Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cinnabar Jewelry  (Read 5345 times)

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cinnabar Jewelry
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 11:42:20 am »

Surely this means we must use lead bars for all our constructions!

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 04:17:33 pm »

How bought those uranium bars, I mean those are perfectly safe, keep the lead for drinking cups.

Archaeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Predator Angrinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 07:28:52 pm »

I now intend to construct a tower of Poisonous materials, alongside my BLING BLING Tower.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 07:36:25 pm »

Ortoclase is alos poisonous and pretty enought  :P thought its not red either.
Isn't orthoclase just a variety of microcline?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 08:59:22 pm »

Your right legolord :P i meant Orpiment. Cause Qripment and Orthoclase are both yellow i must have mixed them.

Wikipedia:

Orpiment presented problems, however, such as its extreme toxicity and its incompatibility with other common pigments like lead and copper-based substances such as verdigris and azurite.

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 02:23:00 pm »

The lesson here is that nothing that comes out of the ground is safe and that's why there are no dwarves any more.

Maybe constant exposure to toxins explains the moronic/suicidal behavior of the little guys? The Franklin Expidition went to pot because there was lead in their food (among other reasons eerily similar to your average game of DF).
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 03:34:09 pm »

A very good explanation it is.  And a good reason why inorganic poisons, however awesome, might best be put after AI improvements.  Just imagine how idiotic dwarves would be if lead-poisoned on top of their normal behavior.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 10:37:26 am »

At least selling lead mugs to elves will actually make sense...
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 06:55:10 pm »

Actually, lead in its pure elemental form (a.k.a. metal form) is largely harmless unless swallowed directly.  It's the lead ions that are harmful.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 12:35:06 am »

And I make things out of cinnabar to distinguish them...

I need to consult wikipedia before I build things, so I don't make the water tower out of poisonous, carcinogenic, and radioactive rocks.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 01:28:08 am »

A very good explanation it is.  And a good reason why inorganic poisons, however awesome, might best be put after AI improvements.  Just imagine how idiotic dwarves would be if lead-poisoned on top of their normal behavior.
Symptoms and effects

The symptoms of chronic lead poisoning include neurological problems, such as permanent and temporary reduced cognitive abilities, or nausea, abdominal pain, irritability, insomnia, metal taste in the mouth, excess lethargy or hyperactivity, chest pain, headache and, in extreme cases, seizures, comas, and death. There are also associated gastrointestinal problems, such as constipation, diarrhea, vomiting, poor appetite, weight loss, which are common in acute poisoning. Other associated effects are anemia, kidney problems, and reproductive problems. It has been shown to cause permanently reduced cognitive capacity (intelligence) in children, with apparently no lower threshold to the dose-response relationship (unlike e.g. mercury.)

Lead poisoning IS their normal behavior.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 03:19:11 am »

Actually, lead in its pure elemental form (a.k.a. metal form) is largely harmless unless swallowed directly.  It's the lead ions that are harmful.

Flowing liquid can dislodge it enough, I think; Roman plumbing was pretty bad when it didn't have calcium deposits lining it.

And if it's a mug/dinnerware, you ARE putting your mouth on it a lot. :P

Also, a lot of drinks have a fairly non-neutral pH, which helps lead oxidize, creating said ions.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 03:20:09 am »

I think I had a dwarf once that actually had cinnabar as one of his/her likes. 

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 04:21:23 am »

This may be true but bear in mind that lead is one of the softest metals known to man which is still a solid at room temperature. It does rub off on you from the mere mechanical action of gripping it.

I used to work at a store which specialized in car batteries, which have lead terminals on them, and the amount of lead you get on your person merely by interacting with and handling it is definitely more than enough to be a health hazard. For women it is entirely enough to cause miscarriage or birth defects, if not outright dementia if safety precautions are not followed.

We had a strict hand-washing rule at the store, where every time someone handled the batteries they would wash thoroughly afterward. Nonetheless I am certain that my blood lead level was still likely to be elevated above average during that time period.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 04:24:09 am »

Normally, when forced to work in conditions like that, the words, "sue sue sue ka-ching", ring out in my mind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3