Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The birth(and eventual death) of a roguelike  (Read 5070 times)

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The birth(and eventual death) of a roguelike
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 04:39:13 pm »

Okay I'm Canadian and planning on going into the field of programming, My teacher told me bout this website http://compsci.ca/v3/index.php. Hope it helps you solve and problems you run into, they are very helpful there.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 01:37:46 am »

there was a freeware program out ages and ages ago called game maker that we used in high school programming classes to quickly and easily make pretty complex games using 2d graphics. you could even stretch it and do 2.5d games like doom and duke nukem 3d if you were knowledgeable enough.

a quick search reveals its still out there, though its no longer anything like the beast i once knew, it seems whoever is running it now is doing so to make a profit, through posting the games people contribute in a browser window.

heres the link http://www.yoyogames.com/make

i made a pretty extensive top down multiplayer shooter with this around 5 or 6 years ago, its very easy to use, extremely adaptable, and if you dont want to write using its fairly robust programming language, then you can use little drag and drop icons that represent the standard programming constructs, which should be enough to get a roguelike game off the ground. when i used it you could make games multiplayer over network, though learning how to code for that was a but much for me back in high school.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 07:53:13 am »

I have seen it, and it can do some neat things, but I already have a decent graphics base up and running in C, and C is faster, allowing all the fancy stuff I ever cared to add, even if I don't optimise it much.
Eh?
Eh!

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 09:38:41 am »

yarr, but for the rest of us who dont have the stamina required to learn c as a hobby, then game maker is a nice option. the executables you output with it wont be nearly as fast as doing things in c, but if your inexperienced then its easy to make pretty looking and reasonably functional stuff. also, nice going there with what you have put together so far, its looking good.

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2009, 09:39:11 am »

...then game maker is a nice option. the executables you output with it wont be nearly as fast as doing things in c, but if your inexperienced then its easy to make pretty looking and reasonably functional stuff...

QFT, an example of which is Battleships Forever.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009, 04:50:47 pm »

So, I am abusing how nice the solid system is to make a wall type only solid to SOLID_AI and not putting SOLID_AI on the player.

Also, FOV.

And I converted it from 4 to 8 bits per color, allowing full colors!

Hint on the FOV: I am using a­²+b²=c², but instead using x²+y²­>=FOV, allowing for more detailed results, and saving the time required to do a square root on it.
Eh?
Eh!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 03:46:39 am »

...then game maker is a nice option. the executables you output with it wont be nearly as fast as doing things in c, but if your inexperienced then its easy to make pretty looking and reasonably functional stuff...

QFT, an example of which is Battleships Forever.

And also Spelunky.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 03:49:52 am by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.
Pages: 1 2 [3]