Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tileset-artist-helper program request  (Read 649 times)

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tileset-artist-helper program request
« on: January 31, 2009, 09:55:01 am »

So. In 40d9+, we can have the png alpha channel for use in nice edges. However, I have not found an editor that can do everything that MSpaint does as easily AND work with alpha channels (Paint.NET comes close but not quite). So, if anyone knows of such a program, I'd be delighted. If nobody does, here is the request that somebody create for us:

EDIT3: This is a rather mangled post. Semiscratch EDIT2. And scratch EDIT1. But not so much EDIT0.

EDIT2: Revised my ideas:

A program that sets the new alpha values to the old green (if I have a white-on-magenta image, green is what I want) values and sets the new red, green, and blue values to FF.

Alternatively, a way to do that with any freely available program, like GIMP. That would be wonderful too.

Alternatively, a way to do that with Photoshop CS4.

A program that replaces magenta with alpha. So # WX YZ WX (red green blue) would turn to # YZ YZ YZ WX (red green blue transparent). I personally don't see a need to ever use non-gray colors, so that wouldn't interfere.

Alternatively, a way to do that with any freely available program, like GIMP. That would be wonderful too.

EDIT1: A program that converted grays like # XY XY XY to transparents of # FF FF FF XY would be able to convert most current tilesets and would be as useful for 99% of cases.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 10:21:13 pm by Savok »
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Tileset-artist-helper program request
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 10:01:18 am »

Ah, I just wanted to post about Photoshop, but it's not free.... :-\
[I am using Adobe Photoshop CS4..]

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 10:05:42 am »

It can do that?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 10:15:33 am »

Well, I haven't tried something like this so far, but Photoshop is the best gfx software, so it should be able to do that.  :)

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 10:26:54 am »

Oh. Well I'm downloading the trial anyway.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 11:52:46 am »

In Photoshop, just open the BMP file, switch to the magic eraser, set "tolerance" to 0 (so it doesn't get nearly-magenta colors), un-check "Contiguous" (so it gets all unconnected bits of magenta wherever they are), then use the tool somewhere in the magenta. All magenta will be erased, leaving transparent.
Then, File->"Save for Web and Devices", and save as PNG-24 for full alpha transparency support (PNG-8 only supports transparency as another color, like GIF does).
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 12:27:54 pm »

Oh, I can do that easily enough with GIMP. I want to turn semi-magenta pixels into semi-transparent pixels.

Or turn greyscale into transparencyscale, so that all pixels are white with varying levels of transparency. For myself, that would be easiest.

For that last one, I basically want to set the alpha channel values to those of another channel (green, for white-on-magenta) and then max all three color channels, so that the image is white, with a lot of transparency.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 12:30:57 pm by Savok »