Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Official Dwarf Fortress Music Project [Mod]  (Read 9619 times)

Artyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Official Dwarf Fortress Music Project [Mod]
« on: January 23, 2009, 07:25:06 pm »

Greetings everyone. As I sit in my music classes now-a-days I can't help but wonder about the music in Dwarf Fortress. That is, there's not much. Only a lone guitar piece, and you can't even make a guitar in the game! In fact, the only string instrument to make is the harp, but that's not my only complaint.

As it stands, instruments are only good for two things; making dwarves happy when the economy hits, and trading. The latter isn't very useful though, and the former is only a minor inconvenience. So I propose a change to the way instruments, and music, is handled in dwarf fortress. This will take a long time and a lot of effort for all involved. I'll get back to that.

Firstly, I'd like it if you could make more than 5 instruments. Right now there are flutes, trumpets, harps, drums, and piccolos. Hardly what was around during the 13th century. I propose a new list of available instruments to create that reflect the times.Along with that I'd like a new workshop to create them. You could call it a Music Shop or something. I'm not quite sure.

Also, dwarves should be able to pick up these instruments and play them using a new Musician skill, practicing in private, kind of like sparring. They'd gain skill in that instrument only, so they can't switch and play at the same level. It'd be nice if there were some kind of equip menu to give certain dwarves different instruments, but that might be asking a little much. Then, when you want them to play for an audience you give them the order to. I suppose you could do this using the job menu, but again it would be nice if you could organize them into military-like squads and station them in specific places. Their playing would give any dwarf in the vicinity happy thoughts, but more then that...

It activates music depending on the instruments played! As dwarves start to play their different instruments, different tracks are activated together to form a song depending on the instruments being played. This wouldn't be perfect, but it would still be neat to be able to hear different song depending on how many instruments you've created. Of course all instruments would have solos, but then there'd also be trios, quartets, quintets, and so on. Of course there could also be just general pieces for the different seasons and battle 'n such. Will have to discuss that.

I'm looking for people to either play, compose, or both. It would be nice if we had some real medieval instrument players here, but I doubt we do, so I'll post a list of modern equivalents that can be used with their medieval counterpart. Some are still played to this day, like the organ and bagpipes. All instruments are from this website: http://www.music.iastate.edu/antiqua/instrumt.html

I'll play all the percussion parts, but I still need people who can play:
Bagpipes
Oboe (Shawm, Bladder Pipe, etc.)
Bassoon (Crumhorn, Cornamuse, etc.)
Dulcimer
Cello/Guitar (Gamba)
Harp
Harpsichord
Hurdy-Gurdy
Horn (Zink, Lizard, Serpent)
Lute
Organ
Zither (Psaltery)
Violin (Rebec)
Recorders
Trombone (Sacbut)
Flute (Transverse Flute)
Viola (Viol)
And singing in any range for choir.

Any questions/comments/suggestions are appreciated!

Musicians so far:
Duckmeister (Keyboard, Guitar)
Salmeuk (Tenor Saxophone)
xpCynic (Violin, Dulcimer)
MastaODisasta (Soprano, Tenor, <Bass> Recorder)
Wimdit (Double Bass)
Barbarossa the Seal God (Baritone, <Trombone>)
Karlito (Keyboard)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:37:45 pm by Artyr »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Dwarf Fortress Music Project
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 07:46:55 pm »

Official?  Really?

Still, that's pretty neat idea.  You'd pretty much need one big long song, with a few different instrumental tracks for it for each instrument.  (Would be nice to convert a normally-rhythm instrument to melody if you have only rhythm in your dwaven band, for example).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 08:15:49 pm »

I fully support this, sadly I cant play any thing worth shit. But I have a few suggestions: Add Harmonicas and Ocerinas to that list.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Duckmeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 09:19:15 pm »

I think your instrument list is asking a little too much, but I'd be willing to record guitar, percussion, piano (keyboard for organ, if that's okay), bass, and other miscellaneous sounds (you'd be surprised what kind of sounds you can make with a simple tap and a nice computer program).  Basically, if you're stuck for something you need, I can probably replicate it on other instruments using various techniques, pedals/dials, and computer programming.

I don't know if medieval is the way to go, some folks might like other things, and plus, depending on what part of the world you're in, that should affect what music is played.  I think the current guitar pieces in the game fit really well, and aren't necessarily "medieval".  I don't know if we should even go for a type of style at all, just record instruments by themselves.  You'd might have to limit the number of Hendrix-style guitar tracks coming from me then though :)

Sounds like a good idea overall, hopefully either you (if you can mod) or someone else will get started working on what seems to be immense coding, I highly doubt toady will start working on this, with all the other stuff he has to do.
There is a fine line between genius and insanity.  I have erased this line.

Artyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 09:43:39 pm »

Official?  Really?

Still, that's pretty neat idea.  You'd pretty much need one big long song, with a few different instrumental tracks for it for each instrument.  (Would be nice to convert a normally-rhythm instrument to melody if you have only rhythm in your dwaven band, for example).
Well, it's more of wishful thinking, but I'm the only one that's proposed it as far as I know.

Yeah. A good example that comes to me is Age of Empires 2, where there's half an hours worth of miscellaneous songs. Good idea too.
I fully support this, sadly I cant play any thing worth shit. But I have a few suggestions: Add Harmonicas and Ocerinas to that list.
Ocarina maybe, but the harmonica is too modern. It might be hard to find an ocarina player too.
I think your instrument list is asking a little too much, but I'd be willing to record guitar, percussion, piano (keyboard for organ, if that's okay), bass, and other miscellaneous sounds (you'd be surprised what kind of sounds you can make with a simple tap and a nice computer program).  Basically, if you're stuck for something you need, I can probably replicate it on other instruments using various techniques, pedals/dials, and computer programming.

I don't know if medieval is the way to go, some folks might like other things, and plus, depending on what part of the world you're in, that should affect what music is played.  I think the current guitar pieces in the game fit really well, and aren't necessarily "medieval".  I don't know if we should even go for a type of style at all, just record instruments by themselves.  You'd might have to limit the number of Hendrix-style guitar tracks coming from me then though :)

Sounds like a good idea overall, hopefully either you (if you can mod) or someone else will get started working on what seems to be immense coding, I highly doubt toady will start working on this, with all the other stuff he has to do.
Like I said, I have percussion well covered, but the others are fine. Except bass, if you mean bass guitar. It definately wasn't around then. Something I feel I need to say though; I would prefer if all the instruments were live and not electronic. I think it would sound much much better, especially because if I used electronics then all I would need to do everything would be a keyboard, and that's no fun and doesn't sound nearly as good. Rarer instruments like the zither and dulcimer and maybe keyboard instruments can be electronic because it's hard to find people that can play them and a real one to record with. But other then that I would prefer real ones.

Sure some more styles can be used, but I'd generally like to keep the medieval feel, as that's the level of technology of the game. I may go up to the 17th century in terms of style, but if people want to listen to rock then they can just turn it off and listen to their own music.

As for coding, right now my focus is the music, but it if there are any good modders out there reading this I could use your help.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 09:49:57 pm »

I have to say, if we wanted to do an official music project... wouldn't it be better spent composing tracks for the game similar to Toady's guitar work?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 09:53:04 pm »

People have asked before if they can contribute music or other sound assets to DF and the answer has always been no.  You can distribute music as a mod, but "official" is misleading.

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 10:13:18 pm »

i just dont see why you limit yourself to "old" and "realistic" instruments? ..df isnt a medieval och historical game, its a fantasy game!
not trying to diss here or anything, but i really enjoy "traditional pc-rpg-style-music", like diablo2 or any other good title ..creepy dungeon themes and such.

Duckmeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 10:20:19 pm »

I have to say, if we wanted to do an official music project... wouldn't it be better spent composing tracks for the game similar to Toady's guitar work?

i just dont see why you limit yourself to "old" and "realistic" instruments? ..df isnt a medieval och historical game, its a fantasy game!
not trying to diss here or anything, but i really enjoy "traditional pc-rpg-style-music", like diablo2 or any other good title ..creepy dungeon themes and such.

This is what I was trying to say.  If we were to make an official DF soundtrack it would have to be like the default music in the game.

If you want to limit everybody to use only authentic instruments from a limited time-period that has nothing to do with the game itself anyways, go ahead, no offense, but I think this can be explored a lot more.
There is a fine line between genius and insanity.  I have erased this line.

Artyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 11:07:03 pm »

People have asked before if they can contribute music or other sound assets to DF and the answer has always been no.  You can distribute music as a mod, but "official" is misleading.
Like I said, it's mostly wishful thinking. Then it's now the "Official DF Music Project Mod". ;)

This is what I was trying to say.  If we were to make an official DF soundtrack it would have to be like the default music in the game.

If you want to limit everybody to use only authentic instruments from a limited time-period that has nothing to do with the game itself anyways, go ahead, no offense, but I think this can be explored a lot more.
When did I say I wanted to abandon the guitar? It's on the list, but I doubt people just want to sit there listening to a bunch of solo classical guitar songs. You ask me why I want to limit myself by limiting me to the guitar?

I fail to see how it has nothing to do with the game. Toady has clearly stated that he wants no post-1400 technology in the game, and I'm assuming this means music as well. Modern classical music has its roots in the Renaissance, a time period which this game is not set in. Too often today you have these sweeping orchestral pieces playing to a time period when such instruments had not even been invented yet, much less the style. The game is original, why should the music be relagated to some generic pieces?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Official Dwarf Fortress Music Project [Mod]
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 12:23:46 am »

I can play the tenor sax, which may/may not be fitting. Background part maybe?

I mean, not to be a downer, but I have a feeling that you instrument list is a little big for such a small forum.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 05:08:04 am »

mod

So are you willing to figure out the code to get an in-game profession to trigger sound cues, which Toady himself has neither done nor concieved any framework for?

If so, more power to ya, but good luck.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 09:53:06 am »

Yes, I share this opinion also.
*edit*
Official mod? That sounds weird.... :D

PS. The idea is good of course.  :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:54:46 am by Tormy »

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 01:24:17 pm »

I wish I had a hurdy gurdy. They're pretty cool instruments. I have a mando and a few guitars but no recording equipment.  :-\

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 03:17:04 pm »

Pure. Awesome.
It's like the PSone game Brave Fencer Musashi. The castle had a theme with one instrument, but as you travelled through the game world rescuing the other musicians, their instruments were added to the theme, and the effect was incredible.
Sadly, I have nothing to contribute to this. :(
Pages: [1] 2 3