Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Official Dwarf Fortress Music Project [Mod]  (Read 9621 times)

Duckmeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Official Dwarf Fortress Music Project [Mod]
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2009, 10:58:07 pm »

Ah!

'procedural' was the buzzword I was looking for. :D

I'm not musically inclined in the least, only got a buddy who`s an ambient freak/DJ.
Never understand what he's doing/gabbing on about, but it's interesting in it's way.
(like attending a lecture on someting completely outside your area of expertise and only catching some of the key words or even an occasional verb!)

Sometimes he shows me his 'musicmaker' software with is't dataflows and charts and whatnot, IIUC each input can be linked to a channel or filter altering pitch/tone according to input X for example. t'is really ingeneous.

I'm limited to whistling and humming (can't even memorise lyrics) though, not much help there.

You can always just chant like monks.

If you know how to, you could just dub your voice over itself and it would seem like theirs a ton of monks chanting.  For practice you could do the beginning of the Halo theme.
There is a fine line between genius and insanity.  I have erased this line.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2009, 01:42:28 am »

there are even programs that would let you chant into a microphone, copy the recording a majillion times, slightly altering the pitch! Also, Finale notepad works. It's simple, as long as you know the range of certain instruments and how to read music in general.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MastaODisasta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2009, 09:26:26 am »

Yeah, Audacity is a great, free program that lets you do all sorts of stuff with audio.
This is a signature.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 08:09:07 pm »

so when is the music coming? or do we write it ourselves?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 08:23:47 pm »

so when is the music coming? or do we write it ourselves?
Welcome to the point of the thread!  Yes, we make it ourselves.  Can you play an instrument?  Can you compose?  Help make something!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2009, 12:09:36 am »

As I have stated before, YES I can play. My point was is that it'd be nice if someone could write an example, that way we don't sound like some kind of celtic techno heavy metal harmonica ensemble.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Artyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2009, 01:10:33 am »

I'm writing the majority of the music, but if you think you can write music in the medieval style then go for it. Mind you, I don't have to accept it, but I'll do my best to give you criticism and advice if you do. That said, it takes awhile to write music, and I'm still searching for players. I'll try and get an example up by tomorrow, but it's not a guarantee.

Also, today I asked my friend at school to help me. He has a lot of experience with this; he knows the style and plays violin/viola very well. He also has a relative that plays harpsicord/organ professionally, but I'm not sure if I could get her to play. She might be able to give me advice though.

MastaODisasta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2009, 11:21:47 am »

Actually I think I will try to write some music, most likely something simple like a four part chorale or something.  The thing is though, I want to like lyrics as well and I want to use the dwarfish (?) vocabulary.  Does the language have any syntax rules or do we just have the words?  How do suggest I do this?

Oh, and I am planning on writing an Ode to Urist.
This is a signature.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 01:06:11 pm »

Actually I do not believe this mod will be possible. It would require some utility that is reading DF's memory and playing the music.

What I see possible and WOULD LOVE is soundtrack. Also it would be much easier.

Oh, and I am planning on writing an Ode to Urist.

Nice ... wait ... you plan only one? That is not enough
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

MastaODisasta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2009, 01:40:44 pm »

Well I think the aforementioned procedurally generated soundtrack is out of our grasp for the moment, but even something as simple as a playlist of original songs that you can play in the background I think would be cool.  So when the siege comes you can go to the siege music on itunes (or WMP or whatever).

Maybe I can write a collection dedicated to Urist, but the first part is actually writing the songs.  Its just an idea right now, but hopefully it will lead somewhere.
This is a signature.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2009, 11:08:43 pm »

Honestly, procedural music might just be easier than all this mess  :-\ No offense, but I doubt if anybody could organize a project like this and get enough sounds to make it work

Procedural music worked out ok in Spore... except it kept looping... but that's fixable.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Philipp Sobecki

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2009, 08:30:26 am »

Hi there,

I'm happy to see people wanting to do some DF soundtrack seriously. I've recently started working on DF-music-stuff, but it can take a while. It's somewhere on the bottom of my priority list, because I have some other music to work on for the composition-tests on a conservatory and the time is running.
Currently, there are two DF-related projects waiting: A rather mathematic conversion of the tileset-engine into sound so that you can hear what's going on (this will sound pretty awful for people who are not into modern music ;D Think of Iannis Xenakis) and a more traditional approach to DF music.
I like the idea to make music with the guitar as the most prominent instrument (as in the original soundtrack), but expanding it with more "dwarven" instruments (see craftable instruments and maybe other sources, like Races of Stone, a pretty dwarvish D&D-supplement, depending whether it's not clashing with the DF-dwarfes).

Just want to make sure that interest in DF music is not slated for removal, just suspended ;)

After I'm done with that other stuff, I'd be happy to work together with other DF-people. There's a lot of planning to do, like analyzing the original soundtrack (I've seen tabs somewhere around), looking for authentic musical elements and asking how the people want their soundtrack.

It's not important for me to implement the music into the game, it's more like a tribute or something like that. Just serious music about DF.

Greetings,

Philipp
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 08:37:17 am by Philipp Sobecki »
Pages: 1 2 [3]