Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you view female dwarves as having beards?

Yes.
- 131 (51.2%)
No.
- 96 (37.5%)
I don't view either gender as having facial hair.
- 2 (0.8%)
What the hell is a dwarve?
- 11 (4.3%)
I think Toady said something about this one time, and I'm too spineless to make a wrong guess that might contradict DF canon.
- 16 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 256

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Do You Picture Female Dwarfs as Having Beards?  (Read 15781 times)

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Picture Female Dwarfs as Having Beards?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 11:16:07 pm »

Jesus Christ, you crazy, I don't want uglier dwarfettes, though they pack muscles, they still have the body, and the fact the are usually born with medium slim, to medium wide frames, they still deserve beauty, and don't think about putting mushrooms on them.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 11:38:34 pm »

Beardless

If they all had beards, dwarves would not consider beards to be a sexual characteristic. I laugh in your face for suggesting such nonsense good sir

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 12:47:03 am »

Beards for all of 'em. It just seems more dwarven. Anyone who doesn't think so is unnecessarily projecting human traits onto dwarves.

Artyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 02:04:35 am »

No, I don't think they should have beards because humans don't. From an evolutionary standpoint, assuming dwarves share a common ancestor with humans, it would be likely that they would have similarities. As is, they are basically shorter, stronger, longer lived humans. It's hard to say how sexual selection would have effected them, especially considering beards as sterotypically used by hunters to stave off the hot sun or the cold. As is, dwarven women work just as well as the men, but then again it could be a relatively modern practice, just as deep shaft mining probably wouldn't have started until after metallurgy.

Judging by the presence of cave adaptation, dwarves aren't evolutionarily adapted to living underground, but rather they are culturally adapted. They may have had a predisposition to living underground after venturing into the mountains and living out of caves, but by lacking heavy body hair they share humans' sweat glands from spending long periods of time in the sun, running, or for swimming. This can be a good arguement of the common ancestor, probably also shared by elves. Goblins are a whole other story...

This is all speculation though, and it's practically impossible without empirical data because, well, there is none. But I would imagine that sexual dimorphism would be similar to humans and beards would be chosen as a predominantly masculine trait.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 02:13:22 am »

Of course female dwarves have beards.  ::)

Wow, that's a fairly even spread.

We've actually found a topic of rather balanced contention.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2009, 02:25:24 am »

Yeah, for those of you who have wives, imagine them with a super massive, and distasteful facial hair, and other male body hair, yes, chest hair, a mustache, arm hair, leg hair, pit hair, back hair, and butt cheek hair... ear hair... and some other places.

Would you want that ( oh and it's the first impression when you see them like that ) , and Dwarves don't get Mead Goggles, or Hazy Minds.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 02:27:50 am by Foa »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2009, 03:59:40 am »

Yeah, for those of you who have wives, imagine them with a super massive, and distasteful facial hair, and other male body hair, yes, chest hair, a mustache, arm hair, leg hair, pit hair, back hair, and butt cheek hair... ear hair... and some other places.

Would you want that ( oh and it's the first impression when you see them like that ) , and Dwarves don't get Mead Goggles, or Hazy Minds.

See, that's the thing.  We're not dwarves - dwarves would look at that differently.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2009, 04:01:07 am »

No offense, but I won't accept arguments like "they have to look pretty". Because:
1) There is no reason for dwarven females to be sexually appealing to humans.
2) If you insist, bearded women can indeed look pretty.
3) I've seen too much artists' obsession to make all drawn women look hot. For example, reptiles do not have breasts, and yet lizardwomen are drawn having them. It's quite alike with dwarves and their beards.

By the way, classic (Tolkien, early DnD, norse mythology) dwarves were portrayed as having seemingly no females at all. It was supposed that either dwarves were hiding them, or female dwarves were hardly distinguishable from male ones. So - beards.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 04:02:42 am by Murphy »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 04:03:49 am »

I have it on good authority that women already have all this hair.  They just either shave it, or it isn't very thick or dark to begin with.  Also, if my girlfriend liked my beard, why couldn't I like her with a beard(aside from that being weird.)
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2009, 05:10:21 am »

All dwarves have beards. Procreation is neccecary but not sought after.

To a dwarf, gender I'd optional.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2009, 08:38:34 am »

Huh what the hell...we had a similar thread  a couple of months ago... :o
Anyway, yes I picture female midgets dwarves as having beards.  ;)

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2009, 09:31:00 am »

No, I don't think they should have beards because humans don't. From an evolutionary standpoint, assuming dwarves share a common ancestor with humans...
Um... they all just appear out of nowhere in year 1.

By the way, classic (Tolkien, early DnD, norse mythology) dwarves were portrayed as having seemingly no females at all.
DnD. Really. If you care what DnD and Tolkien have to say on the matter, why not go with DF canon?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:39:37 am by Fenrir »

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2009, 10:05:50 am »

My favorite dwarves are Terry Pratchett dwarves, and the more DF dwarves are like Pratchett Dwarves, the happier I am.  Thus, yes, dwarven women are bearded.  Non-traditional female dwarves might braid theirs, wear high-heel steel-toed boots, and put glitter on their battle axes, but they're still dwarves.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2009, 10:45:58 am »

just look at my avatar and guess ^^
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2009, 11:22:35 am »

My favorite dwarves are Terry Pratchett dwarves, and the more DF dwarves are like Pratchett Dwarves, the happier I am.  Thus, yes, dwarven women are bearded.  Non-traditional female dwarves might braid theirs, wear high-heel steel-toed boots, and put glitter on their battle axes, but they're still dwarves.

Dwarf courtship is a long, drawn-own and extremely tactful process, and the main focus is finding out the gender of the other dwarf  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15