Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2 questions  (Read 2350 times)

cinque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2 questions
« on: January 28, 2009, 01:47:26 pm »

Okay, i've been playing this game for about a month, and there's a couple of things i'm curious about.  Please excuse my ignorance - I never make it very far past the first week of February, at best, because DeFreeze always dies quickly, usually in a high-speed chase.  In any case:

1. how do you establish your newspaper?

2. what does promoting a liberal do?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 02:04:08 pm »

the newspapper
needs $20000 and can only be done at a empty factory.

promoting a liberal means that you dont risk loseing them if there boss dies
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 02:08:51 pm »

1st: make sure you are playing the most recent version.  That's the version that our good man JohnnyFox is putting up, not the version on the front page.

Newspaper: press "z" in the normal game menu until you select a site (other then the homeless shelter) where you want to build the paper.  Press "i" to invest in the location and buy a printing press

Promoting: Promoting means that instead of reporting to their recruiter (or current boss), the liberal instead reports to their recruiter's (or current bosses) boss.  You can't promote love slaves and the new boss must have space in their recruitment cap.  IIRC, Liberals can lose contact with the squad if their boss is killed.  Liberals also can only break under pressure and rat out those 1 level above their boss.  So if Cinque recruits Sara and Sara recrutis Jim and Jim gets caught and rats on the squad, Jim's ratting will hurt Sara but not Cinque.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

cinque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 03:59:33 pm »

Yes, I do have J Fox's version.  Thanks guys.  That's the info I needed, and that's what I thought promotion does.  So, if DeFreeze dies or is apprehended, I can have a Bernardine Dohrn or an Eldridge Cleaver take over and run things.  I always split my membership into three teams - Symbionese Liberation Army, Weathermen/Weather Underground, and Black Panther Party For Self-Defense/Black Liberation Army.  The reason I mention this - other than self-indulgence - is because it leads me to my next question:  is there a way to dismiss liberals besides sending them on some kind of suicide mission?  I'd like to know, because I always change the name of every one of my recruits by matching up their stats with those of real-life 60's/70's radicals - only to have that all ruined when I hit a garment factory and get saddled with these liberated workers who I can't possibly find a historical analogue for.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:24:30 pm »

I do not think there is such a way to dismiss liberals other than suicide missions (I recommend getting some moltov cocktails when doing suicide missions, so you can shut buildings down).

Alternatively, you could attempt to name those workers based on important Mexican labor activists, either in Mexico or in the US (like Ceser Chavez, I won some money writing a poem honoring him). I don't know of any violent Mexican labor activists though, who would qualify (the only one I know at the moment is Andrés Manuel López Obrador, and that's because he ran as a Presidental candinate for Mexico and almost won, and launched protests due to alleged electoral fraud).
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:33:52 pm »

Sweatshop workers will be deported if they are arrested.  So they don't need to die if you are squeemish.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 11:18:15 pm »

Ahh, yeah, just commit a crime in the presence of a police officer and talk to them. I think their boss will take a juice hit for it though, but that might be true of suicide missions too.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 11:57:06 pm »

http://lcs.wikidot.com/juice

Strangely, the liberal wiki indicates that juice loss for the death of a subordinate only happens during a car crash or if the cops find the body.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 01:56:29 am »

I think the logic there was that you didn't bury them in both cases, but that should apply to suicide missions too. Go figure.

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 05:18:28 am »

On the note of leadership:

Is there any possibility that in some future LCS release, one will be able to pick ones lieutenants through other means than recruitment?

I mean, if one of your Liberal Associates have recruited a skilled individual, you might want him in charge of something.

Oh, and a suicide mission leaves little remains, and is a glorious way to go! Vive la revolución!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 12:33:26 pm »

Do you mean giving someone subordinates neither they nor their subordinates recruited?

Because you can always promote people down the ladder to a higher level and have them act as your lieutenant, they just have to do the recruiting to construct their "branch" of the LCS themselves -- you can't transfer existing Liberals laterally across the organization to serve under them.

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 01:09:06 pm »

Ah, sorry for phrasing it so badly. Yes, that's what I meant. Having the recruited switch between superiors would be nice. Maybe there could be some kind of leadership check for it?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 01:10:51 pm »

If you could pass subordinates down the chain, it would increase the potential of a single recruiter.  Your founder could recruit an infinite number of people and just pass them down the chain to keep under her recruitment cap.  So recruitment caps would stop being individual and become group, in effect.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 11:56:32 pm »

Like in real life, the Leutenant isn't the most skilled person, just the person with the most clout.   ;D

Not sure how the successor is decided by the game, actually, and I don't think number of followers is it.  But I haven't really looked, so that may be it.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 01:04:36 am »

If your founder dies, it's the person with the best combination of leadership skill (from running a powerful wing of the organization) and juice (from acting personally) that takes over. If nobody has enough of these things to lead, then the LCS collapses.
Pages: [1] 2