Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Official Dwarf Fortress Music Project [Mod]  (Read 9629 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Dwarf Fortress Music Project [Mod]
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 06:16:00 pm »

I play electronic instruments exclusively, and I suck. These two factors will likely prevent me from contributing very much.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Duckmeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Official Dwarf Fortress Music Project
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 07:48:35 pm »

People have asked before if they can contribute music or other sound assets to DF and the answer has always been no.  You can distribute music as a mod, but "official" is misleading.
Like I said, it's mostly wishful thinking. Then it's now the "Official DF Music Project Mod". ;)

This is what I was trying to say.  If we were to make an official DF soundtrack it would have to be like the default music in the game.

If you want to limit everybody to use only authentic instruments from a limited time-period that has nothing to do with the game itself anyways, go ahead, no offense, but I think this can be explored a lot more.
When did I say I wanted to abandon the guitar? It's on the list, but I doubt people just want to sit there listening to a bunch of solo classical guitar songs. You ask me why I want to limit myself by limiting me to the guitar?

I fail to see how it has nothing to do with the game. Toady has clearly stated that he wants no post-1400 technology in the game, and I'm assuming this means music as well. Modern classical music has its roots in the Renaissance, a time period which this game is not set in. Too often today you have these sweeping orchestral pieces playing to a time period when such instruments had not even been invented yet, much less the style. The game is original, why should the music be relagated to some generic pieces?

When did I say that you said you wanted to abandon the guitar?  I think you have totally misunderstood what I was trying to say, somehow.

I was saying that you shouldn't limit yourself to medieval instruments or their counterparts, most certainly not because of an arbitrary decision, and because people would like to hear other stuff.  If you wanna make this mod for yourself and a few others who want to only hear medieval music, go ahead.
There is a fine line between genius and insanity.  I have erased this line.

xpCynic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 11:46:40 pm »

I happen to have a dulcimer and a violin, if either of those would help. I haven't played either for a while, but it shouldn't be too much work to relearn them. Could either of those be used?

MastaODisasta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 02:11:01 am »

I'm actually majoring in recorder performance at Indiana University, so if you want anything on that, I'd be happy to help.  I'll also be starting harpsichord lessons soon, so I can update you on that.
This is a signature.

Artyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 04:08:32 am »

I'm actually majoring in recorder performance at Indiana University, so if you want anything on that, I'd be happy to help.  I'll also be starting harpsichord lessons soon, so I can update you on that.
Oh yes, that would be fantastic! What range do you usually play? How many others can you play? If you have friends that could help I would really appreciate their help as well.

I happen to have a dulcimer and a violin, if either of those would help. I haven't played either for a while, but it shouldn't be too much work to relearn them. Could either of those be used?
Yes, of course. They are on the list after all! Better work on those chops man, they'll both be good for fast dances and folk songs.

When did I say that you said you wanted to abandon the guitar?  I think you have totally misunderstood what I was trying to say, somehow.

I was saying that you shouldn't limit yourself to medieval instruments or their counterparts, most certainly not because of an arbitrary decision, and because people would like to hear other stuff.  If you wanna make this mod for yourself and a few others who want to only hear medieval music, go ahead.
I have no idea at this point, but either way I'll have guitar. Both for rhythm and solo work.

I chose to "limit" myself because medieval music interests me, and I'm sure other people do as well. It's something most people don't hear very often today. Just as fantasy has invaded so many games, replacing history, so too has modern work followed it. One look at DF will show that besides a few major fantasy elements (creatures, magma, underground farms, etc.), it has many realistic elements as well. Of course I'll incorporate some modern styles to keep it from being too boring, but overall I'd like to keep the medieval feel.

That said, if you still want to help, I'd love to have you on the organ. That is, if you can play. ;)

I can play the tenor sax, which may/may not be fitting. Background part maybe?

I mean, not to be a downer, but I have a feeling that you instrument list is a little big for such a small forum.
Hmm, now that I think about it, the saxophone may sound a bit like a Rauschpfeife or something. I could fit it in.

That may be, but if that's the case then I could always branch out into some music forums, no?

Pure. Awesome.
It's like the PSone game Brave Fencer Musashi. The castle had a theme with one instrument, but as you travelled through the game world rescuing the other musicians, their instruments were added to the theme, and the effect was incredible.
Sadly, I have nothing to contribute to this. :(
Thank you, and that does sound like it would be a neat game concept.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 04:20:26 am by Artyr »

MastaODisasta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 07:49:44 pm »

I play soprano (range up to the C two octaves above middle C) down to tenor (which goes down to middle C).  I'll probably get a bass recorder sooner or later, so the range would go down to the F below middle C.  I'm not sure about getting a group together, but I have the tools to record multiple tracks and put them together.  I'll see what I can do though.  I'm not much of a composer, but if someone can provide the music, I'd be happy to help.
This is a signature.

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 11:32:10 pm »

I play the double bass and could probably get my hands on a microphone or something, if that's any use.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 09:40:07 am »

well, assuming we just play some music you send, record it, and send back the recording, I could probably help. I play the baritone horn (which sounds like a trombone, which sort of sounds like a sacbut) and I'm learning the trombone.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 11:20:55 am »

it might be cool to have music themes for the environment which is currently at the center of the view.

Or generated on the fly (to make it more 'interesting' ;) )
like a live theme combined from various channels: lead + tempo + ambient

for example:
ambient: evil/good, hot/cold, (maybe regulate general pitch of sounds)
environment: mountain/hills/woodlands/river etc (nature sounds as instruments)
lead: race of nearest creature, intelligent friend/foe.
tempo: # enemies alive nearby.

not randomised civilization themes, that seems to suck (i.e. spore)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 06:51:00 pm »

When i made my mega toy mod (Go Me!) someone made a mega instrument mod adding tons of instruments to the game.

So lets make some music!!!!   I never f9inished the rap song i made for the rap contest, well the music was done just not the second and third verse.   Ill make some stuff and upload it, I have ADD so take it and do as you will................
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 07:08:44 pm »

I'm a pretty decent keyboard player, so I could help out with the organ and harpsichord parts.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 07:59:33 pm »

So what sort of material are you looking for, exactly?  Whole songs with multiple instruments...'event' music...single-instrument tracks as part of one long common song?  Because it would be great to say "Okay, here's instrument A, and B, and D, and we'll play them all together".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Artyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 09:28:24 pm »

I play soprano (range up to the C two octaves above middle C) down to tenor (which goes down to middle C).  I'll probably get a bass recorder sooner or later, so the range would go down to the F below middle C.  I'm not sure about getting a group together, but I have the tools to record multiple tracks and put them together.  I'll see what I can do though.  I'm not much of a composer, but if someone can provide the music, I'd be happy to help.
Yeah, I'll write the music, but I need you to play. Soprano, Tenor, and Bass would be great, and if you can't get a group then multi-tracking by yourself should be enough.

I play the double bass and could probably get my hands on a microphone or something, if that's any use.
Hmm, not that I look it up, the Viol did have a contrabass version called the Violone which was replaced by the bass. So sure, you can join.

well, assuming we just play some music you send, record it, and send back the recording, I could probably help. I play the baritone horn (which sounds like a trombone, which sort of sounds like a sacbut) and I'm learning the trombone.
I know what a baritone is, and it would probably work moderately well as a Sacbut if you can't manage the Trombone yet. I would prefer Trombone, but I take them as I can get them. You have the right idea, I send you the music and you record solo or with a recording, depending on what's available and how you wanna do it. Then I'll mix them together.

EDIT: I'm thinking the baritone might be a good analog for the Serpent. Not sure on that though.

it might be cool to have music themes for the environment which is currently at the center of the view.

Or generated on the fly (to make it more 'interesting' ;) )
like a live theme combined from various channels: lead + tempo + ambient
I'm pretty sure that would only work with MIDI sounds, epsecially for things like tempo. If I speed up the tempo on a recording then the sound will get distorted, but I can write for things like battle, peace, working, etc. Just different scenarios that crop up. Maybe even one for magma or chasms, and definately an evil one for the HFS.

When i made my mega toy mod (Go Me!) someone made a mega instrument mod adding tons of instruments to the game.

So lets make some music!!!!   I never f9inished the rap song i made for the rap contest, well the music was done just not the second and third verse.   Ill make some stuff and upload it, I have ADD so take it and do as you will................
Pretty sure they didn't have rap in the Middle Ages. Sorry...

I'm a pretty decent keyboard player, so I could help out with the organ and harpsichord parts.
I'll have to hear it first. ;) But your in.

So what sort of material are you looking for, exactly?  Whole songs with multiple instruments...'event' music...single-instrument tracks as part of one long common song?  Because it would be great to say "Okay, here's instrument A, and B, and D, and we'll play them all together".
Basically, ambient music, event music, solos, and band music. The solos and band music would be the one where making dwarven musicians would matter, but if you don't want to do that then there's always the complete background music so everyone gets something. But you always get more if you work for it, just like the rest of the game. All in the late Medieval/early Renaissance style of course.

I'll be adding a list of people on the first post shortly. EDIT: Done.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:38:15 pm by Artyr »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 09:54:32 pm »

well, seeing as I'm barely beginning to learn trombone, baritone music would be more likely. I usually play treble clef, but I'm pretty much fluent in Bass clef.

you can contact me at kingstubby411@yahoo.com or hermythewormy@hotmail.com.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2009, 10:16:38 pm »

Ah!

'procedural' was the buzzword I was looking for. :D

I'm not musically inclined in the least, only got a buddy who`s an ambient freak/DJ.
Never understand what he's doing/gabbing on about, but it's interesting in it's way.
(like attending a lecture on someting completely outside your area of expertise and only catching some of the key words or even an occasional verb!)

Sometimes he shows me his 'musicmaker' software with is't dataflows and charts and whatnot, IIUC each input can be linked to a channel or filter altering pitch/tone according to input X for example. t'is really ingeneous.

I'm limited to whistling and humming (can't even memorise lyrics) though, not much help there.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 [2] 3