Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragon Vs Dragon  (Read 1179 times)

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dragon Vs Dragon
« on: January 23, 2009, 10:00:22 pm »

Much to my dismay, my recent attempts at an above-ground fortress/below-ground goblin labyrinth/maze were largely unsuccessful.  I did, however, learn a few things.  Maybe they're already known to the community at large, but I thought I'd share anyway.

1) Goblins do not path well in an underground maze.  I was working simultaneously on four quadrants beneath the tower my dwarves were inhabiting.  I grew impatient waiting for them to be finished and sealed off the one nearest to completion and designated my first of what I planned to be many goblins for hauling to the maze.  The first stage in this quadrant was a spiral tunnel with a downward staircase at the end.  The confused little goblin never even got close to the stairs.  He made one turn around the spiral and then never again left the northwest corner of it until I unsealed the quadrant and sent in my military.  I then repeated the experiment after knocking down a few walls and the next "volunteer" in the experiment similarly refused to run the maze.

2)  Zombie Dragons can breathe fire too!

3)  Dragons and Zombie Dragons do not get along.  After watching my formerly caged dragon tear up a squad of formerly caged goblins, I decided to test its mettle against his undead counterpart.  I put their cages up in the arena, hooked them up to a lever, and was most unimpressed with the results.  The two dragons watched each other warily from opposite ends of the arena before closing, uselessly breathing fire at each other, and "gettin' it on" as the kids say these days.  The normal dragon emerged victorious with only a broken tail, and was re-caged after being allowed to savor his victory.

4)  Execution towers are entertaining, and my next fortress will feature a death shaft in the center of my fortress somehow.

Please forgive any undue length of this post.