles that'll be invisible anyway (the game probably does that part already).

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 10:24:18 pm »

The maps archive shows lower levels in much the same way as you're all proposing.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 10:53:10 pm »

The maps archive shows lower levels in much the same way as you're all proposing.

It does?  Is there a special option you have to activate or something?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 12:47:10 am »

I've only had it do it on occasion, and it only shows maybe two extra levels (provided you have already loaded those images by having them up top).

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2009, 01:49:22 am »

I think this idea is really cool, and even though it doesn't look as good, I think that the fog one would work better if it was a different color of fog, because it is possible with the 'darkening' thing that I could confuse a light stone on a lower level with a dark stone on my level. Just a thought here, but could you combine the two? As in have the first level down have the fog effect, that way we can easily tell what is on this level, and then just have each level below it get darker but have the same fog density? Either way, I think this needs to be added to the eternal voting.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2009, 04:45:27 am »

Done, under the name: "Depth by darkening / misting / blurring"
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2009, 01:15:37 pm »

Bump because I just noticed that Toady commented on this a LONG time ago, around the time of the first 3D release:

Quote from: RPB
The transition to seeing "sky" only two levels up still seems a bit grating. Any chance of getting some intermediate levels of visibility gradient, at least for the shape of terrain (representing objects and critters at lower levels would be too problematic, so might as well skip it)? Like maybe have floors two floors down show up as plain black, and/or use a gradient of sky-ish blocks, going from black space with thin bluish lines through several progressively heavier levels of "skyishness" until you reach the current aqua-colored space with thin black lines?
Quote from: Toady One
I guess I can try the gradated skies out.  It would involve some extra depth calculations, but that shouldn't be so bad.  There's also the issue of subterranean "skies".  Right now it just uses '#' instead of the sky character.  There are fewer options here, because if it's fading to gray or something, it can be confused with a wall.

Whoa, they even had mockups then too!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 01:22:58 pm by Footkerchief »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2009, 02:46:27 pm »

The second, it is... so... beautiful...
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2009, 02:58:21 pm »

OK, at Footkerchief's suggestion(and link-in), I've read through here, and will be adding a post I made elsewhere in the forum to the pile.

I, too, like Ace91's mockups, particularly the Depth by Darkening one.  My idea was to use a slightly different approach, though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In short, depth by scaling.  I was at first inspired by the way that the DFMA makes the next layer down slightly visible, as well as some playing around in 3Dwarf with a camera pointing straight down and a level slice in a map where I'd built a bridge across the top of a bottomless pit(for the visual appeal i'd anticipated in 3Dwarf.  It didn't disappoint)

Through a great deal of thought, I've crafted my suggestion to fit the following requirements.

1: It must be possible to add this hypothetical feature with a minimum of slowdown and, especially, a minimum of development time.  This was my number 1 priority, as making it simpler to implement both improves the chances that Toady will actually do it, AND reduces the amount of delay which would be added to overall development if he did decide to.  I feel that especially with the new graphics system, this is now a very real possibility.

2: It must be as compatable as possible with present tile and graphics sets.  As my suggestion stands, this is absolutely the case, with only the "down a level" graphics being replaced with an invisible square.

3: It must improve the visual effect as much as feasable while adding as little confusing information as possible.  This is why I specifically chose scaling.  As tested in 3Dwarf, it looks really good, and it adds less confusion than simply changing the colors.(an engraving of a tree in Olivine doesn't look like a tree that's two levels down from the current view, for example)  I believe that using scale as the visual depth cue is extremely effective, as it's one of the real-world visual cues we use.

4: It must attempt to compress as much useful information into view as possible, without making it confusing while doing so.

I'll see if I can make mockups later.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2009, 03:45:11 pm »

The scaling idea has one small hang-up -- it requires you to display the sides of tiles in some fashion.  If you don't, the display of the stacked layers will have odd, ugly gaps in situations like this:

Code: [Select]
_
 |_

because viewed from above with scaling, the right edge of the top floor no longer has the same xy position as the left edge of the bottom floor.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 03:47:59 pm by Footkerchief »

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2009, 04:04:39 pm »

That has been bugging me, but I'll see how it turns out in the mockups.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2009, 12:45:59 am »

Scaling tiles by 90% from the middle would not require any visuals on the walls, because the tiles would overlap:

"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2009, 12:52:52 am »

It works for interior wells (single vanishing point) but not exteriors, such as mountain faces.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2009, 01:18:52 am »

That's what it should look like when you dig out each level, leaving the floors intact.  The gaps make sense in that case.  However, when you haven't dug out a level, the WALL tiles will still overlap and it'll look like there's a gap between them.

One possibility is for the engine to fill those gaps with quadrilaterals to represent the faces of the wall.  I added some of these quads, plus some "mineral clusters" in the bottom to show how different walls and floors look (it's harder to see in grayscale).

Walls are always 4-sided in DF, but from this perspective, only two sides of a given wall will face "toward" the viewpoint.  So at most you're drawing two extra quads in addition to the tile.

This approach would suffice for rough walls, I think, but constructed walls would present some different problems -- many tilesets, including the default tileset, give walls the appearance of not completely filling their tile, which is a nice effect.  Bringing that effect into pseudo-3D could be difficult.  I'll have to think about it.

Thank you VERY much for making that mockup, by the way.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:33:23 am by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4